Gravy's Cooking Thread

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
I've been watching Cutthroat Kitchen lately, and it's been fun for getting more creative cooking ideas (or at least working with limited ingredients and tools). Tonight I'm doing the prep for chopped chicken salads with a couple of different fruits and dressings to rotate over the next few days. I've never prepared main course salads before, and probably wouldn't have thought to if I hadn't watched a dumb gameshow hosted by Alton Brown.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So my dad retired this week, I decided I'd make everyone nice steaks. Some of my family like theirs well done but whatever not the time to complain. So I buy $45 worth of steak, marinade them for about 24 hours and bring them to my dad's.

I'm corralling my kid when in horror I see my dad take the steaks out and put them on the grill. But not the grill, he has baking sheets in there. He's cooking my steaks on baking pans in his grill. They start bending from the heat, so now the pans aren't touching the metal even. He cooks them for 30 minutes and they came out ok, but what?

Is this some retard cooking technique I've never heard of? Also who in the motherfuck takes another man's meat and cooks it without informing him.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He probably did it because you decided to marinate steaks like a heathen and all the marinade is gonna drip off and be lost if you put it directly on the grill rack

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is this some retard cooking technique I've never heard of? Also who in the motherfuck takes another man's meat and cooks it without informing him.
yea it's braising the steak, cuz of the marinade it's soaked up so much water, it's being braised, it's why when flipped over the bottom is all white.

dad privilege, not father in law mind you, only the man that raised you has this privilege

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Some marinade would still soak into the steak. Ever gone to a carniceria and bought their skirt steak? Always soaked in marinade and comes out f'ing delicious. Excellent in steak tacos.

Khane

Some marinade would still soak into the steak. Ever gone to a carniceria and bought their skirt steak? Always soaked in marinade and comes out f'ing delicious. Excellent in steak tacos.

Only if they score it first, and skirt steak is a very thin cut of meat. So what you do is cut wider pieces which have more surface area and you can taste the marinade that is sitting on the exterior of the meat.

The only thing that penetrates into meat is salt.

Khane

The exterior, marinade covered surface area per bite. Not the surface area of the entire cut...

Marinating overnight in a fridge is more to create adhesion to the surface of the meat so it stays during cooking, not to penetrate the meat (because it doesn't do that). Which is why reserving the extra marinade and turning it into a sauce is such a good idea.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I marinate skirt steak and it's amazing, but that's the only steak I use with marinade.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This was steak tips but not cut up/cubed. I think this is another form that greatly benefits from a marinade.

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
I marinate skirt steak and it's amazing, but that's the only steak I use with marinade.

I always marinate skirt steak. I split about 50/50 between dry rub and marinade with flank steak though. Depends on who I'm serving, typically.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Finally got an instant pot, holy shit this thing is amazing. First thing I did was half assed threw shit in a pot without recipe and it came out god-like, now I want to follow some recipes and have no idea what I want to make.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got an instant pot, holy shit this thing is amazing. First thing I did was half assed threw shit in a pot without recipe and it came out god-like, now I want to follow some recipes and have no idea what I want to make.

Look up some pulled pork recipes - Pulled pork in less then 2 hours including prep. I used this one recently that came out good: Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork | Creme De La Crumb

TJT also posted a spicy version that also came out good: Instant Pot Korean Inspired Pulled Pork | With Two Spoons

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users