Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I audited all my gadgets the a few weeks ago. Of all of them there's only two I almost never use but they only cost me $15 together so... whatever. Only one I got rid of.

Shit I Use:
  • Ninja
  • Kitchen Aid mixer
  • Instant Pot
  • Rice Cooker
  • Tomogayaki pan
  • Steamer
Shit I don't use very often:
  • Waffle Iron
  • Popcorn Air Popper
Shit I got rid of:
  • Crockpot (because of Instant Pot).
yup, waffle iron is stupid, if you want waffles get frozen, otherwise everyone in the house gets pancakes

got rid of popcorn air popper too, still eat pop corn, just put it in a big stock pot and just up from there. I used to use a skillet, but popcorn eventually goes everywhere.

Anyone mention panini maker? i use it for paninis and it's also my toaster for all bread. (don't have toaster)

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
There was a time when I used my George Forman grill every day, I'm honestly not quite sure what happened, or why I barely use it anymore. I've always just made popcorn in my biggest skillet with a lid, and don't understand why people think it's difficult. My family is lucky, and has a super old, four at a time, waffle iron, and when my mother passes away, I will fucking bare knuckle brawl for that mother fucker.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
yup, waffle iron is stupid, if you want waffles get frozen, otherwise everyone in the house gets pancakes

got rid of popcorn air popper too, still eat pop corn, just put it in a big stock pot and just up from there. I used to use a skillet, but popcorn eventually goes everywhere.

Anyone mention panini maker? i use it for paninis and it's also my toaster for all bread. (don't have toaster)

I use our waffle maker often. My waffles are so much better than frozen.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Okay, I need some help bros. Back when I was a teen my best friend's father made this Cajun dish that was absolutely incredible. I don't know what it was called and hoping for some direction, or it may have been something he just whipped up with what we had.

He cooked it in a pot or a pressure cooker (I was a teenager and didn't really pay attention) and it contained the following.

• Sausage
  • Chicken wings
  • Crab meat
  • Corn
  • Potatoes
  • Rice (Seperate container)
Is there a name for such an abomination? Does anyone have some similar recipes I could attempt in the Instant Pot?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Okay, I need some help bros. Back when I was a teen my best friend's father made this Cajun dish that was absolutely incredible. I don't know what it was called and hoping for some direction, or it may have been something he just whipped up with what we had.

He cooked it in a pot or a pressure cooker (I was a teenager and didn't really pay attention) and it contained the following.

• Sausage
  • Chicken wings
  • Crab meat
  • Corn
  • Potatoes
Is there a name for such an abomination? Does anyone have some similar recipes I could attempt in the Instant Pot?
most of those cajun/ south gumbo dishes have okra as a secret ingredient if you can't replicate it just right, try okra next time.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Okra is definitely part of it but the one most people don't know about is Filé powder.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The one thing I was kind of sad about when I was researching my instant pot was the fact that it doesn't get high enough pressure to safely can things. In the end, decided that wasn't a dealbreaker.

Was in a Wilco store the other day, and what did I see up on the top shelf?

But the damn thing was a) near $300, b) appears to not have any non-canning presets.

The no presets feels like a missed opportunity, how many more pennies is the control board that can do both over this one?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Okra is definitely part of it but the one most people don't know about is Filé powder.

Gotta roux your fucking ass off. Which former FoH'er was the one that said that? Had Commander Mormont as his avatar.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

• Sausage
  • Chicken wings
  • Crab meat
  • Corn
  • Potatoes

This sounds like a Cajun shrimp/crab/crawfish boil. A lot of Cajun dishes are very similar but don't use corn or potatoes (Jambalaya, Creole, Gumbo).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
But do you use it as an insta pot often? Or do you just use it as a crockpot?
I use it way more often as an instant pot(pressure cooker). I make a batch of chicken stock like every other week in it. Makes awesome stock in 45 minutes in the pressure cooker. I also cook rice in it a couple times a week.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

• Sausage
  • Chicken wings
  • Crab meat
  • Corn
  • Potatoes

Man, half my family is from Louisiana, but until Khane said it I didn't even consider you were talking about a normal crab/shrimp boil because I've never heard of anyone doing that in a pressure cooker. No cajun at least.

Were the potatoes whole or halved? Or were they cut into pieces? Was the corn still on the cob?

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
But do you use it as an insta pot often? Or do you just use it as a crockpot?

The only thing I miss about my crockpot vs. the instant pot I have now is capacity. I could slow cook an ungodly amount of stew or pulled pork, while the instant pot is a bit smaller. I don't miss it that much though. I'd only cook that much of something a couple times a year.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The only thing I miss about my crockpot vs. the instant pot I have now is capacity. I could slow cook an ungodly amount of stew or pulled pork, while the instant pot is a bit smaller. I don't miss it that much though. I'd only cook that much of something a couple times a year.
what quart instapot you got?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
new toy i'm getting today is Nuwave Induction Wok

I was looking to make a propane super burner wok, but of course this would have to be an outside affair, and i would probably get tired of going out to make real chicken n brocc.

This "seems" like it could be a good fit, i've used induction b/4 and it's fast, but i've also used real kitchen woks b4 and thats amazing, so i'll see.

My issue is maybe it's not "hot enough" it only goes up to 575 a jet propane will probably get around 650, idk, i'll try and see, it's fucking amazon so if it sucks, return!