Gravy's Cooking Thread

Neph_sl

shitlord
I always take thick meat out of the fridge a little bit before I cook it. Rinse it in cold water, dry it off with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, and then let it sit for 20 min to get closer to room temp and bring the juices out. Slap it on a hot cast iron pan with a little canola and you're good to go.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It is still dangerous. The heat does nothing o the toxins that the bacteria release. or so Mr. Brown says, and as you know, he is all that is man.

But yeah, I often set food out to thaw. I know it is wrong, I know why, but I still do it. That was how it was done when I was growing up and I have never gotten my family sick once. The only time I have ever cooked anything that got us sick was an apple pie. How the fuck that happened I will never know. I try to be right and put it under water but I often revert back to the old habit.
You won't find a bigger disciple of Mr. Brown than me, but he is a huge pussy when it comes to dealing with chicken. I routinely ignore all safe chicken handling guidelines and have never gotten sick. I follow my Mother's lead and she leaves things out even over night sometimes. I have not gone this far, but as long as it still feels cool to the touch it's fine, and if it's something like a chicken breast, as long as it's cooked well done on the outside, it's probably fine. You need to worry more about hamburger because the bacteria can get into the middle of it, unlike a steak, but even still, that is what my Mom leaves out overnight sometimes and we have never had an issue with it. YMMV but I typically behave with reckless abandon with regard to food safety and have never had to pay the price for it.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My mother-in-law is the same way, leaves stuff out all the time. Though generally it's fish, sometimes marinating beef. Soup also often gets left out in the original pot for a couple days (but it's brought to a boil before serving again). I, nor anyone else that I'm aware of has gotten sick though. *shrug*

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've been meaning to mention Epicurious.com in this thread. Great recipe site if you want the "fancy" version of things. Unlike some sites where anyone can put up a recipe, theirs are all from cooking magazines and have most likely been tested by people who know what they are doing.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'd like to make meatballs tonight, and I'm bored with my own recipes. Anyone have a good recipe for meatballs? I have 100% grass fed, lean beef, and can pair the balls with potatoes, pasta, rice, or whatever.

C'mon, people. Tell me about your balls! Er...your meatballs, that is.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Asian people?
God, this. My in-laws are Chinese and there's always some kind of meat or other sitting out thawing or waiting to be cooked, sometimes hours in advance. They put raw shrimp in the sink to thaw and then wash vegetables in it. Drives my cleanliness OCD off a cliff, but no one ever seems to get sick. Of course, they cook everything on a nuclear furnace and won't even look at meat that isn't cooked into shoe leather.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I was under the impression from reading, and personal observation, that rinsing meat off with water removes flavor. It is better, IMO, to just let it rest till room temperature and then pat dry if any juices are all over, then cook it. I usually cook my steaks for about 2.5-3 minutes per side and they turn out great. After the first minute on side 2, i put a few tablespoons of butter in with some rosemary sprigs and crushed garlic, then ladle the butter over the steak as it cooks.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am looking for a good BBQ sauce recipe or a great BBQ sauce from a jar. Any recommendations?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I am looking for a good BBQ sauce recipe or a great BBQ sauce from a jar. Any recommendations?
This is a ketchup based saws that takes no time at all to make. I think it's decent.
tongue.png

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesauc...r/bl91211c.htm

This is a rich, thick, tomato based barbecue sauce recipe often associated these days as Kansas City Style. You get that traditional combination of sweet with a touch of heat in a dark and thick tomato sauce. Adjust the heat by changing the amount of cayenne.
Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cayenne
Preparation:

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add garlic and saut? until brown. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Rufus Teague makes the best jarred BBQ sauce I have ever had. Grab the blazin' hot. It's not actually that hot and is definitely the best of the bunch.

001.JPG

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
What kind of sauce do you like? Spicy? Sweet?
I am not so big on spicey, I just like sauce with a lot of flavor. Mesquite, or bourbon sauces, to regular BBQ.

I am gonna check out your sauce Adebisi and probably pick up a jar of the stuff Ichu mentioned.