Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean short ribs make for great stews and soups as well but just making stock with them and throwing away the meat? Are you a millionaire or something?

I know this is a bit late but LOL @ throwing them away. Like we dont eat every ounce of that lovely butter like meat. It either gets added back to the soup or gets gobbled up either way.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had basically stopped cooking a lot of stuff for the past couple of years. Kids were a pain in the ass, plus I was on keto, it was a whole thing. So about a month ago I went back to it, cooking every meal from scratch, meal planning, reusing, etc. The kids are HATING it, but I'm pretty happy. Going to make some homemade sourdough starter and bread with my oldest, she is pumped about that. I love keto but being out from under all that restriction feels really fucking nice.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not cooking while doing Keto? Did you eat nothing but jerky and raw cheese? I cook almost every day on Keto.

Frittata for breakfast this morning (well, lunch really) and ribs in the sous vide since 6pm last night for dinner!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I cooked but it was super easy stuff, like burgers or steaks or roasted cauliflower or whatever. And because it was just me I only had to cook maybe once a week.

I really like baking and unfortunately didn't get to do much of that, I find that fake sweet/carb stuff to be awful.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well yea... fake Keto desserts are about as appetizing as fake Vegan meat.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
How are you doing a sourdough starter? I want to get back to one to start making bread, but can't find yeast (due to the lockdown). Was hoping there was an easy way to make a starter...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
How are you doing a sourdough starter? I want to get back to one to start making bread, but can't find yeast (due to the lockdown). Was hoping there was an easy way to make a starter...
I've never done it before. I've read that the natural yeast on all flour is enough to get it going, just add some water, cover and leave it out on the counter for a few days and you should see results.

• 1Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I've never done it before. I've read that the natural yeast on all flour is enough to get it going, just add some water, cover and leave it out on the counter for a few days and you should see results.

It is really easy, just takes some time.

I used the perfect loaf method for a couple of weeks then went to once a week feedings from the fridge. The King Arthur method looks fine as well.

I made a few different ones, the one I am most happy with I use 100% stone ground untreated rye flour. I recommend a a similar flour. Despite what a lot of places say the starter culture doesn't come from the air, it comes from the yeast living in the flour. So the better the flour you use for the starter the better the culture.

That kind of flour is expensive so I rarely use it to bake and only feed the starter with it, but it is really strong and powers through anything. I picked a local brand and stick with that. It is fun because, along with tap water, it feels very much like bread from my backyard with its own unique flavor.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Quarantine brisket!

Last night 2 hours into the smoke:
IMG_20200321_225618.jpg

This morning 11 hours in, getting wrapped and thrown in the oven:
IMG_20200322_080321.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Quarantine brisket turned out great. I really suggest the long, low heat method for anyone who is afraid of screwing up a brisket. It is dead easy and makes great brisket every time with a pretty amazing bark which was always the thing I was bad at developing.

IMG_20200322_172604.jpg
IMG_20200322_173417.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Pops

I finally learned to just put that on very low heat with your favorite seasonings and cook it 12+ hours. Always fork tender.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Used my instant pot to make shredded chicken for various Mexican dishes. Always really liked my slow cooker recipe and this wasn't quite as good. Was hoping it would be more tender to shred. Maybe I'll cook it two minutes longer next time. Still ended up with great flavor though.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Recently discovered this:
1585587743758.png

god tier. Can make some killer sauces with it.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Needs the Lanx Lanx (tm) seal of approval plus a covid-free claim

edit: While I'm here and paging Lanx, hook us up with a good lo mein recipe, I'm jonsing for some chinese take out

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
oh, theres no way i'm endorsing it as covid free since it originates south of szechuan lulz, but ppl do use it on jyucheungfan rice rolls
steamed-spring-rolls-juanfen.jpg

and rice toppings. it's more like chili oil sauce cuz of the fermented soy beans.

it'll def be tasty if you just wanna spice up your white rice (i learned from south park, white ppl just drop soy sauce in white rice, wtf...)

for lo mein, it's really about the noodle, if you find that you cannot get good lo mein at home, it's cuz you're using the dried (spagetti like) lo mein. If you can... try to find ready to fry lo mein (egg noodle) in the fridge section. that'll probably be your most difficult find.

then chicken lo mein is just chicken coated in cornstarch, stir fried and then dump in some garlic/carrots/cabbage/bok choy/sugar snap peas/noodles and deglaze the wok with shaoxing wine, add some soy and thats it' (the shaoxing wine will combine w/ the cornstarch and soy to create a sticky sauce) (add oyster sauce if you want more pow). finish it off with a thin coating of seseme oil

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like I'm gonna have to hit up my friend in philly for the wine and noodles, thanks bro.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Looks like I'm gonna have to hit up my friend in philly for the wine and noodles, thanks bro.
if you bake or make your own noodles, it wouldn't be difficult to use a kitchenaid to make noodles too

but the shaoxing wine is def a must have

this is the brand i use, it's actually rectanguar ish
de6d10e1-d31b-4c87-a390-f22106471583_1.92d43f1e5b5c698a21d2b6f82bca32e6.jpeg

any asian grocer would have this right next to soy sauce