Gravy's Cooking Thread

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I eat a lot of lamb and sheep, especially in the fall, since it is raised locally. I wouldn't call it gamey, it just tastes like sheep, with mutton tasting more like sheep and needing longer cooking preparations due to toughness. It is a bit like the difference between a broiler and a laying hen, the broiler still tastes like chicken just much less whereas an old layer has less meat but much stronger chicken flavor.

I don't think lamb or mutton taste anything like elk, reindeer, or venison which we also eat a decent amount of and are actual game. They taste taste pretty similar to each other but nothing like lamb.

I get the impression that most Americans don't know what gaminess means and tend to think any red meat that doesn't taste like corn fed beef (very mild) is automatically "gamey".

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Or that they don't know how to cook it properly so everything tastes "gamey" (a.k.a. tough and/or chewy).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Red bell peppers as well.

I mean, "high carb" it is pretty relative. 1 bell pepper has about 5 grams of sugar, so while it wouldn't fit in a zero carb diet as long as you don't gorge on them without without fat or protein it probably won't kick you out of keto which depending on genetics let's you have up to 50 grams per day.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I mean, "high carb" it is pretty relative. 1 bell pepper has about 5 grams of sugar, so while it wouldn't fit in a zero carb diet as long as you don't gorge on them without without fat or protein it probably won't kick you out of keto which depending on genetics let's you have up to 50 grams per day.

There are other sources of carbohydrate in that recipe. So the bell peppers get left out so I can eat more carbs during other meals. The sugar content is really the issue.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
There are other sources of carbohydrate in that recipe. So the bell peppers get left out so I can eat more carbs during other meals. The sugar content is really the issue.

Fair enough, I didn't go through the recipe. I usually eat bell peppers even when I am doing low carb and haven't found them to be much of a problem in general, but you are right in that it matter more in the context of the rest of the day.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

I don't believe so.

I mean I have 5 pounds of 90% lean ground beef and a bag of tender quick and wanted to know if anyone had a recipe for jerky that they liked. I have a good recipe for strips, but have not done ground meat jerky in the dehydrator before so I was hoping someone here had a good method.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't believe so.

I mean I have 5 pounds of 90% lean ground beef and a bag of tender quick and wanted to know if anyone had a recipe for jerky that they liked. I have a good recipe for strips, but have not done ground meat jerky in the dehydrator before so I was hoping someone here had a good method.
do you have a jerky gun?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
do you have a jerky gun?
Image result for eyebrow raise gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have a rib rub they like? Hosting some friends on Monday and was going to smoke a bunch of baby back ribs and looking for something new. Plan on doing 12 all together split between the pellet grill and ceramic with a fruit blend on the pellets and pecan in the ceramic.