Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I didn't like it when I was a kid. It had a grainy texture to me that I hated. As I've gotten older either I've gotten better ricotta or I've adjusted to it, I like it fine now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I make my lasagna polock style. Lots of Smoked kielbasa, and Canadian bacon in the layers. For the stupid ricotta layer I make a "hot" spinach artichoke dip layer with lots of garlic. Its a thin layer though since the flavor is powerful and can be overwheming if you make it thick. Well it becomes hot when I bake it, lol.

Its they way my mom used to make it, and I love the shit. Dont knock it until you try it. the dip was my addition though. I tried it one time and everyone loved it.

I dont make it often though, usually when I make a batch of my spaghetti sauce to freeze off, I make like 3 gallons of the shit in my big brewing kettle, then I save some for the next day to make lasagna.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There's all kinds of different "lasagnas". Moussaka, Shepherd's pie, Mexican lasagna, etc. All delicious.

I'm surprised so many of you don't remember the cottage cheese lasagna conversations. Not sure if it was this thread or the fast food thread, but it was golden. Actually surprised we don't have a cottage cheese emote.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I remember that someone specific did that and that it was the worst. In my edited memory we threw them off a cliff Spartan-style.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Bah who gives a shit, put whatever you want in your shit. Fucking food purists, lul.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
giphy.gif

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
reading about it seems really making the egg nice and firm makes a difference so instead of boiling try steaming since with steam it'll be constant (and no temp drop as opposed to putting eggs in boiling water), with that whats better than steam, but steam under pressure? instapot we go.

i went overboard with this egg basket lol
c6f530ebad7af3f7e5d41ec8e83e1c0a.png

from what i see 24 is the max size you can get (regular ones are 14 eggs/18) do i need that many??? no... but i live in ks now so who knows when i'll be called upon to make devil'd eggs.

and i wanted one with the handles b/c the handles do make it easy to get shit outta the pot.

i know, you're all thinking like me, can'tt we just put em in a steam basket? well then the egg shells will be touching other egg shells and you'll be losing surface area since you're steaming and not boiling, it'll make a difference, so might a well just do it right.
Ah, an Asian incubation chamber!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
mkopec mkopec Are Twarog, sour cream, and cottage cheese pancake a big staples for you?
Nope dont know any of that shit. Buit I do remember my mom making some sweet pierogi from something sort of like farmers cheese in Poland. Do use a shit ton of sour cream for sauces like stroganoff, mashed potatoes and such, even goes good in Borscht which I made a batch this past xmas. I do make some potato pancakes, the wife loves them but they are a pain in the ass to make.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
do it again please, the recipes i see, you're just hoping that your chicken stock + butter will meld with the frozen dough that is also made out of butter to create gooey goodness

Adapted from Ina Garten's recipe although mine is better. All amount are pulled diirectly out of my ass. you know how to make a roux. This is going tobe a super messy receipe because I'mtired and distracted.

um
1 lb chicken breast
47 cloves garlic (approx)
2-3 yukon gold potatoes
A bunch of tarragon (whatever is in the package they sell)
some dried tarragon too is you can swing it
1 stalk celery
1 stick of that good butter
1/2 cup flour
boullion cube
heavy cream
puff pastry (make your own if you're feeling masochistic that day)
optional onion for those who don't have the palate of a 5 year old like me
chicken stock
carrots
peas

I brown the chicken in a skillet instead of roasting chicken breasts like she does. Seasonit with salt, pepper, and a small amount of the tarragon. While that's cooking, heat the chicken stock (about 3 cups) with a boullion cube and the sliced carrots on low/medium. Remove the chicken and start melting the butter, cook the (crushed/pressed) garlic inthe butter with some sliced celery and a bit of dried tarragon. once it's going combine the flour, make a roux, cook the flour down a bit. Start adding inthe chicken stock a bit, then the rest, then add the diced potatoes, chicken, tarragon, salt, pepper,peas, and stir a bit and turn the heat on low. Add some cream, not a lot, like 1/3-1/2 a cup. Hit your ramekins with some pam and line the bottoms with puff pastry (optionalI guess, I like it though). Fill your vessels, then place puff pastry over them and seal, cut slits for air holes. Hit the puff pastry with some egg wash and kosher salt. Cook at 375 for about 55 minutes.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I assumed that was a typo. Guess not. You're like Jake from the Blues Brothers.

"Four fried chickens and a coke."

"You want chicken wings or chicken legs?"

"Four fried chickens. And a coke."

Just takes repeating for confirmation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users