Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Y'all some fancy mofos. I'll be trying to use enough mayo choke down half a leftover turkey sando. Thanksgiving was cancelled for my girlfriend and I by her liberal sister, but we still got delivered uninspiring leftovers last night at 8pm.

Including cranberry "Mormon" salad (I've heard it called). Raspberry jello with cranberries, celery and walnuts. Hard pass from me, because WTF. But I guess it's a thing because we were brought a whole container of it.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Y'all some fancy mofos. I'll be trying to use enough mayo choke down half a leftover turkey sando. Thanksgiving was cancelled for my girlfriend and I by her liberal sister, but we still got delivered uninspiring leftovers last night at 8pm.

Including cranberry "Mormon" salad (I've heard it called). Raspberry jello with cranberries, celery and walnuts. Hard pass from me, because WTF. But I guess it's a thing because we were brought a whole container of it.
coulda bought a turkey fryer like i did, takes zero skill

i've cooked enough oven turkeys (i still remember my first 2 years lulz) to say as long as i had 2 days to brine it, it'd be great, this fried turkey is beyond amazing.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For the first time in the history of the world we pretty much made the exact amount of food we needed... no leftover turkey, no leftover stuffing, barely any leftover anything else.

Fuck load of desserts though...

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
For the first time in the history of the world we pretty much made the exact amount of food we needed... no leftover turkey, no leftover stuffing, barely any leftover anything else.

Fuck load of desserts though...
no left over turkey? how many ppl and did you cook a cornish hen? lulz

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
coulda bought a turkey fryer like i did, takes zero skill

i've cooked enough oven turkeys (i still remember my first 2 years lulz) to say as long as i had 2 days to brine it, it'd be great, this fried turkey is beyond amazing.

A larger fryer appliance on my short list. Because yeah best turkey I ever had was fried.

Thought about trying to sous vide a turkey just for the absurdity of it.

Was gonna smoke a turkey but thought we had plans until the night before.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
A larger fryer appliance on my short list. Because yeah best turkey I ever had was fried.

Thought about trying to sous vide a turkey just for the absurdity of it.

Was gonna smoke a turkey but thought we had plans until the night before.
oh yea didn't you say you were all gonna have thx giving behind the crazy libs back? guess that went south

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
no left over turkey? how many ppl and did you cook a cornish hen? lulz
We had 13 people and had an 18-20lb I think?
There was like a wing and a massacred leg leftover so I stand corrected, but those both went to the dogs.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
oh yea didn't you say you were all gonna have thx giving behind the crazy libs back? guess that went south

Yeah, you could say that. We were going to all get together, but the liberal sister threw a tantrum and said it was too risky to gather.

We found out they just had other plans to do a brisket and to have her husband's family over instead. But then on Wednesday their Traeger broke, and he was feuding with his family so they decided they were going to plan a dinner with her family.

That's when she found out we were gathering without her, so another tantrum and chaos and my girlfriend and I were uninvited to our own dinner plans because we aren't vaccinated.

They made brisket anyhow, without a working smoker, but just in the oven and it's not appetizing. So much family drama, and the real victim is that poor, abused brisket.

We made hot Italian sausage stuffing on the stovetop and had that with leftover pasta. Was a nice and quiet Thanksgiving considering. Better than the time a similar thing happened with Christmas and we ended up eating grocery store Chinese.

Looking forward to Christmas. I'm planning to do a prime rib again to have with all the family drama.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah, you could say that. We were going to all get together, but the liberal sister threw a tantrum and said it was too risky to gather.

We found out they just had other plans to do a brisket and to have her husband's family over instead. But then on Wednesday their Traeger broke, and he was feuding with his family so they decided they were going to plan a dinner with her family.

That's when she found out we were gathering without her, so another tantrum and chaos and my girlfriend and I were uninvited to our own dinner plans because we aren't vaccinated.

They made brisket anyhow, without a working smoker, but just in the oven and it's not appetizing. So much family drama, and the real victim is that poor, abused brisket.

We made hot Italian sausage stuffing on the stovetop and had that with leftover pasta. Was a nice and quiet Thanksgiving considering. Better than the time a similar thing happened with Christmas and we ended up eating grocery store Chinese.

Looking forward to Christmas. I'm planning to do a prime rib again to have with all the family drama.
imo that traeger didn't break

it was just like me, forgot to cover with the tarp, didn't empty the hopper and rain water seeped in and expanded the wood pellets in the auger.

after looking for replacement parts, traeger/rectec whatever all use the same chinese motor and electronics.

but smoking in a oven? what they do, use a pan and wet wood?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
imo that traeger didn't break

it was just like me, forgot to cover with the tarp, didn't empty the hopper and rain water seeped in and expanded the wood pellets in the auger.

after looking for replacement parts, traeger/rectec whatever all use the same chinese motor and electronics.

but smoking in a oven? what they do, use a pan and wet wood?

Maybe. They're pretty well off so tend to mistreat and repurchase even things I would consider bigger ticket items. And do leave shit outside constantly.

Apparently it wasn't smoking. So they put the brisket in early in the morning, went back to sleep, woke up hours later and it had just been slow cooking. So took half cooked non-smoker brisket to finish in the oven. Then we got leftovers. It's like heavily seasoned slow warmed roast and very tough.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Apparently it wasn't smoking. So they put the brisket in early in the morning, went back to sleep, woke up hours later and it had just been slow cooking. So took half cooked non-smoker brisket to finish in the oven. Then we got leftovers. It's like heavily seasoned slow warmed roast and very tough.
yup, exactly, the auger wasn't turning so theres no wood to make a fire.

the "slow cooking" was just from the element creating massive heat and just being trapped in the traeger itself.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Was going to deep fry our bird, but it proceeded to rain most of the day. At least gave me enough time to prep sides and and get stuff ready to hit the oven. When it finally quit raining, I was too tired to dick around with monitoring oil so we just broke out the Big Easy.

Dry brined, injected, beer can turkey instead. It's not quite the same has a standard fry but you can get pretty damn close results. I'll drizzle peanut oil after the skin sets up a bit a few times throughout the cook to give it that fried flavor, and help crisp things up. Shove a ton of aromatics into an oil can if Fosters, and you can basically set and forget.

Probably the juiciest turkey I've made in a long time. We just did the typical sides, and the only disappointment was the green bean casserole. I should have blanched the beans for a little bit, because they just ended up cooking unevenly. Still tasted really good though. I think the gravy was the star of the show. Was never a big fan of using the organ meats from the bird in the past, but rendered out everything I could with lots of fresh herbs, mushrooms, and a half a cup of Brandy.

All in all, we were very happy with the results, and looking forward to the leftovers.

IMG_20211125_194227153.jpg
IMG_20211125_193734597.jpg
IMG_20211125_193725410.jpg

IMG_20211125_193512237.jpg
IMG_20211125_190601963.jpg
IMG_20211125_182153082.jpg

IMG_20211125_193831420.jpg
IMG_20211125_192140595.jpg
IMG_20211125_190932765.jpg

• 4Quality Calories
  • 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 8 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
A Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes. What a cruel world. Not wanting cause a scene, I asked my wife on the car ride home. How did we get roast vegetables, stereotypical green bean casserole, underseasoned potatoes au gratin, stuffing, candied yams, butterhorn roles, cranberry relish, a half gallon of gravy, apple pie, rice pudding, some cheesecake/pumpkin pie hybrid monstrosity, but no fucking mashed potatoes?

"They suck leftover".

Antipasto platter was great, at least. I keep pushing to go full Italian and just have lasagna for dinner.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Supertaster
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
A Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes. What a cruel world. Not wanting cause a scene, I asked my wife on the car ride home. How did we get roast vegetables, stereotypical green bean casserole, underseasoned potatoes au gratin, stuffing, candied yams, butterhorn roles, cranberry relish, a half gallon of gravy, apple pie, rice pudding, some cheesecake/pumpkin pie hybrid monstrosity, but no fucking mashed potatoes?

"They suck leftover".

Antipasto platter was great, at least. I keep pushing to go full Italian and just have lasagna for dinner.

Good mashed potatoes are often even better on a proper reheat.... This is indisputable fact.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

"They suck leftover".

Man, the reasoning behind it is almost worse than the fact that they weren't there. I actually announced at dinner this year that I would be okay with it if I came to Thanksgiving and all they had was stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Also I've had reheated mashed potatoes twice since Thanksgiving dinner and I have no idea wtf your wife is talking about.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Man, the reasoning behind it is almost worse than the fact that they weren't there. I actually announced at dinner this year that I would be okay with it if I came to Thanksgiving and all they had was stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Also I've had reheated mashed potatoes twice since Thanksgiving dinner and I have no idea wtf your wife is talking about.
my wife wants me to remake the green bean cassarole

while ppl do they put crack in cambells cream of mushroom?
c81474f4ec61d37fb9a1a0f91bd53b2a.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
my wife wants me to remake the green bean cassarole

while ppl do they put crack in cambells cream of mushroom?
c81474f4ec61d37fb9a1a0f91bd53b2a.png
Tried to warn you lol. It is how nearly everyone use to make it and it not something you eat all the time, so it's more about triggering nostalgia than anything else. I've tried all kinds of fancy variations in the past with holiday dishes and someone always complains that it should be done the 'traditional' way, which usually means the cheap way mom use to make it, when we didn't have whole foods.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Deathwing's wife is defective in multiple ways but she locked him down with a kid.

Might try something more adventurous (and tasty) than turkey next year.
Your comment is highly offensive as it assumes I'm not equally if not more defective.