Gravy's Cooking Thread

Kiki

Log Wizard
The hardest part is keeping shit moist, sous vide is probably the easiest to do that with. Sous vide with salt pepper and even just some herbs is delicioius, sear the skin too, anything goes! I pressure cook it for soup as well, tortilla soup, chicken noodle, stew, whatever. Good lazy meals, if you want to work: bread and fry it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You keep shit moist with a gravy. This is why you pan fry the shit to get it brown, then put the bird pieces in the oven and let it braise with some chicken stock and herbs and seasonings. Then thicken the braise liquid with some thickener and bam! You have a gravy. Chicken breasts will always tend to be dry but then this is why the rest of the world except the west considers chicken breasts shit meat. But a good gravy will go a long way to getting that dry meat not so dry anymore.

For you inept fucktards with no skills, they sell fucking chicken gravy packets at the store for like $.50 /ea

Or make your own with this...
1641427950298.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
I think alot of the problem is that people cook it to 165F because everyone has them scared shitless, of course its dry as shit.

• 1Truth!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't know what temp people normally do roast/baked/grilled chicken, but chicken sorta grosses me out so I cook it to 165 and rarely have it turn out dry.

Last sous vide breast I did was almost unnerving how juicy and pinkish it still was. Had to remind myself it was scientifically safe. Was delicious though.

Not sure if I got sick on chicken as a kid or just having seen how the nasty fuckers live raising them for eggs, but have always had a dubious relationship with chicken. Which is why I usually cook it in something or fall-apart slow cooked. Would eat good tandoori or bbq chicken every day of my life, but a lone, baked chicken breast or even fried chicken and I'm 25% queasy by default.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I don't know what temp people normally do roast/baked/grilled chicken, but chicken sorta grosses me out so I cook it to 165 and rarely have it turn out dry.

Last sous vide breast I did was almost unnerving how juicy and pinkish it still was. Had to remind myself it was scientifically safe. Was delicious though.

Not sure if I got sick on chicken as a kid or just having seen how the nasty fuckers live raising them for eggs, but have always had a dubious relationship with chicken. Which is why I usually cook it in something or fall-apart slow cooked. Would eat good tandoori or bbq chicken every day of my life, but a lone, baked chicken breast or even fried chicken and I'm 25% queasy by default.
Im the same way man, I dont souvie or any of that fancy nerd hipster shit but I do most of the cooking and chicken is always well done. But the chicken we cook is mostly in sauces like chicken paprikash is one of the favorites, chicken soup, I posted a good recipe here for a shredded chicken I cook in the pressure cooker then pan fry it with seasonings, onion and jalapenio for tacos and burritos and shit. Wife has a slow cooker recipe for chicken we pan fry pieces of breast then slow cook it together with cream of chicken fried up peppers and onions and celery and then cream cheese we serve over noodles. Shit liek that. In the summer I will grill some marinaded chciken breast on the grill we then use for tacos and shit...

Oh lately ive been doing the thai red curry with coconut milk and veggies I posted here as well. Probably once a week, shit is also a favorite and everyone likes that.

I do get the occasional costco $5 rotisserie and the kroger fried but thats about it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
We've been doing orange/pineapple/cayenne chicken tacos lately since we're firmly in Texmexico. Add cabbage and some sort of aioli. Shits delicious.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I took the easy way out and just bought a bagged marinade which I'd been wanting to try on something for a while anyway. Dunno why I was freaking out about cooking chicken just because it was SLIGHTLY different from the chicken I've cooked tons of times before, but I guess that's how autism catches you sometimes.

Dunno about using the pieces for pulled chicken but I might make a soup next time.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
new years resolution is to add more seafood in routine, today did chinese steamed fish

heres an asian girl to look at

i don't particularly like her recipes since they are taiwanese, but she speaks english

rather i follow this old man, his recipes are like 100% what i grew up with and sometimes it's hard to finish the videos b/c he reminds me of my dad so much i want to cry, he's a full canto chef but his son does the videos so you get subtitles

came out great and wasn't expensive, i have very little experience w/ seafood but my asian grocer (run entirely by hispanics, btw) has tanks of fresh fish, and they'll gut and clean it for you, for 5bucks a pound it was just 6bucks for us 2 (i just wanted the smallest fish cuz i don't want fish leftovers)

i opted to keep the head on b/c thats how the chef says is a good way to tell when it's done is when the eyes turn white.

they got fresh catfish and monkfish and all other kinds of fish i know nothing about if anyone has any ideas.

• 3Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
new years resolution is to add more seafood in routine, today did chinese steamed fish

i don't particularly like her recipes since they are taiwanese, but she speaks english

rather i follow this old man, his recipes are like 100% what i grew up with and sometimes it's hard to finish the videos b/c he reminds me of my dad so much i want to cry, he's a full canto chef but his son does the videos so you get subtitles

came out great and wasn't expensive, i have very little experience w/ seafood but my asian grocer (run entirely by hispanics, btw) has tanks of fresh fish, and they'll gut and clean it for you, for 5bucks a pound it was just 6bucks for us 2 (i just wanted the smallest fish cuz i don't want fish leftovers)

i opted to keep the head on b/c thats how the chef says is a good way to tell when it's done is when the eyes turn white.

they got fresh catfish and monkfish and all other kinds of fish i know nothing about if anyone has any ideas.

My mom had a small seafood cafe. The guy two doors down had a Chinese restaurant. Used to buy the salmon heads and carcasses from her. I was invited to a salmon head stew/curry like thing one time... Thanks for triggering my PTSD!

I like catfish is best on a hot grill where the oils can burn off. But delicate so hard to do. My mom had this super hot lava rock grill in her cafe that would cook the fillet really fast. Nothing fancy. Served on sourdough baguette with lettuce and fresh made tarter sauce (key is rehydrated onion in pickle juice). Could maybe do it with an electric grill, or outdoor grill but need tighter rack or it falls through.

Does clam chowder count as seafood? Been making that lately to good results (wishing I could find my mom's recipe for the only Manhattan red chowder I've ever liked).

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My mom had a small seafood cafe. The guy two doors down had a Chinese restaurant. Used to buy the salmon heads and carcasses from her. I was invited to a salmon head stew/curry like thing one time... Thanks for triggering my PTSD!

I like catfish is best on a hot grill where the oils can burn off. But delicate so hard to do. My mom had this super hot lava rock grill in her cafe that would cook the fillet really fast. Nothing fancy. Served on sourdough baguette with lettuce and fresh made tarter sauce (key is rehydrated onion in pickle juice). Could maybe do it with an electric grill, or outdoor grill but need tighter rack or it falls through.

Does clam chowder count as seafood? Been making that lately to good results (wishing I could find my mom's recipe for the only Manhattan red chowder I've ever liked).
yea, catfish sounded difficult, when i was in line i saw a spanish couple pick out a huge catfish, i asked em what they gonna make and they said they were gonna put it in their paella

idk about chowder my only comparison is cambells, never even had it in a restaurant in nyc having lived there and when i went to boston to have a few, cambells tasted better, so i wouldn't say i know good chowda

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

1641492574960.jpg

fish pic, my wife had already started digging in before she stopped to take a pic... remember that post about the fufu girl that asked me what oil she used? she also wants "ideas" of healthier foods, so shes just been taking pics of meals

as you see i skipped putting the garnish on top, i serves no purpose for me, but i did stuff the belly full of ginger and scallions, ginger apparently takes away the fishy smell and i didn't have any. also from the wife just digging in too fast, you can see that it's flakey

ingredients are in the video are common, what isn't is this
43e07d59705ad04cdf1c3d885f4375e3.png

i've had the fish w/o it, but it tastes nice, this is a huge x3 markup tho, if you have an asian grocer it's usually 5bucks

the asian grocer i used to use in ks online 99ranch dot com is out of stock of it online atm but they sell it at the regular 5buck price (and other asian stuff if you need)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
i've had the fish w/o it, but it tastes nice, this is a huge x3 markup tho, if you have an asian grocer it's usually 5bucks

the asian grocer i used to use in ks online 99ranch dot com is out of stock of it online atm but they sell it at the regular 5buck price (and other asian stuff if you need)

I've been using Yummy Bazaar: Awesome Food, Great Value, Free Shipping over $69 to get gochujang rather than drive an hour to an asian grocery. They have some cool stuff, and what we like is you can sort by country of origin to find some crazy things.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've been using Yummy Bazaar: Awesome Food, Great Value, Free Shipping over $69 to get gochujang rather than drive an hour to an asian grocery. They have some cool stuff, and what we like is you can sort by country of origin to find some crazy things.
oh thats cool, they re more international so you can also grab an odd and end, with 70bucks min free shipping and they offer % coupon codes off it looks nice, i will recommend tho if you have to buy about $50(thats when free shipping kicks in) of chinese/korean/jap/viet food stuffs 99ranch will be cheaper and you need to buy less to hit the free shipping and they also offer % coupon codes too, and i was comparing a few ingredients 99ranch is 10-20% less than yummy.

just making an observation if you want to save more $, but i know some ppl also can't buy $50 in stuff to hit the free shipping cuz all they want is like a soy sauce or a ramen and really don't want other stuff

yea i just picked up a 6lb bucket of gochujang myself, you won't believe the price, 10bucks

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That Lee Kum Kee Seasoned Soy Sauce is incredible. I assumed all soy sauces tasted the same and was shocked when I found out they don't. I should stop making assumptions.

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
they outta stock for a lot of stuff now tho, oh but also

they individually wrap EVERYTHING in bubble wrap, best shipping

Yeah the shipping was pretty good. I think now I remember I did it because I wanted 'very hot' and places around here only have hot. Then I just poured japanese candy, swedish cakes or whatever in as well.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That Lee Kum Kee Seasoned Soy Sauce is incredible. I assumed all soy sauces tasted the same and was shocked when I found out they don't. I should stop making assumptions.

We had low sodium Kikkoman. Meh. Been using regular Kikkoman, but I just got some Lee Kum Kee to taste test.

Anyone (or Lanx Lanx ) know if there is a big difference by country/region? Or is all similar once better quality?

Have had some amazing yakisoba eating out, but just not getting that deep flavor at home. Wondering if better sow sauce will help or if it's some other trick (probably something fermented hah).

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
We had low sodium Kikkoman. Meh. Been using regular Kikkoman, but I just got some Lee Kum Kee to taste test.

Anyone (or Lanx Lanx ) know if there is a big difference by country/region? Or is all similar once better quality?

Have had some amazing yakisoba eating out, but just not getting that deep flavor at home. Wondering if better sow sauce will help or if it's some other trick (probably something fermented hah).
We grew up on kikkoman because our small town only had that option. This new stuff is great.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

yea i've been saying for years

do not EVER EVER EVER buy low sodium soy sauce, they (sort of) chemically bleach it to get lower sodium, if youre worried about health just use less of it.

kikkoman is japanese

lee kum kee is chinese

it'll be a different taste, but they still use real fermented soy beans

if you need a deeper flavor, specifically for japanese, i suggest
kishibori
0029ab20caf5dbcb36526f9c63b4eb70.png

this is a smaller bottle, you'll see bigger 12oz bottles in places like sur la table

i use this soy sauce for foods i dip (sushi and dumplings) and when i make gyudon

there are more soy sauces out there tbh, the kishibori would probably be top

the next soy i'm gonna get is this one, but i just like the bottle, even tho it's made in china
6d668b611f7dd5f6f28ec781488b864d.png

while i do not believe this soy will work with yakisoba, it is a different rich soy, use sparringly and for cooking no dipping
62a4ec8f512e871b6d62003787264a22.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users