Gravy's Cooking Thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Just finished my first batch of deer jerky and man, it is gamier than I had hoped. Still good, though. Just wouldn't put it up against beef jerky.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Have you tried elk yet?

1589389187257.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
fam, I think I might be lactose intolerant. Eating a pint of ice cream tonight for science to test my hypothesis.

but realyl though, if I drink actual milk, the next day my guts are on fucking red alert. This sucks.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
fam, I think I might be lactose intolerant. Eating a pint of ice cream tonight for science to test my hypothesis.

but realyl though, if I drink actual milk, the next day my guts are on fucking red alert. This sucks.
Little doses of milk are fine, but if I eat any ice cream or a malt/shake/etc, Bubblegut and the runs. And it's FAST.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Going to attempt pastor tacos Monday but not really sure on the cooking time. Sliced up an 8 pound bone in pork shoulder and have it marinating for cooking via inderict heat on the ceramic charcoal on a vertical wooden skewer with a pineapple holding it steady with the idea of slicing it like gyro meat after. I've seen some recommend 350 for 1.5-2 hours and others do a low and slow for 4ish hours than finish it with a torch or broiler to get the outside crispy. Anyone that has done this before have a recommendation? Also, anyone have a recommendation for a pork bone broth recipe? Want to make some raman from scratch with this huge left over bone but have only ever done chicken and beef.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Starting getting a weekly delivery of local in season/foraged ingredients. Never had fiddleheads before which was cool. Also a sourdough the wife made.

IMG-20200517-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200523-WA0000.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Starting getting a weekly delivery of local in season/foraged ingredients. Never had fiddleheads before which was cool. Also a sourdough the wife made.

That loaf is solid; good spring and a nice ear. My only suggestion is to let it go darker (cook it a little longer without a lid) and see if you like a more caramelized crust. That is completely preference but I find most people like it that way.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My sous vide saw it's maiden voyage this weekend. Of course, I made steak. 133 degrees for almost two hours. Brushed with vegetable oil. Seared in a high heat cast iron for 50 seconds each side. After the first flip I tossed in some butter and basted the steak. This was easily the best steak I've ever made. The evenness of cooking was fantastic, but what really impressed me was the juiciness. Sous vide retains so much moisture. Love it.

20200522_164243.jpg

20200522_184451.jpg

20200522_184550.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Quality Calories
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Made a pork butt yesterday for the first time in my Pit Boss Pellet Grill. I gave it an injection of chicken bouillon, peach nectar, white grape, brown sugar, Worcestershire and soy and gave it a rub in a hickory based rub (next time I’ll leave off the white grape and double the amount of peach). I smoked it at 225 for 5 hours and Then pulled it, put more rub on it, basted it with honey and put it in a pan and cover it for 5.5 more hours at 250 until it hit an internal of 206.

turned out really good, super moist and had a nice bark to it. Even had a decent smoke ring for only being smoked for half it’s cooking time.

68806F0F-97D1-4FB2-B743-DC5DDAFBB3B6.jpeg

B1DB8732-8B23-40B0-945F-8055D81DCA00.jpeg

2ACACF18-FF9A-4065-851A-06E007688A1E.jpeg

2D7DD983-7131-4B2D-835E-51BE9B67F6E3.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Quality Calories
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Dude. I'm glad you liked it, but you don't have to dump all that shit on it. Pork actually tastes good on it's own. You don't need to get 5 lbs of sugar into it and frankly I think it tastes better without it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Dude. I'm glad you liked it, but you don't have to dump all that shit on it. Pork actually tastes good on it's own. You don't need to get 5 lbs of sugar into it and frankly I think it tastes better without it.

The Only thing I “dumped” on it was a hickory rub and a baste in honey.

And to say something is good so you don’t need to do things to make it taste better is a weird flex. Do you only eat cheese pizza?Do you put no seasoning on any food? Also didn’t you also say you can’t tell the difference in taste with different wood smoke? That’s not meant as a dig, just maybe you have a simpler pallet is all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• 1Worf