Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
There are 100 tips for making boiled eggs easier to peel. In my experience they are all bullshit except for using old eggs. The fresher the eggs are, the harder they are to peel.

While this is true, I have found that putting white vinegar in the water when you cook them actually makes them peel easier. We have chickens, so super fresh eggs, no trouble peeling them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
While this is true, I have found that putting white vinegar in the water when you cook them actually makes them peel easier. We have chickens, so super fresh eggs, no trouble peeling them.
i read that white vinegar thing too, and heard it was to really prep the shell for better easter egg painting

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I found most of those color tablets they sell with the easter egg kits have some sort of acid int hem since it smells all sour when you plonk it down into the water. But never heard the thing about peeling and vinegar, hmm might have to try it next time. Nothing more frustrating and anger inducing when you go to peel a hard boiled egg and like 1/2 the white comes off with the shell while fucking around with it for 10 min.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There are 100 tips for making boiled eggs easier to peel. In my experience they are all bullshit except for using old eggs. The fresher the eggs are, the harder they are to peel.

Yeah, pretty much my experience as well. Ah well...

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm told that poking a hole in the wide end, the end with the air pocket before the ice water also helps. The idea that as everything shrinks that little bit going from hot to cold, it sucks up some cold water and that ends up lubing between shell and egg.

never tried it, don't often make hardboiled eggs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
reading about it seems really making the egg nice and firm makes a difference so instead of boiling try steaming since with steam it'll be constant (and no temp drop as opposed to putting eggs in boiling water), with that whats better than steam, but steam under pressure? instapot we go.

i went overboard with this egg basket lol
c6f530ebad7af3f7e5d41ec8e83e1c0a.png

from what i see 24 is the max size you can get (regular ones are 14 eggs/18) do i need that many??? no... but i live in ks now so who knows when i'll be called upon to make devil'd eggs.

and i wanted one with the handles b/c the handles do make it easy to get shit outta the pot.

i know, you're all thinking like me, can'tt we just put em in a steam basket? well then the egg shells will be touching other egg shells and you'll be losing surface area since you're steaming and not boiling, it'll make a difference, so might a well just do it right.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I steam eggs every morning and then soak them in cold water for 15ish minutes. They peel almost instantly just with tiny squeeze.

Kiki

Log Wizard
vinegar, baking soda, etc never worked for me, tried so many things. Instapot steam to an icebath is the best shit ever. I want that fucking egg basket now.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I recently found out about the instant pot + ice bath method and the first two times I did it they peeled great but the last batch I did the egg is half gone by the time you get it peeled. I'm going to keep doing them that way but it totally failed last time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
oh fuck yes! instapot steaming, you didn't even fucking have to peel the egg, it's like the fucking shell separated from the egg itself.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Guys. Pay attention to the end of this commercial

• 1Worf

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I dont get it. Is it that cottage cheese is gross? Cottage cheese is gross.

• 1Solidarity

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I dont get it. Is it that cottage cheese is gross? Cottage cheese is gross.

I started eating cottage cheese when I moved to Europe because it is light, creamy, and delicious. So one year when I was back in the US visiting I bought some. It was sour, slimy, and disgusting. I have no clue why it is so different and I was wondering if anyone here knows how it is made differently.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I said to pay attention to the end of the commercial. So pay attention to the end of the commercial. Someone will eventually get it.