Gravy's Cooking Thread

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Was going to deep fry our bird, but it proceeded to rain most of the day. At least gave me enough time to prep sides and and get stuff ready to hit the oven. When it finally quit raining, I was too tired to dick around with monitoring oil so we just broke out the Big Easy.

Dry brined, injected, beer can turkey instead. It's not quite the same has a standard fry but you can get pretty damn close results. I'll drizzle peanut oil after the skin sets up a bit a few times throughout the cook to give it that fried flavor, and help crisp things up. Shove a ton of aromatics into an oil can if Fosters, and you can basically set and forget.

Probably the juiciest turkey I've made in a long time. We just did the typical sides, and the only disappointment was the green bean casserole. I should have blanched the beans for a little bit, because they just ended up cooking unevenly. Still tasted really good though. I think the gravy was the star of the show. Was never a big fan of using the organ meats from the bird in the past, but rendered out everything I could with lots of fresh herbs, mushrooms, and a half a cup of Brandy.

All in all, we were very happy with the results, and looking forward to the leftovers.

View attachment 384615View attachment 384616View attachment 384617

View attachment 384618View attachment 384621View attachment 384623

View attachment 384625View attachment 384628View attachment 384629
Well said: gravy is always the star of the show at Thanksgiving.

I think people who don't like Turkey just don't understand Gravy. I don't want to be offensive here, but I think they may actually be using fake gravy from a packet or can or something.

Eating the meat without the gravy, shit - half the good stuff has cooked out. It goes in the gravy. Then you put it back on and the meat is complete once again.

The only problem is I have never figured out how to make enough gravy from any roast meat. The gravy always runs out before the meat does. But while both gravy and turkey are available, turkey is top tier roast meat.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

I think people who don't like Turkey just don't understand Gravy. I don't want to be offensive here, but I think they may actually be using fake gravy from a packet or can or something.

Eating the meat without the gravy, shit - half the good stuff has cooked out. It goes in the gravy. Then you put it back on and the meat is complete once again.

The only problem is I have never figured out how to make enough gravy from any roast meat. The gravy always runs out before the meat does. But while both gravy and turkey are available, turkey is top tier roast meat.
That's why we tried to do a double batch. Used the organ packet, neck, tail,and fat trimmings off the bird to get enough of a fond. Sauteed a ton of mushrooms, shallots, and green onions. Made my roux, then lots of chicken stock and brandy. The leftovers were able to fill two jars, and we just reconstitute with a little bit more stock when needed. Needless to say we didn't run out this year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
How I put food on my plate is: mashed potatoes, meats, stuffing/dressing, peas or corn on the mashed potatoes...then drench it all in gravy.

I was speechless when my 13yo nephew: 1) told my mother (who had made it) that he'd never had stuffing/dressing before, 2) tried a nibble (w/o gravy) while making a face, 3) told my mother that it wasn't very good. Then his sister, who had sat there watching, just outright declined.

It's not that my mother makes terrible stuffing/dressing (she's a great cook)...it's that my sister does not eat (or cook) carb dishes, so her kids don't really get exposed to a lot of stuff. Which, to me, is fucking weird, but whatever.

I think my criticism of turkey is more due to the fact that ham and red meat don't need gravy. They can stand on their own. You can eat it plain. I never once took a plate full of ham and thought to myself: "You know what this needs to be edible? A metric fuckton of gravy poured over it"

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

I make really good gravy, never from a packet (mildly offended). But turkey still isn't awesome, even with good gravy. It's okay, but man, cook a goose and even without gravy it's good.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My brisket game improves.

Attachments

• PXL_20211126_001648905.jpg
    PXL_20211126_001648905.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Y'all some fancy mofos. I'll be trying to use enough mayo choke down half a leftover turkey sando. Thanksgiving was cancelled for my girlfriend and I by her liberal sister, but we still got delivered uninspiring leftovers last night at 8pm.

Including cranberry "Mormon" salad (I've heard it called). Raspberry jello with cranberries, celery and walnuts. Hard pass from me, because WTF. But I guess it's a thing because we were brought a whole container of it.
Dude, this is how grandma makes turkey because they don't understand the concept of brining and cooking at high heat. That is the ONLY way to make an excellent juicy turkey in the oven IMO.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i don't turkey with gravy

cuz i'm the man of the house and i duel wield turkey legs

dark meat don't need no gravy

• 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i don't turkey with gravy

cuz i'm the man of the house and i duel wield turkey legs

dark meat don't need no gravy
Spoken like a true Asian. Must be because you don't know how to make gravy only teriyaki sauce.

The more I think about it I don't really think there's a traditional western style gravy in any Asian cooking. Yeah they're different sauces, but nothing like a gravy. That's why the West is the best.

sexy donald trump GIF by Bubble Punk

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Spoken like a true Asian. Must be because you don't know how to make gravy only teriyaki sauce.

The more I think about it I don't really think there's a traditional western style gravy in any Asian cooking. Yeah they're different sauces, but nothing like a gravy. That's why the West is the best.

sexy donald trump GIF by Bubble Punk
i didn't say i don't make gravy, i just don't have a need for it

but i did make it for my wife since she likes the breast meat and what the hell are you gonna do with the giblets anyway besides make gravy

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i didn't say i don't make gravy, i just don't have a need for it

but i did make it for my wife since she likes the breast meat and what the hell are you gonna do with the giblets anyway besides make gravy
To each his own I guess, this is America, and it's a free country after all. Poorly cooked turkey ends up just being a vehicle for gravy and mashed potatoes. If you treat it like a proper sauce, it can enhance the experience, and elevate the meal. Plus you're not wasting any of those wonderful drippings.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
To each his own I guess, this is America, and it's a free country after all. Poorly cooked turkey ends up just being a vehicle for gravy and mashed potatoes. If you treat it like a proper sauce, it can enhance the experience, and elevate the meal. Plus you're not wasting any of those wonderful drippings.
gravys not difficult, it's not like gravy is the only thing in the world that uses roux lulz

it was harder this time cuz i deep fried, but then i just cut off the butt and used the ass for the gravy drippings.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
gravys not difficult, it's not like gravy is the only thing in the world that uses roux lulz

it was harder this time cuz i deep fried, but then i just cut off the butt and used the ass for the gravy drippings.
Of course it isn't the only thing that uses a roux, I'm just surprised that somebody that's so big into food and cooking, doesn't appreciate how good gravy is, especially with certain proteins / meals.

At least your wife knows the score.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Of course it isn't the only thing that uses a roux, I'm just surprised that somebody that's so big into food and cooking, doesn't appreciate how good gravy is, especially with certain proteins / meals.

At least your wife knows the score.
yea my wife thinks bagels are just a way to serve cream cheese

• 1Worf