Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a programmable kettle as well and everything is in liters here already anyway. Honestly, I was just planning on using a normal pot and some cling wrap with a towel wrapped around it. For the amount of sous vide I am likely to do that seems like it would work just fine for a while.
i do it in my insta pot (cuz it's always out on the counter) and got a silicone lid for it, it was just 10bucks. the pot isn't like more than 6qts right? cuz like the nano is like really short from where it hangs is 6in(just measured) so 6qt is fine, any larger and you have to fill up a whole lot of water

Denaut

Trump's Staff
i do it in my insta pot (cuz it's always out on the counter) and got a silicone lid for it, it was just 10bucks. the pot isn't like more than 6qts right? cuz like the nano is like really short from where it hangs is 6in(just measured) so 6qt is fine, any larger and you have to fill up a whole lot of water

I have pots all the way from 4 liters to 15 liters, so I don't think that will be a problem. Thank you for the advice.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
For chicken tacos I do it a bit different. Mine are shredded..

I take some chicken breasts frozen, and insta-pot them in a mix of chicken broth, taco sauce, or taco seasoning package, jsut to get the flavor started. (Before I had insta-pot, I used to just boil them in the stuff for a hour or two) Then when they are done, about 30 min for frozen ones, I take them out and shred them, or jsut cut them up into chunks, they will shred by themselves in next step..

In a saute pan I put in the cut up chicken, more taco seasoning, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Saute for couple minutes in some oil, then add in a cut up onion and cut up bell peppers, red, green, then saute for a few more min, then add in minced garlic. Proceed to saute for few more minutes, taste for seasoning.... Then at the end I ladle in like maybe a 1/2-1 cup of the broth used to cook the chicken in the insta-pot, stir it all up and serve. This freezes well too.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So, I tried to do some shredded chicken from an instapot using a whole chicken. It didn't taste terrible initially, but ended up congealing into like a chicken gel after. I haven't revisited it, but I wanted to, wondering how I went so wrong. Like, maybe the collagen jsut seeped into the chicken or something, idk, it was super gross. I've done the same thing in a crock pot with no issues. No real technique, just throw some spices on the chicken and put it in the pot.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So, I tried to do some shredded chicken from an instapot using a whole chicken. It didn't taste terrible initially, but ended up congealing into like a chicken gel after. I haven't revisited it, but I wanted to, wondering how I went so wrong. Like, maybe the collagen jsut seeped into the chicken or something, idk, it was super gross. I've done the same thing in a crock pot with no issues. No real technique, just throw some spices on the chicken and put it in the pot.
boiled chicken is what i hate the most, it just makes poultry tastes funky imo

roasted, grilled, bbq, fried no problemo

on another note amazon just delivered my newest toy a deli slicer, i had resisted it b4 and had no real need until i came back from japan and remembered i love

gyudon
Gyudon-Update-23.jpg

i need thin consistent meat and yes, the meat in freezer for 30mins and using knife works, but i'm gonna be making this a lot until i get it right so fuck it, i decided to get a standard cuisinart cuz it's a cuisinart and if i need a new blade it'll be easy to get.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got an instant pot for Christmas, hit me up with those dank recipes. Already done beef stew, butter chicken and pork loin.

Korean Inspired Carnitas

Also 45 minute Ribs (broil on high for 10 minutes after 35 mins in the pot). Use whatever BBQ sauce you want.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

That's bone broth. It's kind of gross when it's cold but if you warm it up that will melt into deliciousness. It's a feature, not a bug.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Started making my own Salmon Lox at home. That is the easiest shit in the world to make. Never again pay $12 for like 8 ounces lol.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Started making my own Salmon Lox at home. That is the easiest shit in the world to make. Never again pay $12 for like 8 ounces lol.
another use for a deli slicer?

also fuck this middle of nowhere state, yesterday i was ready to restock on food after a vacay and i head on to the tiny asian grocer in my hood... CLOSED for good. now i gotta travel to the next city over to get asian groceries. (not talking about soy sauce or ramen lulz, like asian perishables like taro, choi sum, etc)

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Korean Inspired Carnitas

Also 45 minute Ribs (broil on high for 10 minutes after 35 mins in the pot). Use whatever BBQ sauce you want.
Can you stack the ribs on top of each other, without causing any issues with their cooking?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not in the pot no. If you're talking about the 10 minute broiler finish then yes it will cause problems.

Last edited:
  • 1Like