Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Am I alone in using ziplock bags in my sous vide?
I mean, I'm not against it, I just batch up like 5 sets of the same meal at the same time. So ~20 pork chops get divided into vacuum bags, sealed, and most of them head to a freezer while 1 set goes into the fridge (or directly into the water bath). It makes more sense to use a vacuum bag if I'm throwing them in the freezer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I mean, I'm not against it, I just batch up like 5 sets of the same meal at the same time. So ~20 pork chops get divided into vacuum bags, sealed, and most of them head to a freezer while 1 set goes into the fridge (or directly into the water bath). It makes more sense to use a vacuum bag if I'm throwing them in the freezer.
it's actually about the same price

48quart bags are 5bucks, if you buy precut sous vide quart bags at 4mil thickness it's 26bucks for 200

sure you have to factor in cost of equipment, but a vac sealer has many uses

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
First time using the wok. Made some shrimp egg rolls and chicken wings. Guess not the most traditional meal that's cooked on a wok but it was so awesome!

20201101_195619.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
First time using the wok. Made some shrimp egg rolls and chicken wings. Guess not the most traditional meal that's cooked on a wok but it was so awesome!

View attachment 314299
just looking at your knobs i recommend a splatterguard
b72301b0b223ce6b26e3b3fcbd10087d.png

its a dollar at the dollar store, amazon sells more various sizes

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We actually have one but totally forgot about it!
if yours came with a lid, b/c careful
e598465fb5ded56e7565e8cbae8723be.png

the big round lid is good to steam and infuse flavor, but it'll condensate really quick at the top, and if you aren't careful, you'll drop a blob of moisture/water right into your wok upon removal. i'f youre not doing oil, it's no big deal, if you are, it'll splatter.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
if yours came with a lid, b/c careful
e598465fb5ded56e7565e8cbae8723be.png

the big round lid is good to steam and infuse flavor, but it'll condensate really quick at the top, and if you aren't careful, you'll drop a blob of moisture/water right into your wok upon removal. i'f youre not doing oil, it's no big deal, if you are, it'll splatter.
I gotta figure out best way to get it closer to the flames in my gas stove. We have a ring that it sits on but makes it quite far away.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
it's actually about the same price

48quart bags are 5bucks, if you buy precut sous vide quart bags at 4mil thickness it's 26bucks for 200

sure you have to factor in cost of equipment, but a vac sealer has many uses
Nah, I buy the massive fucking roll and cut to length. I think I end up with a bit more bags that way, though I will occasionally cut one too short and have to scrap it (or use it for something else).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nah, I buy the massive fucking roll and cut to length. I think I end up with a bit more bags that way, though I will occasionally cut one too short and have to scrap it (or use it for something else).
i used to buy the rolls too, but it was annoying to "prepare" a few bags if i had a haul of meats

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This right here is some lololol level shit. Didn't actually watch it.

Only reason they had to hire these three is because Sohla El-Waylly threw a fit and quit during the height BLM fever. She complained about having to do her job.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I thought she wasn't getting paid at all for her video appearances. idk, whatever the story was, they couldn't have been more transparent in their first video after all that shit.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I thought she wasn't getting paid at all for her video appearances. idk, whatever the story was, they couldn't have been more transparent in their first video after all that shit.
Here's what I've gathered happened, just based on what I've read from various parties involved.

Sohla applied for a junior job at BA magazine, as a recipe tester, she was overqualified for and got it. About six months in she complained about her low salary and got a 20% raise (50k to 60k).

Around the time she was hired she also started appearing in BA videos. The videos are made by a separate company and are paid out completely independently of the magazine salary. The pay for most people is per appearance and about a couple hundred bucks. Other people, whom had been there longer, had more seniority, and/or starred in wildly successful shows(e.g. Brad with It's Alive) had much better contracts for way more pay.

The fact that more senior people with popular shows got paid more than her was racism, because apparently that was the only explanation for the pay disparity.

Reportedly she had two of her own shows in development when all this happened. I'm speculating that some sort of negotiation (possibly over pay?) broke down around those two shows and that was when she decided to burn the whole house down around specious accusations of racism.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here's what I've gathered happened, just based on what I've read from various parties involved.

Sohla applied for a junior job at BA magazine, as a recipe tester, she was overqualified for and got it. About six months in she complained about her low salary and got a 20% raise (50k to 60k).

Around the time she was hired she also started appearing in BA videos. The videos are made by a separate company and are paid out completely independently of the magazine salary. The pay for most people is per appearance and about a couple hundred bucks. Other people, whom had been there longer, had more seniority, and/or starred in wildly successful shows(e.g. Brad with It's Alive) had much better contracts for way more pay.

The fact that more senior people with popular shows got paid more than her was racism, because apparently that was the only explanation for the pay disparity.

Reportedly she had two of her own shows in development when all this happened. I'm speculating that some sort of negotiation (possibly over pay?) broke down around those two shows and that was when she decided to burn the whole house down around specious accusations of racism.

When does she either go to jail for slander and false accusations, or disappear into an alley to become a heroin fiend and everyone forgets, forever?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

actually imo,

this bitch got EXTREMELY lucky and it was all about right place, right time (george floyd)

• 1Worf

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Made steak au poivre last night. Fucking delicious but I definitely almost set the cabinets on fire during the flambe step in making the sauce. Need to install a hood over the stove.

Attachments

• EDA73946-486F-436B-8CD5-BF822AC16A35.jpeg
    EDA73946-486F-436B-8CD5-BF822AC16A35.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
actually imo,

this bitch got EXTREMELY lucky and it was all about right place, right time (george floyd)

Meanwhile Molly never went to culinary school, and no one besides Sohla could even temper chocolate. They would constantly interrupt her work to make her help them and not get paid for it. just lol

• 1Like