Gravy's Cooking Thread

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
char siu bao is split into two sections, the filling and the dough, the filling is called char siu. (bao means bun/bread)

char siu is basically chinese bbq, i don't know your skill level, but the easiest way is to get this sauce

Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Chinese Barbecue Sauce - 8.5 oz. (if you have an asian grocer it's 3x cheaper), and make some regular non seasoned american pulled pork (and give it a quick sizzle on the grill or cast iron pan to char it up a tinge) and mix it up.

then you can follow simply dumplings bao/bread recipe and he shows how you fold the bao and make the "fish lips"

if you don't have a bamboo steamer, again, amazon Mister Kitchenware 10 Inch Handmade Bamboo Steamer, 2 Tier Baskets, Healthy Cooking for Vegetables, Dim Sum Dumplings, Buns, Chicken Fish & Meat Included Chopsticks, 10 Liners & Sauce Dish

steamed is not difficult, if you adept at the kitchen it'll probably take you 10 bao folds b4 you get it right.

once you make this and you think you want something more authentic, i'll hook you up with a real char siu recipe.
Thank you based chinaman

• 1Supertaster
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
damn, are air fryers the new sous vide in this thread?

I've been tempted, but two weeks ago a family in my neighborhood lost half their house to an air fryer malfunction turned house fire.

I've seen several stories like that, so my unfamiliarity has me spooked that it is the new turkey-fry danger of the food world.

• 1Like

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Someone gave me an air fryer for Christmas. It's ok. Makes some things great (wings, pepperoni rolls), other things not so much. My problem with it is it cooks completely unevenly from top to bottom. Anything on top gets cooked about 1.5x as fast as stuff on the bottom. Mine is a really small capacity and is just a little bucket inside. It seems like a wide flat tray would be better design so you don't have to stack shit on top of each other and constantly churn it during cooking.

Also, you can't fry anything with a wet batter in it. Just doesn't work. Can't cook the batter fast enough like a deep fry and it all just drips through the bottom.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've enjoyed my Philips air-fryer but I only really use it for roasted potatoes/fries, chicken nuggets, and to cook wieners when I'm lazy. I find cooking any sort of meat or really fatty thing in it makes my apartment stink for far too long, not to mention the smoke involved.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Made this yesterday. High recommendation, although I will probably up the salt to 1/3rd tsp next time.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've enjoyed my Philips air-fryer but I only really use it for roasted potatoes/fries, chicken nuggets, and to cook wieners when I'm lazy. I find cooking any sort of meat or really fatty thing in it makes my apartment stink for far too long, not to mention the smoke involved.

Add water to the bottom of the pan and you should be able to avoid the smoke.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I made fried chicken last night with mine, worked really well with the oil spray you guys recommended. I then made french fries and tossed with truffle oil and parmesan/parsley like Hopdaddy's and that was amazing as well. The time on the fryer (Ninja) was way too long for fries tho, maybe it's shoestring fries, but I've already learned that lesson and adjusted. And cleanup is a breeze. The smell is still there but definitely not as bad as a regular fryer.

I would also be worried about my normal fryer burning the house down, even with an air fryer I wouldn't leave it alone and if you use a lot of oil it could catch on fire of course.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

Late 90s documentary series. It's interesting to see him before he became the only chef your friends can name.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
since my air fryer shit the bed, i got a tiny cute one, thats while cute is worthlessly small, gonna return it,

it seems this just got released Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker - Turns your Pressure Cooker into an Air Fryer - Air fry, Crisp or Broil fits 6 & 8 Quart. Comes with Basket, Trivet, Silicone Mat, and Tongs plus Free Recipe App basically it's an air fryer lid for your instapot.

i see bonus pts with this
  • less countertop space taken up
  • you can now cook/stew w/ the insta pot and if you want to give the food a good broil/sear, just put on the air fryer, no transfer of food mess
  • your basket size is now AT LEAST 6qt
  • it goes higher than 400degrees, all the ones i've looked at (and had) stop at 390, this one can goto 450, which means faster sear
i also like the fact that it'll use the nice hefty instapot, pot rather than the teflon coated wire baskets these air fryers come with.

of course i'll be testing out the air frying w/ a whole chicken and frozen fries when i get it.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
since my air fryer shit the bed, i got a tiny cute one, thats while cute is worthlessly small, gonna return it,

it seems this just got released Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker - Turns your Pressure Cooker into an Air Fryer - Air fry, Crisp or Broil fits 6 & 8 Quart. Comes with Basket, Trivet, Silicone Mat, and Tongs plus Free Recipe App basically it's an air fryer lid for your instapot.

• you can now cook/stew w/ the insta pot and if you want to give the food a good broil/sear, just put on the air fryer, no transfer of food mess
  • it goes higher than 400degrees, all the ones i've looked at (and had) stop at 390, this one can goto 450, which means faster sear
i also like the fact that it'll use the nice hefty instapot, pot rather than the teflon coated wire baskets these air fryers come with.

of course i'll be testing out the air frying w/ a whole chicken and frozen fries when i get it.

Super interested in how this turns out.

I haven't purchased an air fryer because I don't have cabinet space for it. This would solve lots of problems.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

This works with Instapot?!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm interested also. It sounds great but this review concerns me...

air fryer.png

Cooking with a halogen light bulb sounds cheesy to me but most of the reviews are good. Will be interested to see what Lanx thinks of it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If it can replicate an air fryer in anyway I could get rid of my air fryer and crockpot.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This works with Instapot?!
yea, your instapot is basically the container for the air fryer

also i returned the tiny air fryer using khols, b/c i wanted to check it out and it was along my alternative route. (instead of just giving it to ups), i don't shop at khols but after you give the product back, khols gives you a 25% off coupon.

idk if thats everytime or whatever not, i doubt i'd use khols returns ever again.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I have an instant pot that I never use, but I just saw a video where someone uses it to make black garlic (takes 4+ weeks).

Time to break it out again!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I love garlic but have never had black garlic. What does it taste like?

It's like the roastiest of roasted garlic flavor.

The fermented allium delivers the molasses sweetness and soft fudgy texture of roasted garlic, with a gently pungent funk. As Lower48's chef Alex Figura puts it, black garlic "has acidity, a very funky smell, and almost a charred flavor to it. If you can imagine puréeing shitake mushrooms with soy sauce, it would be that same intense flavor."