Gravy's Cooking Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
is 2 cups of rice ready really fast b/c of the induction heating (IH)? i'm thinking about that one

Induction heating is fast, yes, but there are more parameters at play than just that. There's some function of grain type and time at temperature required to get the rice to absorb the right amount of moisture and still come out at the target consistency. Medium grain white rice will be done in 20-25 min but brown can take an hour, the time difference being more than just the proportional difference in water added.

tldr; I'm not sure it's any faster than cooking on a traditional stovetop if you heat the water ahead of time. There is less thought and oversight involved, though.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
but it could always be better, i mean we're all fucking sous vide'in for the perfect steak.

I think the quality of the rice is more important than the cooker. Ultra premium short grain is the only rice worth having. I recommend you all to take that challenge.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think the quality of the rice is more important than the cooker. Ultra premium short grain is the only rice worth having. I recommend you all to take that challenge.
well theres already a cooking difference w/ the cheap $20 panasonic and the tiger and zojurushi with short grain, that much i can tell you.

try the tiger, it seems to be the budget "micom" thats good, i'm gonna get see which new zojirushi i'm gonna get. (it's not difficult to convince the wife since rice is life)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
well theres already a cooking difference w/ the cheap $20 panasonic and the tiger and zojurushi with short grain, that much i can tell you.

try the tiger, it seems to be the budget "micom" thats good, i'm gonna get see which new zojirushi i'm gonna get. (it's not difficult to convince the wife since rice is life)

Remember you are talking to the white boy here. While yes it is true I realized the quality of good rice after I hit premium shortgrain. I am skeptical of the quality of the cooker. If the cooker is $30 or less I'll consider getting it.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
First batch was a failure. I used too much salt. The meat was pink but without any blood inside. Medium term actually.
I have to learn the magic of sealing the juices inside that I keep hearing.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
First batch was a failure. I used too much salt. The meat was pink but without any blood inside. Medium term actually.

Salting before cooking creates osmotic pressure that dehydrates the meat.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
All the videos recommended overnight salting, but I really really went overboard. I ended up throwing away 3 pounds of meat because it was uneatable. 6 pounds to go. Next batch will have a lot less salt and maybe I’ll try the searing part of the grill.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
All the videos recommended overnight salting, but I really really went overboard. I ended up throwing away 3 pounds of meat because it was uneatable. 6 pounds to go. Next batch will have a lot less salt and maybe I’ll try the searing part of the grill.
I've been using the recipes at amazingribs.com for my barbecue needs since I got my big green egg. They have a lot of good practical advice for cooking meat on a grill/smoker.

He recommends salting meat before cooking, 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pound of raw meat, this can sit for hours or overnight and you will get a dry brine effect. I find this is a great rule of thumb and prevents oversalting. The next part of this to be aware of is that many seasoning mixes contain salt, so don't double salt your food. I have stopped using pre-made rubs/spice mixes that contain salt because of this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

The common myth around sealing in the juices is searing. Searing doesn't seal juices, just adds to the flavor profile. A trick for sealing juices is to let the meat rest after cooking for 5~ minutes before cutting/eating.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
TIL there's a Sonic branded curry that will turn your poop blue

• 1Dislike
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Who here has an Instant Pot? I've been using a slow cooker previously but the long ass cooking times is really inconvenient. Also, I hate cooking with the passion of a thousand suns so I was looking for something that is quick and simple.

So, I tried cooking a frozen chicken breast and I thought I followed the recipe but it came out pretty tough. It was edible but barely. What's frustrating me is that the cooking times I'm seeing on various Youtube videos vary wildly. Some say 10 minutes, other say up to 25 minutes. How much water are you supposed to put in this? Instructions say 2 cups minimum, whereas I'm seeing Youtubers do a single cup or none at all. What the hell. Steam release immediately or wait a while? Again, different opinions.

Also, for the love of god, why do people put up recipes that assume you're cooking for an army? I'm a single guy so I'd love to see recipes targeting meals for 1.

So, how long should I cook a single frozen chicken breast for? I tried, I believe, 12 minutes and it came out tough.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Why would you want to get out an instant pot to cook one chicken breast? Put some oil in a frying pan, get the pan hot, and just saute it. It will take less than 12 minutes and taste way better than it would from an instant pot.

Also, the "cooking times" that instant pot people list are kind of misleading. It's 12 minutes under pressure, but it's going to take 10 minutes to get the thing up to pressure and then a few more to drain it off. It's not nearly as fast as the listed cooking times would lead you to believe. I haven't been impressed with pressure cooked roasts either. There's some stuff it's good for, but if you want moist, tender meat you need to slow cook it IMO.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I cook chicken wings and chicken in my instapot all the time and it always comes out perfect. 10 mins on high pressure with instant pressure relief.

I found these new Campbell sauces and decided to experiment. 2lbs of chicken breast with the sauce in the instapot for 10 mins and it was amazing. It was a skillet variant sauce as well.

I'm gonna start using these for lunches during the week.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
280 dollar for a rice cooker? This is peak Asian.

• 1Like