Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I just re dehydrated some tomatoes overnight in mine. Took 8 hours but results were more consistent than doing them in regular oven

Tomorrow I'll be trying duck confit style legs which are simple to do sous vide

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
da fuq?

Turn on Saute
1/2 cup dried (washed and reviewed for stones/bugs) beans IN.
1 cup water IN
15oz can chopped tomatoes IN.
1lb protein cubes (i've used tofu, stew beef, ground beef) often still frozen IN.
spices/spice mix/other things like a jar of jalapeno slices IN.
seal up. 35 min on high.

Boom, done. I'm in no way claiming this is the *best* chili (onion powder instead of sautéed onions, no browning on the meat, etc etc), but it is dead simple and you fuss with things for maybe 5 minutes before its cooking and you're off to something else till it beeps and you dish up.

onions.jpg

Was my first attempt at sauted/caramelised onions. Wanted to have them with a scrambled egg brioche but didn't expect the unit to take so long to pressurise, and the valve must not have been seated properly because by the time the eggs were cooked it beeped "no pressure" at me. When I opened the lid, some of the onions were burned, so I checked the seal and tried again.

TBH, a few minutes pre-saute and 4 minutes actual cook time to get them this "caramelised" was ok - if you factor in the 10 minute time to pressurise. It was my first time using any pressure cooker method so probably need some time to acquire the skill level

Oh and here's the egg brioche

bun.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
264281299_10159358892555250_1972905120582937411_n.jpg

First "meal" with the Ninja Foodi.

Normally I would cook duck legs sous vide for 12+ hours and they would fall off the bone. These took ten minutes on "steam crisp" mode to hit internal temp, potatoes needed an extra ten minutes air fry to get crispy. So the texture of the duck was a shock and I ended up eating it by hand off the bone.

So far I prefer the SV method, but no comparison between 10 minutes and 12+ hours. Will try duck legs solely via pressure cooker next time.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
i don't turkey with gravy

cuz i'm the man of the house and i duel wield turkey legs

dark meat don't need no gravy
what the fuck

I tried to explain this once but I will do it again. When you roast meat, part of the deliciousness leaves the meat. A pretty large fraction, if we're being honest. That good stuff goes into the drippings.

When you make gravy, you return all that goodness back to where it belongs. Its not that the meat needs gravy. Its that the gravy is part of the meat - the tastiest part. Meat without its gravy is incomplete. Or to put it more accurately. You're not even eating the meat. You're eating part of it, part that is drier and less flavorful.

Eating roast meat without the gravy is like eating only boneless skinless chicken breast. Its a deliberate choice to eat inferior, less flavorful, less juicy meat.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Eating roast meat without the gravy is like eating only boneless skinless chicken breast. Its a deliberate choice to eat inferior, less flavorful, less juicy meat.

I batch cook boneless, skinless chicken breast 2kg at a time in sous vide. I don't marinade it, just use store bought seasoning. Lately I've been eating 500g of chicken breast a day and not bothering to re-heat it.

I eat 200g protein a day, and eating this way allows me to maintain single digit body fat % year round. Sous vide chicken breast is perfectly fine

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Did you ever see my old avatar? Or just go to to the Ossoifans thread

Yes. And no thank you. In fact barf to both.

My sarcastic point was a hint that perhaps people in the cooking thread may not be interested in your bland chicken recipe that was obviously just a way for you (a well deserved asshat) to talk about himself.

Especially when you defend against the assertion eating plain boneless, skinless chicken breast is a deliberate choice to eat inferior meat by sharing your asshat reasons for making exactly such a deliberate choice by doing bulk, bland sous vide chicken and eating it cold for a deliberate choice clearly other than producing good tasting food.

I don't even serve my dog cold, bland chicken. And no, I don't want to hear about what you're giving dogs.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

My sarcastic point was a hint that perhaps people in the cooking thread may not be interested in your bland chicken recipe that was obviously just a way for you (a well deserved asshat) to talk about himself.

Especially when you defend against the assertion eating plain boneless, skinless chicken breast is a deliberate choice to eat inferior meat by sharing your asshat reasons for making exactly such a deliberate choice by doing bulk, bland sous vide chicken and eating it cold for a deliberate choice clearly other than producing good tasting food.

I don't even serve my dog cold, bland chicken. And no, I don't want to hear about what you're giving dogs.
yea i know, whats wrong w/ just eating a cooked chicken boobie cold? thats a fucking cold cut

hell this whole week either have a bowl of ramen or a bowl of rice and just take out the sliced turkey from the fridge and dump it in the bowl, no microwave needed

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Sous vide and bland don't go together, that WAS the point you clown

• 1Moron

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
yea i know, whats wrong w/ just eating a cooked chicken boobie cold? thats a fucking cold cut

hell this whole week either have a bowl of ramen or a bowl of rice and just take out the sliced turkey from the fridge and dump it in the bowl, no microwave needed

I've actually been reheating the chicken on air fryer mode. It doesn't sear a skinless chicken breast but it does reheat it nicely with less effort/time than heating up the water bath

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Reheating meat leftovers in soup is my new go to. Been doing faux-pho like that with pork and steak lately.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
what the fuck

I tried to explain this once but I will do it again. When you roast meat, part of the deliciousness leaves the meat. A pretty large fraction, if we're being honest. That good stuff goes into the drippings.

When you make gravy, you return all that goodness back to where it belongs. Its not that the meat needs gravy. Its that the gravy is part of the meat - the tastiest part. Meat without its gravy is incomplete. Or to put it more accurately. You're not even eating the meat. You're eating part of it, part that is drier and less flavorful.

Except for every other meat ever...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Reheating meat leftovers in soup is my new go to. Been doing faux-pho like that with pork and steak lately.
yea i just boil water, throw in 3cups? of brocolli crowns (i hate the stems only crowns for me) and then just take my pho bowl (its a big bowl) and just put from my fridge a ramen egg, some kind of pre cooked sliced meat (char siu/brisket) obviously now it's gonna be pounds of ham and turkey, heh.

then just drop in the ramen and it's my one meal for the day.

how big are your pho bowls dude? i recently got these bowls and i love em
e9e3b8e6a7e782724c43c0cfa17b1058.png

theyre big but don't look like salad bowls (even tho thats what its kinda for, lulz)

i had bowls like these, but its the melamine kind (cuz thats just what asians buy if you want a big soup bowl) so i want less plastics in life now

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
yea i just boil water, throw in 3cups? of brocolli crowns (i hate the stems only crowns for me) and then just take my pho bowl (its a big bowl) and just put from my fridge a ramen egg, some kind of pre cooked sliced meat (char siu/brisket) obviously now it's gonna be pounds of ham and turkey, heh.

then just drop in the ramen and it's my one meal for the day.

how big are your pho bowls dude? i recently got these bowls and i love em
e9e3b8e6a7e782724c43c0cfa17b1058.png

theyre big but don't look like salad bowls (even tho thats what its kinda for, lulz)

i had bowls like these, but its the melamine kind (cuz thats just what asians buy if you want a big soup bowl) so i want less plastics in life now

For being so small Asians can fill themselves with a lot of soup. The only good pho place in town we usually get one order to go, split it in two, then have enough for another serving later. If you dine in they won't let you share, which distresses a lot of women eating there when they get served a vat of soup.

I got pho/ramen bowls that are actually fruit or serving bowls... as a joke, because we end up just using normal bowls. For being fat, I love soup, but can never eat much of it.

Finally went to the Asian market for real oyster sauce, so gonna appropriate some culture tonight.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For being so small Asians can fill themselves with a lot of soup. The only good pho place in town we usually get one order to go, split it in two, then have enough for another serving later. If you dine in they won't let you share, which distresses a lot of women eating there when they get served a vat of soup.

I got pho/ramen bowls that are actually fruit or serving bowls... as a joke, because we end up just using normal bowls. For being fat, I love soup, but can never eat much of it.

Finally went to the Asian market for real oyster sauce, so gonna appropriate some culture tonight.
it better be
922037a6-d0e0-4da2-aeac-b71660df1599_1.a98dcf48ae3500519fdc660cef783769.jpeg

kroger publix and walmart all carry lee kum kee products, so you might want to check the asian aisle first if the asian market is too far away next time, just take a picture, its only gonna be at most 1 full bookshelf of asian stuff anyway

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
it better be
922037a6-d0e0-4da2-aeac-b71660df1599_1.a98dcf48ae3500519fdc660cef783769.jpeg

kroger publix and walmart all carry lee kum kee products, so you might want to check the asian aisle first if the asian market is too far away next time, just take a picture, its only gonna be at most 1 full bookshelf of asian stuff anyway

We got Lee Kum Kee "premium" from the Asian market this time. Expensive, but the ones we got from the regular grocery store last time tasted weird and too weak, like it was all sugar or artificial oyster flavor or something.

Last year we got some from a giant Asian grocery store in Seattle that was amazingly good. Wish I could remember the brand.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We got Lee Kum Kee "premium" from the Asian market this time. Expensive, but the ones we got from the regular grocery store last time tasted weird and too weak, like it was all sugar or artificial oyster flavor or something.

Last year we got some from a giant Asian grocery store in Seattle that was amazingly good. Wish I could remember the brand.
the one w/ the lady in a boat?