Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's like the roastiest of roasted garlic flavor.

The fermented allium delivers the molasses sweetness and soft fudgy texture of roasted garlic, with a gently pungent funk. As Lower48's chef Alex Figura puts it, black garlic "has acidity, a very funky smell, and almost a charred flavor to it. If you can imagine puréeing shitake mushrooms with soy sauce, it would be that same intense flavor."
yo, this sounds like bullshit, is this why there was that garlic shooting yesterday?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
sure dude, hit me up if you got any more questions. Admittedly i don't make char siu bao b/c i hate folding and shit (dumplings, etc), i'd rather just get it at a chinese grocer, they even have decent frozen options.

Also, dumpling forms are like pasta. Making some malformed little blobfish of a pork dumpling may be just as much sacrilege to a native as using spaghetti instead of elbows in a pasta and cheese; but it'll still taste damn fine (taking into account possibly different cook times for different sizes and shapes).

So if you don't want to pinch fold 15 crimps x 30 dumplings for a fucking midweek dinner, don't. hamhand it with 3 total folds, break out a fork, or turn it into a bao, or even break out a ravioli roller-cutter; whatever man.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Also, dumpling forms are like pasta. Making some malformed little blobfish of a pork dumpling may be just as much sacrilege to a native as using spaghetti instead of elbows in a pasta and cheese; but it'll still taste damn fine (taking into account possibly different cook times for different sizes and shapes).

So if you don't want to pinch fold 15 crimps x 30 dumplings for a fucking midweek dinner, don't. hamhand it with 3 total folds, break out a fork, or turn it into a bao, or even break out a ravioli roller-cutter; whatever man.
i mean, it's just not worth it to me, you can get "acceptable" dumplings with this thing
6abb9e11f12dec3a324db5647b131445.png

it makes it fast, but it's obviously not as pretty and you run the risk of "exploding" dumplings b/c it creates air pockets

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Me and the wife make about 200 pierogi every Christmas. We got that shit down pat. cut homemade dough with round glass, cup it in your hand, put filling in, fold, crimp.

But tis definitely not something you wanna do for dinner lol. You make a shit ton of them, boil them, put butter on them, then vacu seal bunches and freeze. When ready just plop the package into boiling water for a few min.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Buddy of mine just linked me this, figure people here would like to drool over it as well. Guess at this point you have to basically win the lottery to get one as he can't pump them out fast enough. They also start around $5k and just go up from there.

• 1Mother of God

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
pics inc, i'll edit and retype

with the included basket and wire height thing, you only have 3in of workable depth and however large your instapot is 6qt or 8qt.
20190731_173230.jpg

ya'll know i do full chickens, so i needed depth, i decided to buy this wire thing, no idea what it's called, but it's cool, it fits just perfectly, 6in of depth
20190731_173445.jpg

brined chicken fits in fine (I put it in back first, cuz i wanna blast it high at the end breast side up)
20190731_173629_HDR.jpg

450 and you have the cool light
20190731_173754_HDR.jpg

this is the cool part with the light, you see the skin blistering, can't do that with any air fryer... also i swear i see "swirls" or eddies of air moving around the bird
20190731_174556_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20min at 450 (any temp higher than 400 it goes on for 10min max then drops to 400 to prevent super burn)
20190731_180327.jpg

just flipped it, and i'll see how it is breast side up.

i do notice more "smoke" in the air, not the kind i can see, like fire! fire! but the eye irritation kind.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Buddy of mine just linked me this, figure people here would like to drool over it as well. Guess at this point you have to basically win the lottery to get one as he can't pump them out fast enough. They also start around $5k and just go up from there.

I really want to try some blacksmithing and make some knives. Not expecting to put out stuff like these guys do, just find the whole process interesting and a possible good hobby to get into.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I really want to try some blacksmithing and make some knives. Not expecting to put out stuff like these guys do, just find the whole process interesting and a possible good hobby to get into.

Dude I worked with back in the late 90s used to make knives. All kinds from hunting down to kitchen type shit. anyway he sold them at trade shows and such, used to make a killing. He used to make them all year round then he had a few trade shows in the fall he would sell all his shit.

I wanted to get into the shit too. there is a ton of good resources out there on the net, including youtube. At my up north MI cabin, I have like 4 huge 3 foot dia saw blades from an old mill that shut down. Like 5/16-3/8 thick high carbon steel, would make some nice blades for sure. But just like everything, such is life and I never got around to it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Blacksmithing does seem like a fun hobby. I went to my first Oregon Country Fair in the mid 80's and saw what guys were doing with glass pipes. I still smoked weed back then so by the end of the week after the fair I had a complete setup. It was super fun and I had way way more cash than a 16 year old should have. I've thought about getting back into glass blowing but instead of pyrex use borosilicate glass for some Dale Chihuly like items.

Last edited: