Gravy's Cooking Thread

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Been experimenting a lot with the sous vide over the past couple weeks and thought I'd share something that came out as a big hit for the family i.e no leftovers. Cooked a whole bunch of chicken thighs with garlic and thyme at 150 for 5 hours, took them out and shocked them in an ice bath. From there took them out of the vac seal and patted them really dry before seasoning half of them with salt, pepper and smoked paprika and the other half with the same + a good amount of cayenne followed by a dredging in egg wash and flour. Pan fried them in some clarified butter for a minute or two each side to get them crispy and got some really good fried like chicken with maybe 3-4 tablespoons of fat total. Sous vide'd enough to put one vacuum seal bag in the fridge to do it again a couple nights later. First night did it with mashed potatoes and green beans and second time de boned them before pan frying and served them up like a fast food chicken sandwich on some sesame seed buns with mixed greens and a simple sauce (some home made mayo that was near the turning point mixed with garlic, lemon juice and franks hot sauce).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I'm doing a London broil tomorrow. Who has the best recipe? Or just throw out random thoughts.

I'm a big fan of medium rare with some salt and lots of pepper sliced thin, mashed potatoes with an au jus made from the drippings lightly drissled over both and a veggie of choice on the side. Could also toss it on an onion roll for roast beef sandwiches.

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The entire Costco package of Chicken Breasts I had in my freezer are a "woody breast" batch.

giphy.gif

• 1RAGE
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Korean Gochujang Peanut Butter Sauce. This creates a nice spicy hearty sauce that is good for noodles and some stir fry. Do recommend. Almost like an easier dan dan noodles sauce or something.
  • IDK 1/2 tablespoon but more than teaspoon of gochujang, preferably the spiciest one.
  • teaspoon of sesame oil.
  • tablespoon of peanut butter
  • teaspoon of soy sauce.
  • 2 or 3 tablespoons of water.
Whisk and add it to whatever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Anyone ever ordered anything from a high end restaurant supplier for home delivery like Pat LaFrieda? A friend of mine recommended it to me yesterday claiming they are having inventory issues and they are slashing prices because of the closure mandates and no restaurants being open to supply. This makes sense to me but I have no idea what they normally deliver/what the normal prices are and can't really tell if the prices are good.

They have dry aged beef that seems reasonably priced but I'm just trying to figure out if it's actually worth it. Here is the site in case anyone else is interested as well:

Like this comes out to roughly ~29 USD per pound which seems pretty good for a 30 day dry aged USDA Prime standing rib roast. But it doesn't seem like a total home run either.

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm picking up a $100 variety pack from DeBragga on this list. Something like 2lb ground beef, 2 8oz strips, 1 1lb ribeye, 1 lb filet, 2 pork chops, two whole chickens (broken down). Agree with you - seems like good variety and convenience but not exactly a steal price wise.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I haven't done it personally, but I've heard positive feedback from friends that are doing it here in the Bay Area. But I live by myself and they all only sell in rather large portions.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Quarantine chicken bone broth + meat yield from the carcass that I didn't eat while tearing it down. 3 quarts of broth (and a 12 oz cup I drank), 1lb white meat, and 6 oz dark meat. Total cost, about $6.

IMG_20200421_172028.jpg

• 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Nailed pastéis de nata: Portuguese custard tarts

1587768856278.png

"nailed" might be a stretch. They turned out perfect. The journey to get there was full of fuckups

• 4Like
  • 3Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
20200426_183847.jpg

First brisket of the year. Turned out pretty good, but the bark didnt form like I wanted and I trimmed a little too much fat off the cap I think. Super tender, took about 8 hours on my Yoder @250

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This is my year. I'm finally going to make a good smoked brisket. I tried it last year, it didn't turn out like I wanted, not tender enough, and it took like 18 hours in the smoker to come up to temp. This year, going to try just like 3-4 hours in the smoker and then finish in the oven. Also used mesquite, it was way was too strong, going to use a different wood I think.

• 1Like

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is my year. I'm finally going to make a good smoked brisket. I tried it last year, it didn't turn out like I wanted, not tender enough, and it took like 18 hours in the smoker to come up to temp. This year, going to try just like 3-4 hours in the smoker and then finish in the oven. Also used mesquite, it was way was too strong, going to use a different wood I think.

What smoker are you using out of curiosity? I was using hickory pellets with this one but I was tempted to use mesquite and was afraid it may be too strong for the meat like that. Honestly the hickory might have been a touch too much as well. Might try something lighter like a pecan or apple.

This was a brisket flat only instead of the whole packer and was smallish in size at around 7lbs. It's been awhile since I've done brisket so I didnt want to spend the $$$ on a whole packer and end up fucking it up. This one went four hours at 250 then I checked temp and it was in the 160-165 range, so I pulled it off, wrapped it tight in aluminum foil and put it on for another four hours. At the end of that four I probed it at 210 and the probe went in real easy so I pulled it and let it rest in the oven w/ the oven off for another two hours.

In hindsight after I wrapped it I really could have just put it in my oven instead of burning another four hours of pellets. That's a good idea, I may try that next time.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Anyone want to recommend a good store bought BBQ sauce for chicken breasts? Or at least what type of sauce should I look for? Sweet or savory?

Khane

I'm so bored I decided to scour and re-season my cast iron skillets. Currently on the 4th trip back through the oven.

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone want to recommend a good store bought BBQ sauce for chicken breasts? Or at least what type of sauce should I look for? Sweet or savory?

This has been my go to store bought since stumbling on it while visiting Lake Tahoe last summer for both chicken and pork. I usually put it on about 5-10 minutes before it is done. If you are looking for a nice store bought marinade the Kroger brand Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette is awesome on chicken breast.