Gravy's Cooking Thread

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I just wanted to add that this is getting really into the weeds of diminishing returns. Just making fresh pasta with normal flour and eggs is like 90% of making really good pasta. Exactly which type and grind you use, exactly how much regular vs semolina, and so on can change things but it is only to the tune of 10%-20% and for many people that aren't food autistic (like us :D ) won't really care.

It is part of what I really like about cooking, you can invest as much or as little as you want into it but you get really good returns for your effort at every level.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
shit feels like sand
1f1.jpg

fuck, the semolina DOES get everywhere

I almost killed my pregnant wife and child while I was making pizza. I spilled some flour on the floor in the process of putting it in the oven and when she walked in she slid across the kitchen and nearly wiped out cartoon style, fortunately she managed to catch herself on the counter. I was more careful after that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I almost killed my pregnant wife and child while I was making pizza. I spilled some flour on the floor in the process of putting it in the oven and when she walked in she slid across the kitchen and nearly wiped out cartoon style, fortunately she managed to catch herself on the counter. I was more careful after that.
oh hell yea dude, i'm re-shelving my pantry to make more shelves cuz need more storage (this was when covid was starting) and my bag of semolina dropped on the floor, i fucking almost did a split the next time i walked in holding a drill and screws.

now we know how can "take care" of problematic ppl.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
trying to replicate spicy mayo from the sushi rolls I get to add to rice bowls, any suggestions? most recipes seem to be "2 tsp sriracha to 2 tbsp" and I'm not sure if I'm missing something or Srirachi just isn't the right sauce.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Birthday is today, and wife got me the Anova Nano, along with some sous vide bags kit, that has the bags and a bump and stuff. Gonna have to search sous vide on this thread, and look back through all the posts of different hardware people have found best. Buckets, bags, recipes, etc.

Right now my biggest question I'm searching is whether or not the Nano has a water limit, so is this limiting me to a certain size water bath.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Birthday is today, and wife got me the Anova Nano, along with some sous vide bags kit, that has the bags and a bump and stuff. Gonna have to search sous vide on this thread, and look back through all the posts of different hardware people have found best. Buckets, bags, recipes, etc.

Right now my biggest question I'm searching is whether or not the Nano has a water limit, so is this limiting me to a certain size water bath.
i have the nano, i was using a 6qt dutch oven on it for a while, i was using my anova everyday b4 covid cuz i was on carnivore and that dutch oven on my counter was just taking up a lot of space. so i got a 6qt Rubbermaid Commercial Products Plastic Space Saving Square Food Storage Container For Kitchen/Sous Vide/Food Prep, 6 Quart, Clear (Fg630600Clr)

you can use anything really, just make sure it's tall enough, that container is at 8inches and it fits just fine.

what do you mean by water limit? like how big can the nano do? it's actually a really powerful heater to be honest., i can fill that 6qt up with cold/room temp water and the nano will bring it up to 135 in minutes.

but realize, since it's so short, if you wanna use larger containers, you really have to fill it up near the top.

Crone

i have the nano, i was using a 6qt dutch oven on it for a while, i was using my anova everyday b4 covid cuz i was on carnivore and that dutch oven on my counter was just taking up a lot of space. so i got a 6qt Rubbermaid Commercial Products Plastic Space Saving Square Food Storage Container For Kitchen/Sous Vide/Food Prep, 6 Quart, Clear (Fg630600Clr)

you can use anything really, just make sure it's tall enough, that container is at 8inches and it fits just fine.

what do you mean by water limit? like how big can the nano do? it's actually a really powerful heater to be honest., i can fill that 6qt up with cold/room temp water and the nano will bring it up to 135 in minutes.

but realize, since it's so short, if you wanna use larger containers, you really have to fill it up near the top.
We have the big 6qt insta-Pot so was just going to use that. Wife also got me a sous vide bag kit, which has some vacuum seal bags, and a hand pump. Will get some steaks going pretty soon to try it out first.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We have the big 6qt insta-Pot so was just going to use that. Wife also got me a sous vide bag kit, which has some vacuum seal bags, and a hand pump. Will get some steaks going pretty soon to try it out first.
yea, i was using that also, that works too, just a shame you have to take it out of the instapot in order to "clip" it on.

you can also always use water displasement with cheap sandwich bags (don't expect them to hold well)

but they'll work in a pinch or one time use, or for marinades

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Splurged on a internal compression ice cream machine a few weeks back and have been experimenting with different ice creams ever since. Let me just say that if you are loathe to do stress baking during the heat of the summer stress ice cream making is a damn fine substitute.

At its most basic ice cream is just a frozen custard, but using good real cream, vanilla bean, high quality European chocolate etc. elevates things to a whole new level. I've been using non-extract real ingredients whenever possible and the results have been a resounding success. I encourage any foodie with the available appliance space to seriously consider adding a machine to your repertoire.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Stress baking = all the people who went crazy with buying up flour and started learning to bake during the COVIDs...also a precursor to stress eating.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Stress baking = all the people who went crazy with buying up flour and started learning to bake during the COVIDs...also a precursor to stress eating.
i'm having fun w/ my pasta maker, but i'm finding it difficult even going thru 3lbs of flour lulz, let alone 55lbs

Qhue

Trump's Staff
We make our own pizza dough at least once a week, not always for pizza. Before the heat really kicked in and we still had 60 degree days we were going wild with pizza though. Carbs cheese and salty meats are great comfort food.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Made some bangin muffins for the kids this morning, about this recipe Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins | Sally's Baking Addiction and they turned out amazing. Nutmeg in chocolate chip muffins, who knew?

Also, Operation: Babish Pastrami is underway on day 4. I think either Saturday or Sunday I will go ahead and pull it off and finish. I'll try and take some pics of the finished product. I'm pretty excited, haven't had real pastrami in ages.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My brother made pastrami a while back and it was pretty great.

Crone

Anyone have a great baby back rib dry rub that's fantastic. Saturday I'm doing a couple rocks of spare and a few more of baby back and wanna have some sauced up and some with a dry rub.