Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Buy a bottle of Sriracha sauce and put it on everything. Eggs, pizza, stews, etc.

41C5BVTjoFL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
Then hate the mention of it a few months later. It's really easy to overdo it with Sriracha. Plus, it's not that hot.

Some of my favorite spicy foods are soups or stews with some habanero hot sauce stirred in. Minestrone, chile, beef stew, lentil soup, all taste better with some relatively flavor-neutral heat.

Neph_sl

shitlord
So I got a pressure cooker for Christmas and took it for a spin this weekend by cooking a pot roast. 45 minutes on the stovetop vs 3 hours in the oven. Love it.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
This is so simple it's almost not worth posting, but I was trying to dress up some leftover pork shoulder last night and I found a very simple taco topping that adds a great crunch. Just chop up some red cabbage, add a teaspoon of red wine vinegar and a little salt and pepper to taste. Toss to get a good mix, and throw it on top of a taco like a poor man's coleslaw. It's pretty great.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone have any good recipes for pork chops?
I do pork chops a lot like the steak method that was linked earlier. I like to season them with lemon pepper. Put equal parts butter and oil in a pan (preferably cast iron) and heat it until the butter starts to smoke and throw in the chops and don't move them for 2-3 minutes depending on how thick they are so you get a nice crust on them. Then flip them over, stick in your meat thermometer and pull them when they get to like 150.

Alton Brown says you should brine pork chops like you would a turkey. Haven't tried it but I bet it's a good idea.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
That's cool, I haven't heard of that. We have a family story we always tell on my Mom because she was making chili one time and the shaker top came off the garlic salt and dumped half the canister in there. She scooped it out and served it anyway but it was totally inedible. She later fed it to the chickens and 4 of them died because apparently they can't handle salt. To this day we give her hell about feeding us death chili.
Oh boy. Go to one dinner with my family and you are SURE to hear the story of the time my mom went to pepper the soup and the lid of the thingy came off. She served it. We all ate it. Everyone said it wasn't that bad and that they really like the taste of pepper anyway. I was all like 'Mom that shit was terrible' and she was all like, 'Yeah I know, right?'. She's a true cook. Over peppered soup is over peppered soup. To avoid this pitfall in the future, one should look to secure the lid to one's spices. Laughs were had, lessons were learned....at least between us. The rest of the family still mourns that night like a death in the family. That soup didn'tdie, itpassed away in its sleep while dreaming about unicorns.

As to the Teaching Company cooking DVDs, I agree. It is a smattering of great tips found when normally Rachel Ray would be breaking for commercial. I've already made my normal saute chicken better by managing the fire a bit more diligently.

Fun stuff. Still learning.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
An easy to make spicy food is stir fry. Get the red pepper flakes and put them in the oil as it heats up and then add your meat and veggies when the wok/pan is good and hot. The more flakes you put in, the hotter it will be. You can also put some of the aforementioned siracha on at the end once the stuff is cooked.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Since one of the parts I look forward to when going to a Mediterranean restaurant is rice , I decided to finally try my hand at making authentic pilaf. It came pretty good though I didn't soak the rice long enough and used too much butter during the toasting. Can't wait to make it again and fix my initial mistakes. Never realized how easy it is to make.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
So for xmas I got a set of stainless steel cookware, so I got to trash all my old crappy Tfal I'd been using for the past 8 or so years
biggrin.png
I also got a beauty nonstick pan... you should see the eggs slide on this thing.

It's going to be a good cooking year.

You should do the wings on the BGE! I did some a few months back. They were cooked perfectly, but the rub I used was too salty. I'll be more careful with my rub next time.
Try this rub next time, I have been using it for awhile and love it.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com

And if you really want to kick it up a notch:

http://www.texaspepperjelly.com

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Anybody having a superbowl party this year?

I think I'm going to do baby back ribs this year. I will probably smoke them in the Big Green Egg the night before, then reheat them in the oven on Sunday. I will also have hot wings using theAlton Brown methodand sliders. I make the sliders using potato dinner rolls. Not sure why but these are the best damn hamburgers I eat all year. I usually break out the oil and deep fry something for the SB but I think I'm going to save the mess this year.
If I were you, I would just grill the baby back ribs. I can get the same flavors from grilling and smoking on baby backs.
If you want some good smoked ribs, buy spare ribs and smoke those. Spare ribs are made for smoking, baby backs for grilling. Just my 2c.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm keepin git easy this year for the Superbowl, a friend of mine is throwing the party this year instead of me so I'm making pulled pork in the slow cooker, it'll cook in it for like 18-20 hours...my whole place is going to smell awesome.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
So, I'm a total beginner as will be soon obvious but I have a question. I thawed the chicken in the fridge for 24 hours but it's still frozen in the middle. Can I let it sit out for a bit in room temperature or is that going to give me herpa-sypha-gonnah-flu-aids?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You shouldn't keep your fridge temperature so cold.

Nothing wrong with leaving it sitting in room temperature for a bit as long as it's still packaged/covered.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Right on.

Didn't occur to me that the fridge may be too cold. Seems to work okay... In any case, it's not my fridge to alter. My roommates are also my landlords. It's their world. I might talk to them but I doubt they give a shit about my chicken.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I'm a total beginner as will be soon obvious but I have a question. I thawed the chicken in the fridge for 24 hours but it's still frozen in the middle. Can I let it sit out for a bit in room temperature or is that going to give me herpa-sypha-gonnah-flu-aids?
It's ok to do this for a bit. If it's still a bit frozen, and you need it now, or soonish, just run what your thawing under cold water in the package. ( Note package must be 100% sealed, or you could get the Aids)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How's the chicken packaged? Soak it in the sink for an hour in cold water, thawed chicken!

Or, if you cook it to the proper temperature, why are you worried about how long it sits out?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It is still dangerous. The heat does nothing o the toxins that the bacteria release. or so Mr. Brown says, and as you know, he is all that is man.

But yeah, I often set food out to thaw. I know it is wrong, I know why, but I still do it. That was how it was done when I was growing up and I have never gotten my family sick once. The only time I have ever cooked anything that got us sick was an apple pie. How the fuck that happened I will never know. I try to be right and put it under water but I often revert back to the old habit.