Gravy's Cooking Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
FYI - Amazon dot Canada had some good discounts on the Amazon branded cast iron enameled dutch ovens.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I actually bought one of those too. No idea if they're any good, but for $30 for a 6 quart I figured it was worth a shot.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
enamel changes your care regime from "cast iron" to "normal pot/coated cookware". Aka, you can now let sit in water to soak, cook acidic foods, etc, but you should no longer use metal utensils that can chip or scratch the enamel.

And like any other coated cookware, unless you're godly careful, it will eventually look like shit as chips and scratches eventually fuck it up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm going to test out a few rice cookers, i already have 3

a basic one
panasonic-sr-wa-18-sr-wa-18-original-imaex9gyesjdcqgn.jpeg

it's "acceptable" in that rice won't stick to the bowl

an old zojirushi, i'd say it's 30yrs old
QIWmOuD.jpg

my sister gave me hers when i moved out 20yrs ago, this is my standard to rate rice.

i've heard this basic tiger will equal that
Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U-W 5.5-Cup Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer and Slow Cooker, White it's an affordable "micom"

ok micom is tiger and zojirushis way of saying computer microchip. If this tiger is even close to how good my old zojirushi is, then i'll go buy this

Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Premium White, 1.0-Liter for 170 it's their basic model that i find that is "made in japan", i've seen cheaper, but those are made in china, so who knows.

here's the reason why, cuz i just got the

Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer

it says it does rice... so i'm gonna put it all to the test

fyi, it's gonna be short grain rice, i might test jasmine too

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I’m all in into learning how to grill/cook.

I bought 10 pounds of picahna and salted it over night. now I have to buy a thermometer and try to grill on my gas grill.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’m all in into learning how to grill/cook.

I bought 10 pounds of picahna and salted it over night. now I have to buy a thermometer and try to grill on my gas grill.
Nobebird Meat Thermometer Bluetooth, BBQ Thermometer Smart Cooking Bluetooth Thermometer with 6 Probes for Smoker Grilling Oven Kitchen, Support iOS & Android, FDA approved (Carrying Case Included)
6 probes and it talks to your phone, note bluetooth, so range might be an issue, there are wifi models i think they cost 2x or 3x more

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Interested to see how the Instant Pot works out for rice, I have an old rice cooker but I never use it because it just didn't do a good job (probably user error).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Interested to see how the Instant Pot works out for rice, I have an old rice cooker but I never use it because it just didn't do a good job (probably user error).
what brand?

so far new tiger is good, as good as the old tried and tested zojirushi?... depends

zojirushi_old is squishier, more steam, tiger has a teeny tiny bit of bite

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
what brand?

so far new tiger is good, as good as the old tried and tested zojirushi?... depends

zojirushi_old is squishier, more steam, tiger has a teeny tiny bit of bite
Hamilton Beach, it sucks. I never experimented enough with it, rice would be super sticky and just over.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I make jasmine rice in my instant pot a couple times a week. 1:1 and just hit the rice button. When timer goes off, release pressure. Perfect every time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'll try with a cup of jasmine later then, currently making stock now

but so far i'm recommending the cheap 60$ tiger, i made the rice hours ago and it's still good in "keep warm", this makes me want to try to the more advanced zojirushi now.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
i'm going to test out a few rice cookers, i already have 3

a basic one
panasonic-sr-wa-18-sr-wa-18-original-imaex9gyesjdcqgn.jpeg

it's "acceptable" in that rice won't stick to the bowl

an old zojirushi, i'd say it's 30yrs old
QIWmOuD.jpg

my sister gave me hers when i moved out 20yrs ago, this is my standard to rate rice.

i've heard this basic tiger will equal that
Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U-W 5.5-Cup Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer and Slow Cooker, White it's an affordable "micom"

ok micom is tiger and zojirushis way of saying computer microchip. If this tiger is even close to how good my old zojirushi is, then i'll go buy this

Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Premium White, 1.0-Liter for 170 it's their basic model that i find that is "made in japan", i've seen cheaper, but those are made in china, so who knows.

here's the reason why, cuz i just got the

Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer

it says it does rice... so i'm gonna put it all to the test

fyi, it's gonna be short grain rice, i might test jasmine too

Why? I've had a Panasonic roz cooker for 12 years. Works perfectly fine.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

I have a similar model (NH-VBC18) that I got as a wedding gift 12 years ago. Short/long grain, white/brown, never had anything but perfect rice. We tend to use the "sushi" setting for medium grain white rice and it comes out at a consistency we like. Wife's family is Chinese rice snobs and it seems to meet all their demands.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a similar model (NH-VBC18) that I got as a wedding gift 12 years ago. Short/long grain, white/brown, never had anything but perfect rice. We tend to use the "sushi" setting for medium grain white rice and it comes out at a consistency we like. Wife's family is Chinese rice snobs and it seems to meet all their demands.
is 2 cups of rice ready really fast b/c of the induction heating (IH)? i'm thinking about that one

also of course yours is made in japan, lulz