Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
As long as it's not freezer burned, it's fine. I've eaten 2 and 3 year old meat out of the freezer plenty of times. As long as it stays sealed, it doesn't go downhill at all IMO.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
As long as it's not freezer burned, it's fine. I've eaten 2 and 3 year old meat out of the freezer plenty of times. As long as it stays sealed, it doesn't go downhill at all IMO.
Good deal. I've got some quail that got lost in the shuffle and wanted to add it to Christmas dinner. I don't remember when I put it in, but I might be a year and a half old. I just get leery of those types of things.

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas. Hope everybody's making something delicious.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Prime rib is always a crowd pleaser. Melted butter + spice rub.

8B4389C3-00B2-44B3-9F22-0231F4684870.jpeg

• 2Quality Calories
  • 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Question for anyone familiar with Ghee. I've got a sealed jar of it here and the base of the jar has this brown discoloration. Is that normal or has it gone bad? It's been in the cabinet for a while and is a couple months past the sell-by date. Given that it's sealed and not far off from the date, I'm hoping it's still good and the discoloration is just normal settling of some sort. If it really has gone bad, I'll throw it out obviously.

20211225_121338.jpg

20211225_121345.jpg

20211225_121357.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Question for anyone familiar with Ghee. I've got a sealed jar of it here and the base of the jar has this brown discoloration. Is that normal or has it gone bad? It's been in the cabinet for a while and is a couple months past the sell-by date. Given that it's sealed and not far off from the date, I'm hoping it's still good and the discoloration is just normal settling of some sort. If it really has gone bad, I'll throw it out obviously.

View attachment 389779
View attachment 389780
View attachment 389781
Ghee lasts an extremely long time. It's fine.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Strange. I had some pink salt ghee that separated similarly, with patches of visible salt. Tossed it out, but wonder if you can warm and remix it. Or if keeping it refrigerated would keep it from separating.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm gonna use the ghee for buttering steaks. Been using regular butter for a bit now, so now I can stop buying it and use ghee instead. I have about 1 ribeye a week, sometimes 2, sometimes filet mignon or top sirloin. I get them from Omaha Steaks in big orders every few months, in addition to sometimes just getting ribeyes at the store. Ribeye really is the best for the price IMO.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea im gonna make my own tallow from brosket trimmings when i get back. Strickly for old skoll mcdee fries

No idea oh ghee tho, hows rhatprocess?

• 1Worf

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Strange. I had some pink salt ghee that separated similarly, with patches of visible salt. Tossed it out, but wonder if you can warm and remix it. Or if keeping it refrigerated would keep it from separating.
the additives may have separated, but since ghee has all the milk fats removed, it is basically the same as any oil (very similar to coconut oil). You probably could have mixed them back in.

You can tell when Ghee has gone bad cause it will actively smell rancid. Well, allegedly, I've never had it happen, but it shouldnt happen for at least a 6 months to a year past the date on the jar, and really only if opened. Assuming it was stored properly, anyway (again, like you would store any other oil, out of direct sun, not too hot, etc)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
new years, one text my wife gets

"what kind of oil does lanx use"?

i'm like???

it's not about the oil, it's about the cooking method, are we stir frying? baking? are we using shit like teflon?

i'm like you want to be healthy? maybe you find new ways of cooking and ingredients, we're both asian but we've cut down our rice intake by many literal pounds of rice, we don't want the beetus...

i go through all this and then i just ask out of the blue

wtf kind of oil is "she" using then, to ask that weird ass question?

answer:
avocado oil

oh i can't help that bitch, she's too far gone w/ that fufu shit

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is gonna sound dumb but I need suggestions for ways to cook assorted chicken pieces. Ordered a beef bundle from the butcher a couple months ago and it came with some cut up and bagged chickens, and I thawed one out just to sorta see what I was dealing with. In the past I've always cooked multiples of the same piece (breasts, thighs, etc) so I'm at a little bit of a loss. And before anyone says the obvious, no I don't have a deep fryer or I wouldn't be asking for suggestions.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Got a crock pot or pressure cooker? Look up a basic pulled chicken bbq recipe. Toss the pieces in whole, after 45 minutes in a pressure cooker or a few hours in a crock pot the meat will just fall right off the bone.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Cut up in pieces is actually the best way to cook a whole chicken because you can pull pieces out sooner or later depending on their size. Real southern fried chicken is made in a cast iron skillet btw.

• 4Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Not sure what tools are available, but sous vide makes it easy to get variable pieces of meat to the same temp. Similar idea behind slow cooking or braising where it's all only ever going to get so hot, so harder to overcook and dry pieces out like in an oven.

Can do curry, chilli, stew type of dishes with whole pieces in a deep pan or dutch oven (for extra space and a heavy/tight lid). Removing meat from bones after, or serve the chicken on its own, and the rest over rice or whatever.

Depends a lot on tools and ingredients available and what kind of food one likes, but I'm sure people could find or make up some specific recipes with more info.

• 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are very few cultures on this earth that don't eat some form of a bird stewed in something. So on top of all the tasty tasty breaded and (deep) fried bird only cooks, you have nearly any sauce or flavor profile you want.

Figure out where you want to go with this meal and that'll inform what you put in the pot with the bird.

Most of those recipes will follow the same stewed meat outline: med-high heat and frequent turning the meat to put some color on it/build fond/maillard reaction, add stuff, cover, simmer, serve.

• 1Like