Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

3 to 4 days later... the Biltonganator... will provide... you.. . with Biltong! hehe

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You guys have to make Creton. It's a French-Canadian thing. It's essentially pork pate' that you spread on toast for breakfast. Here's a recipe that google can translate for you, but add more lard so it is a true paste. I've been eating it every morning and it is amazing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

3 to 4 days later... the Biltonganator... will provide... you.. . with Biltong! hehe
For anyone familiar, what would be a good sub for brown vinegar? I have apple cider, rice, white, balsamic, and red wine vinegars but no brown or malted vinegar.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Chicken Pot Pie tonight. Absolutely amazing!

Screenshot_20200506-223729_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200506-223634_Gallery.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That' one nice fuckin pot pie. I normally use puff pastry but have long wanted to replace that with a more traditional pie crust.

Biltong is begun. Let's see how long this takes. picture taken with the closest potato I had on hand.

20200507_104736.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What recipe did you use?

What cut of meat did you use?
I basically used the recipe at the top of the page here. Which, it should be said, that dude is awesome.

I used a couple of "london broil" cuts, look like top round, small fat strip on them. The store used to put those on sale quite often so I had a couple for jerky making. I tried to cut the meat into pieces approximating what he was doing in the video, it's a little rough but who cares, it all gets sliced up anyway. Used the video above's recommended spice mixture of 1 part salt, 1 part pepper, and 1 part ground coriander, about 10 grams of each. However, I ended up adding more salt after I got it mixed, just didn't look like enough salt to me.

Also, not air drying it, doing it in the dehydrator, so we'll check it tonight and see how it is doing. Normally when I do jerky 6 hours at 165 does a good job. These pieces are a bit thicker so we'll see, may end up going 8-10.

• 1Solidarity

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The photo makes them look super thin. you may end up with something closer to chili bites than biltong. In the vid, it appears he's cutting them close to an inch thick, so you end up with a dried black bark, but also a still slightly less dry normal colored center when you cut them into strips.

still, will probably turn out plenty tasty.

edit: rewatched the vid "you make slices about a centimeter" while holding something up that is like 2x his thumb thickness (which is about 1c or .5 inch). Definitely a difference between say and do.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The photo makes them look super thin. you may end up with something closer to chili bites than biltong. In the vid, it appears he's cutting them close to an inch thick, so you end up with a dried black bark, but also a still slightly less dry normal colored center when you cut them into strips.

still, will probably turn out plenty tasty.

edit: rewatched the vid "you make slices about a centimeter" while holding something up that is like 2x his thumb thickness (which is about 1c or .5 inch). Definitely a difference between say and do.
I noticed that in the video. I figured I would try it this way and if it doesn't turn out well try a bit thicker.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
East coast shrimps tonight. So normally in the Chicagoland area this is called a certain thing and normally its kinda not good. Tonight is different!

20200509_182641.jpg

20200509_170010.jpg

20200509_164758.jpg

There are some crazy big shrimp going on here. Whole shit ton of old bay to boil them then waiting...

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Turned out some fuckin ok biltong. A little more peppery than I like, and I could actually stand a bit more vinegar, was considering the idea of doing vinegar overnight in the fridge occurred to me.

Tried eating it in strips without slicing it like biltong usually is, a little too intense, definitely need that slicing. My pieces have pretty uneven thickness, the thicker pieces are definitely better. Tbh the cuts I had were around an inch thick, I bet I could have kept that thickness and maybe compensated with additional dehydrator time.

20200507_183312.jpg

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Turned out some fuckin ok biltong. A little more peppery than I like, and I could actually stand a bit more vinegar, was considering the idea of doing vinegar overnight in the fridge occurred to me.

Tried eating it in strips without slicing it like biltong usually is, a little too intense, definitely need that slicing. My pieces have pretty uneven thickness, the thicker pieces are definitely better. Tbh the cuts I had were around an inch thick, I bet I could have kept that thickness and maybe compensated with additional dehydrator time.

View attachment 269026
How long did you go and what temp? Also, did you use brown vinegar?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have an embarrassing confession. I don't have a cast iron skillet. I just got a sous vide so now is the time to finally dive in. Any recommendations? Do brands really matter since cast iron is about as simple as it gets in terms of construction and material?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just get a lodge. Some people say to try and find an antique, something about the milling process produced a smoother surface or something, idk. 25 bucks gets you a lodge. I have a big 12 inch skillet and a 10 inch dutch oven. Definitely my favorite pans.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users