Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
"All Oyster Sauces taste the same"

Change my mind! LOL
no,

i have hated having lived in kansas,
however
when i find out you have expired, it will be the one and only time i travel back to kci, i will find your tombstone and pour walmart soy sauce over it.
c715f5a780012edd8caf8d56faa0dcce.png

this will be your thug life 40 sendoff

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah. And a kid for child labor. First ingredient was oyster extractatives so hoping it's better than what we were finding in the regular grocery store.
every serious chinese restaurant uses lee kum ke, you can recognize it now
5ca66a8c15dbd483979a7c760140af26.jpg

i don't use the lady boat, i use the panda non premium, not for any reason beyond, i've used the panda my whole life

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've got the Wok Mei oyster sauce. I'm not sure I could tell a difference between brands because I throw so much other shit into marinades. There's almost always oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar. All sorts of shit that dilutes it to the point that I really don't think I could tell a difference.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've got the Wok Mei oyster sauce. I'm not sure I could tell a difference between brands because I throw so much other shit into marinades. There's almost always oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar. All sorts of shit that dilutes it to the point that I really don't think I could tell a difference.
how do you live in chinatown and end up buying whole foods oyster sauce?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
how do you live in chinatown and end up buying whole foods oyster sauce?

Because I have a bougie market that's even closer that sells all the quality goods in one spot and I don't have to make separate trips.

Though I do go to Vietnamese/Thai markets because that's the only place you can find kaffir lime leaves. And Hispanic markets for a couple things (like aji amarillo). But Asian shit is easy to find everywhere here. Maybe I'll hit up the Chinatown markets for galangal but that's about it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I will say that everyone should do the Soy Sauce challenge.

Buy a bottle of kikomans or walmart soy sauce and a bottle of Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce. The flavor difference and quality is very noticeable. I'm not usually the kind of person to care about this kind of thing but the soy sauce challenge made me realize why Lee Kum Kee is better.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wing prices are crazy, usually it's 4.99/lb

today i found 2 mislabeled ones for 1.69/lb, had to do a double take... didn't even feel like making wings tonight (i just cleaned my oil)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I will say that everyone should do the Soy Sauce challenge.

Buy a bottle of kikomans or walmart soy sauce and a bottle of Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce. The flavor difference and quality is very noticeable. I'm not usually the kind of person to care about this kind of thing but the soy sauce challenge made me realize why Lee Kum Kee is better.

I get so overwhelmed when I go to an Asian market and there's an entire fucking aisle dedicated to soy and fish sauces. I have no clue where to even start or how to judge that many options. Especially with fish sauce where a bottle can last me damn near six months.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I get so overwhelmed when I go to an Asian market and there's an entire fucking aisle dedicated to soy and fish sauces. I have no clue where to even start or how to judge that many options. Especially with fish sauce where a bottle can last me damn near six months.
just ask Lanx?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Kind of a weird intro for your beef company, but ok

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Kind of a weird intro for your beef company, but ok

Hmm “we pride ourselves on lacing up our boot straps”. How does one lace up boot straps exactly?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like bull shit try-hard marketing. Might be true, but comes off as douchey.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Temperature dropped here over the weekend and we got a ton of rain. Figured I'd make something a little more rib sticking, tried to clean out the freezer and use up stuff we had in the fridge.

Ended up making Coq au Vin. Turned out good other than my Dutch oven wasn't big enough (need to get one of the big elliptical style ones), so the gravy reduced a little more, and I didn't have as much of a sauce. We're heating it up again this evening though with a little bit more wine and chicken stock that should fix the problem.

Just some leftover mashed potatoes out of the freezer from Thanksgiving as the starch, reconstituted with some steamed Yukon Gold to give it some more body.

I think after the leftovers though we're going to have more gravy then meat, so I figured I'll freeze that and use it with hamburger steaks or meatballs for a quick and easy meal.

IMG_20211218_185530059.jpg
IMG_20211218_202747522.jpg

IMG_20211218_203020536.jpg
IMG_20211218_203357729.jpg

IMG_20211218_225057317.jpg

IMG_20211218_225612193~2.jpg

• 6Like
  • 3Quality Calories
Reactions: 8 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I made lomo saltado last night using tamari instead of soy and holy shit I was amazed at the difference. Going to be using that moving forward. And I might start using that instead in other dishes as well.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Here's a question for any of you with a deep freeze. What's the longest you'll typically keep and use vacuum sealed meat? If you go online they say 4 to 6 months on most things, but I've kept items longer than that and occasionally I might get something that tastes a little off like it's been in the freezer for a long time, but as long as it was fresh when it went in and I got a good seal, I can push it to a year maybe.

Reason I ask is I found a couple of things I had buried in the bottom of my freezer, and I'm over a date where I feel comfortable using it for a meal. Tempted just a thaw and see, and that's more than likely what I'll end up doing. Obviously if it's thawed and smells off into the garbage it goes.

Just wondered what everybody's typical experiences are with shit they've got tucked away for a rainy day.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Made traditional Ossobuco tonight. Cooked it for four hours. Venison shanks. It came out amazing. When the marrow cooks with the meat the taste is so creamy and smooth and delicious. Made fried mashed potato cakes to put under the meat and sauce. If you've never had it, find somewhere that serves it.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Here's a question for any of you with a deep freeze. What's the longest you'll typically keep and use vacuum sealed meat? If you go online they say 4 to 6 months on most things, but I've kept items longer than that and occasionally I might get something that tastes a little off like it's been in the freezer for a long time, but as long as it was fresh when it went in and I got a good seal, I can push it to a year maybe.

Reason I ask is I found a couple of things I had buried in the bottom of my freezer, and I'm over a date where I feel comfortable using it for a meal. Tempted just a thaw and see, and that's more than likely what I'll end up doing. Obviously if it's thawed and smells off into the garbage it goes.

Just wondered what everybody's typical experiences are with shit they've got tucked away for a rainy day.

Did some freezer shuffling just this week to defrost my upright freezer. Found a beef roast from July 2020. Vacuum sealed but looked a tad frosty, so thought maybe the seal broke. Thawed and it looked/smelled fine. Did it sous vide and it was one of the best beef roasts I've made. Shrug.

Defrosting a giant upright Montgomery Ward freezer from the 80's ( maybe 70's sheet) with 4 inches of ice on the top shelf was a chore, but found the temp adjust and now that it's cleared out it's a solid -5 to 0 again (was getting up to 15).

My chest freezer broke, but my mom left me an old commercial ice cream freezer that's just been in my shop for the last 3 years. Used that as a temp freezer, but holy shit, that thing got so cold it wouldn't register on the thermometer. Had to get my temp gun, thing was running at -30 on coldest. So, will be nice having that as a blast freezer (fan rattles like a mofo so only good for short term use).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users