Gravy's Cooking Thread

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Not really a salmon fan. It's OK pan fried, but I'd rather have almost any other fish.

I like it a lot more when it's marinated. I started with this recipe, but withheld the water and substituted in 1 tbsp of lime juice instead of lemon juice. Then, I put the marinade in a Ziploc and let the filets sit for 2 hours.

After that, Instant Pot, bake, or pan-fry; your choice. Voila, rum and coke-style salmon. Works great on trout, too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like it a lot more when it's marinated. I started with this recipe, but withheld the water and substituted in 1 tbsp of lime juice instead of lemon juice. Then, I put the marinade in a Ziploc and let the filets sit for 2 hours.

After that, Instant Pot, bake, or pan-fry; your choice. Voila, rum and coke-style salmon. Works great on trout, too.

For me, nothing beats caveman style for trout. Part of it is certainly Nostalgia, but... *shrug*

1. Catch your limit of little 6-10 inch brook trout.
2. Gut and clean but do not remove head.
3. Make fire.
4. Roast stick-through-mouth style over fire. turn/move/fiddle with to prevent char'ing as you can.

Salt, pepper, BAM.

A little crispy on the fins and skin, meat falls off the bones (which, being a trout aren't really a problem anyways). I'm 5 yrs old again without a care in the world.

(not my photo)
DrAVTmrWsAA8fvK.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Gonna try making char siu bao from scratch this weekend.

Any tips for this white boy?

Also, did pierogies a few weeks ago. I haven't had homemade pierogies in ages. Shit's just on another level.

1552405467582.png

Did three different fillings:
- Potato and cheese
- Saur kraut, cheese, and bacon
- Kimchi

soooo goooooood

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gonna try making char siu bao from scratch this weekend.

Any tips for this white boy?

Also, did pierogies a few weeks ago. I haven't had homemade pierogies in ages. Shit's just on another level.

View attachment 198539

Did three different fillings:
- Potato and cheese
- Saur kraut, cheese, and bacon
- Kimchi

soooo goooooood
char siu bao is gonna be two parts, one part you can practice for a while, and that would be the char siu, cuz you can just serve it as bbq, this is what i'm good at, i'll give you the recipe i use for white ppl.

start with pork shoulder or butt, cut into think strips and marinate overnight with

shaoxing wine 1tbs
soy 1tbs
hoisin sauce 2tbs
molasses 2tbs
seseme oil 1ts

you can throw a few tps of salt/pepper/five spice in there too, you want some kick a bit of paprika

put onto a rack/sheetpan (keep the marinate to baste) (water on the bottom) and bake on 500 for 30, flip, baste for another 30.

it's gonna be really thick and sticky w/ the molasses if you've never worked with it b4.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
char siu bao is gonna be two parts, one part you can practice for a while, and that would be the char siu, cuz you can just serve it as bbq, this is what i'm good at, i'll give you the recipe i use for white ppl.

start with pork shoulder or butt, cut into think strips and marinate overnight with

shaoxing wine 1tbs
soy 1tbs
hoisin sauce 2tbs
molasses 2tbs
seseme oil 1ts

you can throw a few tps of salt/pepper/five spice in there too, you want some kick a bit of paprika

put onto a rack/sheetpan (keep the marinate to baste) (water on the bottom) and bake on 500 for 30, flip, baste for another 30.

it's gonna be really thick and sticky w/ the molasses if you've never worked with it b4.

I ended up using this bad boy Chinese BBQ Pork (Roast Pork Cha Siu) - The Woks of Life

Holy shit I could've just eaten that pork all day (I'm def going to make the pork again). The bao turned out really tasty too, but gotta work on my folding game. Not the prettiest but def tasty AF.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm making that pork this weekend. Though I'm kicking myself for agreeing to wait until this weekend to do it. I keep going back to that recipe page to look at the pictures of the pork, like a kid staring at the wrapped gifts on December 23rd.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Adebisi Adebisi did you make the sauce for the pork filling from this recipe?

When I made it tonight it did not seem right. The flour proportion seems way off and it turned the sauce into a gravy that tasted almost entirely like flour rather than what the picture looked like and what I expect from a Chinese sauce.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Adebisi Adebisi did you make the sauce for the pork filling from this recipe?

When I made it tonight it did not seem right. The flour proportion seems way off and it turned the sauce into a gravy that tasted almost entirely like flour rather than what the picture looked like and what I expect from a Chinese sauce.
flour in the sauce? wtf, guess i'll read, tho it LOOKS like an abridge ghetto version of a char siu recipe (they also have a full blown one).

Khane

I agree. I thought it was weird too especially since the sauce already seemed thick enough without even being reduced.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lanx Lanx I tried some chinese sausages like you mentioned awhile back. Way too god damn Chinese for me. I thought they were disgusting. I bought the brand you mentioned and another one. I taste a lot of Chinese Five Spice in them and they are weirdly sweet.

Not a fan.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx I tried some chinese sausages like you mentioned awhile back. Way too god damn Chinese for me. I thought they were disgusting. I bought the brand you mentioned and another one. I taste a lot of Chinese Five Spice in them and they are weirdly sweet.

Not a fan.
really? was it the texture? did you try to slice em like pepperoni and cook em fast? my main uses for em are for fried rice, just dice em up and for ramen. Usually i'd start out with a pan throw some sausage cut pepperoni, like, fish it out then use that fat to cook eggs.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not the texture I just can't stand sweet sausage. I basically did what you said. pepperoni sliced cooked them upp then scrambled eggs with jalapeno and green onion.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My friend eats those sausages all the time and you hit the nail on the head, just way to chinese for us americans. Was never a fan either.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've never had any Chinese sausage, but my father in law loves them. He'll get them at Costco or one of the Korean markets nearby. Not sure if the ones he gets are sweet.