Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
As someone who likes to smoke ribs, instant pot ribs are the best thing I've ever gotten out of my pressure cooker. Are they as good as BBQ ribs? Not even close, but considering you can make them in an hour with almost no skill, they're pretty fucking good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Of course true BBQ smoke ribs are much better. But 45 minutes from start to finish is 45 minutes lol.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That's bone broth. It's kind of gross when it's cold but if you warm it up that will melt into deliciousness. It's a feature, not a bug.
Yeah but I wonder why I don't get the same results in a crock pot, but instapot this happened. A function of the pressure?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure. I would think the crock pot would melt the collagen too if you cooked them long enough, but maybe not.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
boiled chicken is what i hate the most, it just makes poultry tastes funky imo

roasted, grilled, bbq, fried no problemo

I agree with you for the most part, but the chicken tacos I talked about are awesome. But its a 2 step process, one is to boil to get the meat tender enough to shred , and two to impart flavors by pan sauteing. Chicken breast meat is kinda like a neutral tasting and neutral texture meat that accepts may flavors and can be done many ways. You cannot get the breast meat to shred like that without boiling it.

Also we make chicken soup once a week or every 2 weeks in the fall/winter as well. I buy 2 whole chickens, cut them in 1/2 and ina big pot make chicken soup until its almost falling apart. Later I use the left over meat to make chicken salad which the whole family loves. Sometimes I even add in roasted beef short ribs to the soup for some beef flavor.

Both are methods which involve boiling the chicken and both turn out pure awesomeness..

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I realize a lot of people don't like dark meat chicken, for whatever reason. My assumption would be people undercooking it because they are focusing more on finishing the breast correctly.

But for shredded/pulled chicken thighs are way, way better. And they can stand up to overcooking in liquid to make sure all the fat renders out.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont mind dark meat per say I just never tried shredded chicken tacos with dark meat. Plus we have 2 camps in my house. 2 of us that like breast meat and the other two that like dark meat more. But both camps like my tacos.

When I make the pulled chicken tacos I just use the frozen chicken breasts since I buy them in a 4 Lb bag and its jsut easy. No de boning or anything like that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so gyudon tonight was "alright" time to up my game by either getting fattier cuts (i'm usually just a lean guy, chuck and etc) or some other way to get some flavor, the dashi packets i got from japan were amazing tho.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Try some thinly sliced ribeye. I know you jsut bought a slicer, but Kroger has thinly slice ribeye now in the meat section. I think the recope calls for more fatty cuts.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So ive been on a pizza kick in my house for a while now. Ever since I found an italian place by me that sells pizza dough bags that make perfect 14" pizzas for $1.75 /ea. So ive been reading around the forums abotu perfect pizza, and many places say to use 1/4-3/8 in thick steel slab you can get at a steel place for cheap. Anyone try this method?

Ive just been using the screen type pizza baking thing and it makes the crust Ok I guess at like 425F. Not sure to even bother with the steel.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
So ive been on a pizza kick in my house for a while now. Ever since I found an italian place by me that sells pizza dough bags that make perfect 14" pizzas for $1.75 /ea. So ive been reading around the forums abotu perfect pizza, and many places say to use 1/4-3/8 in thick steel slab you can get at a steel place for cheap. Anyone try this method?

Ive just been using the screen type pizza baking thing and it makes the crust Ok I guess at like 425F. Not sure to even bother with the steel.

The steel works great, much better than a stone or pan. It won't quite get you a Neapolitan but it will work as well as anything your home oven can manage. If you don't want to bother getting your hands on the right piece of steel you can just buy one, which may not be that much more expensive than buying it from a machine shop depending on whether you have a hook up or not.

Thickness is a trade off between how much lifting you want to do, how much time and energy (money) you want to spend heating it up, and how quickly you want to cook multiple pizzas. Thicker steels are heavier and take longer to heat up, but since they hold more heat you can more quickly cook multiple pizzas. Thinner steels are lighter and don't take as long, but you need to leave more time between pizzas. I am happy with my 6mm (little less than 1/4in) steel, even when cooking multiple pizzas, but I wouldn't go any thinner. You'll have to read up on whether other people find thicker steels to be worth it.

You want it as hot as possible. The steel should be in the top of the oven and give it an hour on max temperature (1/4 in) to heat up. Then, 10 or so minutes before you start using it, broil it on max. This will get it absolutely ripping hot. Cook time will vary depending on a lot of factors but it should be about 4-8 minutes. Pre-cook any ingredients that need it.

I honestly recommend buying a peel, they are cheap and that oven is dangerously hot, so it is worth the investment. It can be tricky though, since if you leave the dough on it too long it will stick, although sprinkling coarse semolina on it ahead of time can help. You may feel silly but practice a bit with some spare dough at first to get a feel for how it works, and if you fuck it up no biggy that is just a calzone now ;)

Serious Eats has an old, but good, article on the subject worth reading.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Peels are easy with a little practice, don't be afraid to put a generous amount of flour down under the pie, blow under the pie and slide it back and forth on the peel as you put the peel in the oven, then pull the peel out with back and forth motion where you push in slowly and pull back fast. When you get good you can just rip it out like a magician pulling a sheet out from under wine glasses. Essentially if you keep the pie moving after you blow under it you should never have any sticking issues

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My main pointer with peels is only build the pizza when you're ready to put it in the oven. Build it and slide it in right away.

• 1Truth!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i was boiling eggs and googled how to peel eggs quickly, put in ice bath and shake it up in a container after 15min...

why did i get scrambled eggs
:(

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
So you leave them in an ice bath for 15 minutes then shake them in the ice water or just shake the eggs alone in a container? One egg at a time or all the eggs at once?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So you leave them in an ice bath for 15 minutes then shake them in the ice water or just shake the eggs alone in a container? One egg at a time or all the eggs at once?
shake the eggs alone in a container, i did 2 at a time (first time i did 6)... i mean it really didn't seem to help at all.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I make a shit ton of egg salad when I'm doing low carb eating and I really fucking hate peeling 15 eggs at a time.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
There are 100 tips for making boiled eggs easier to peel. In my experience they are all bullshit except for using old eggs. The fresher the eggs are, the harder they are to peel.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users