Gravy's Cooking Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Takes much longer but the best wing cooking method I've used is smoking and then finishing on the grill (or broil). Leads to very tender and flavorful meat with a nice crispy outside.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Takes much longer but the best wing cooking method I've used is smoking and then finishing on the grill (or broil). Leads to very tender and flavorful meat with a nice crispy outside.
i'm not a fan of moving around to different areas to cook.

i'm "okish" with cast iron steak and then finishing in oven cuz it's still one pan, but i've never been a fan of sous vide and then sear with cast iron.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
with the instapot i can make stock faster, and get rid of all the chicken carcasses in my freezer, how do ppl store stock? usually i'd just pour it into a 1qt container.

gonna try this Handy Gourmet No Spill Slim Ice Cube Tray - Easy to fill - Stackable - No Spill Cover - Dual Color (Red)
e525625a39580a77191bb4591e1d36df.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Wow what a product. Every time I spill a little water directly into my sink while filling my ice tray I think "There has to be a better way".

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Wow what a product. Every time I spill a little water directly into my sink while filling my ice tray I think "There has to be a better way".

If its water, sure, but if its precious stock you spent 3-4 hours on, you bet your ass you want every drop of that golden liquid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If its water, sure, but if its precious stock you spent 3-4 hours on, you bet your ass you want every drop of that golden liquid.
the cubes "look" 1inch, so thats pretty perfect for a meal, they don't really say, i'm currently using 1inch cubes for regular drinks, so it'll be easy for me to judge.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Got an airfryer on Amazon sale. I overcooked the french fries so the times aren't very accurate, after reducing it got better but I think I can reduce it even more. I then made fried chicken and it came out pretty decent, could be a bit more crispy so maybe I should leave it in longer? Much easier to mess with and clean than my deep fryer.

I make jasmine rice in my instant pot a couple times a week. 1:1 and just hit the rice button. When timer goes off, release pressure. Perfect every time.

This is what I do, release immediately is very important as I found out one time. 1:1 and a pinch of salt. Now my question is do I fluff immediately too? Gonna have to experiment with that. I didn't want to buy yet another device just for rice so it's amazing for me.

i'm not a fan of moving around to different areas to cook.

i'm "okish" with cast iron steak and then finishing in oven cuz it's still one pan, but i've never been a fan of sous vide and then sear with cast iron.

I do oven/cast iron if I'm short on time, takes less than an hour. I do the opposite however and reverse sear instead. Sous vide is amazing if I have like 3 hours to let it cook. Sear and it's sooo tender. I'm still playing with salt however, the gordon ramsay method is to massage it into the meat.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This is what I do, release immediately is very important as I found out one time. 1:1 and a pinch of salt. Now my question is do I fluff immediately too? Gonna have to experiment with that. I didn't want to buy yet another device just for rice so it's amazing for me.
I usually immediately fluff/separate into portions, since most of my rice making is meal prepping for the week.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I then made fried chicken and it came out pretty decent, could be a bit more crispy so maybe I should leave it in longer? Much easier to mess with and clean than my deep fryer.

I used this recipe and it turned out great. Added way more spices with the flour mixture though. Pepper, cayenne, paprika, chili powder, garlic salt. I also turned the chicken over after 15 minutes instead of leaving it in for 25 min straight.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I used this recipe and it turned out great. Added way more spices with the flour mixture though. Pepper, cayenne, paprika, chili powder, garlic salt. I also turned the chicken over after 15 minutes instead of leaving it in for 25 min straight.

yea i always give the chicken 1 turn, even whole chickens.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
  • 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
That's basically what I did, but I didn't spray them with any oil. I will give that a try. Also, I recommend seasoning the egg wash for even more flavor. I like mine pretty spicy with the cayenne.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have never had any luck making decent french fries. I mean even bad fries are good, but if you can actually get good, crispy fries from an air fryer that approach restaurant quality, I might have to get one.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I get good fries from frying them. The trick is to triple fry the fresh russet potato ones, and double fry the frozen ones you get from freezer section. making sure the fryer gets back to full temp between the frying. I love my fucking fries. Its like my all time favorite food.

Also with fresh potato you want to soak them in warm brine for a few hours. Then dry them in a towel , of course, before frying them so you dont explode your house.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's nice, but I'm not triple frying anything. I'll just go to McDonalds if that's what it takes. What's the story on these air fryer fries?

• 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh man, Mcdonalds fries dont hold a candle to some nice thick cut fresh russets deep fried. But whatever, enjoy your little convection oven.