Gravy's Cooking Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I heard a podcast about this and it turns out that the rotisserie chickens are a different breed of chicken than the frozen ones and usually weigh only 2-3 lbs where the frozen birds are usually around 5. Pretty sneaky.

Eh, it's not really that sneaky. There are broilers, fryers and roasters when talking about whole chickens. The roasters are the big ones you're talking about, and I don't think anyone would confuse a roaster with what you get when you buy a rotisserie chicken. They are closer to the broilers or fryers in size and those are still only marginally less expensive than the rotisserie cooked birds.

The ones at Costco specifically are a decent amount bigger than the ones at local grocery chains. And Costco specifically has stated theirs are big loss leaders

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Porchetta prepped and dry brining. Got it made yesterday, and planning on roasting Sunday, but heavy pressure to cook it tomorrow. I prefer to dry brine it at least for 3 days, but tomorrow will be close enough based on how it's looking in the fridge. Haven't made one in over a year and I'm excited as hell. One of my favorite things eating growing up and the having holidays with my family. Really loaded up on the fennel, which I prefer. Was a pretty big Boston butt, and should provide plenty for reinventing leftovers.

IMG_20220414_144851798~2.jpg

IMG_20220414_150218100~2.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Porchetta prepped and dry brining. Got it made yesterday, and planning on roasting Sunday, but heavy pressure to cook it tomorrow. I prefer to dry brine it at least for 3 days, but tomorrow will be close enough based on how it's looking in the fridge. Haven't made one in over a year and I'm excited as hell. One of my favorite things eating growing up and the having holidays with my family. Really loaded up on the fennel, which I prefer. Was a pretty big Boston butt, and should provide plenty for reinventing leftovers.

View attachment 408226
View attachment 408227
jesus. I bet you're one of Those People who like Black licorice too? Why stop at the fennel? Braize it in Ouzo! finish dinner with some grey ice cream!

licorice-ice-cream.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 408226
View attachment 408227

I'm free after the marker street car show tomorrow, just let me know when to come over with the beer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
jesus. I bet you're one of Those People who like Black licorice too? Why stop at the fennel? Braize it in Ouzo! finish dinner with some grey ice cream!

licorice-ice-cream.jpg
I'm no Foler Foler , but I don't mind black licorice.

You be surprised though, it's not a licorice taste when combined with the pork. The wet rub has garlic, lemon zest, Rosemary, sage, thyme, and lots of salt and pepper. I also put red chili flakes in just for a little bit of spice. Part of the times I'll use some smoked paprika, but I didn't realize I was out. Ended up using some smoked salt but I had this time, along with smoked black peppercorns.

The most important ingredient is the fennel pollen. It's not a licorice flavor whatsoever but just this herbal flavor of fennel. It's very savory.

When you have all that pork fat, salt, and herbs that render down, it really creates an amazing combination of flavors specifically with the sweetness of the pork. With the spice of the black pepper and either Cayenne or red pepper flake, and the lemon zest, you got a really good balance.

I typically do roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and some sort of white bean salad, and a very vinegary slaw of bitter greens.

Planning on making a batch of baked macaroni and cheese though because that that was so traditional item for Easter growing up. We've always used a recipe from Jack Dempsey's and the ninth ward in New Orleans. Still my favorite recipe today and I don't typically follow recipes very often.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Fennel tastes of licorice but very mildly. With such a fatty piece of meat that much fennel probably plays very well to cut through the heaviness of the pork

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Brad2770

62 days dry aged. Still need to cut into second roast. I got 10 steaks at an inch and a half from the first toast. Cutting thinner steaks on the second. The smell on this thing is amazing. I can’t even.

I know it doesn’t look professional cut. I’m not a professional. I tried to save as much as I could while also removing the pellicle.

D8B61D8F-BDAB-4563-A2AD-FD1DD86C19FD.jpeg
C6D42B1C-1A82-4F4A-862F-18D9D9E21102.jpeg
2E7677F1-1AE6-45EC-BF43-A33AE67BB59E.jpeg

• 4Like
  • 2Quality Calories
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Ossobuco has been cooking for 2 hours already, it's going to be a good Easter meal. Also doing polenta, green beans, and a huge ceasar salad. Crème Brulee for dessert. Home made bread on the side. I'm mildly erect thinking about the food.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Ossobuco has been cooking for 2 hours already, it's going to be a good Easter meal. Also doing polenta, green beans, and a huge ceasar salad. Crème Brulee for dessert. Home made bread on the side. I'm mildly erect thinking about the food.
Post pics or it didn't happen!

In all honesty that sounds like a wonderful Easter afternoon meal. Enjoy...

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Post pics or it didn't happen!

In all honesty that sounds like a wonderful Easter afternoon meal. Enjoy...

Didn't take pictures, but I should have. Everyone had a bone in the middle, polenta around, and that was swimming in the cooking liquids. So luxurious.

• 1Like

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Heh tried to make limeaid. Came out horribly. Many limes died for my foolishness.

Bought some simply Limeaid from store. I am a broken man.

unknown.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Didn't take pictures, but I should have. Everyone had a bone in the middle, polenta around, and that was swimming in the cooking liquids. So luxurious.
What type of wine did you end up using, and what was the cut of beef? Did you use oxtails or short ribs?

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just wanted some limeaid. tastes like spring to me. 1st store I went to didnt have any so tried to make some. After horrible failed attempt went to another store and got some.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
does anyone here r/w Japanese? I'm trying to identify the manufacturer of some knives I saw in a YT vid, mainly the one on the left.

knifemoon3.png
knifemoon4.png

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Porchetta turned out great. Made roasted garlic mashed potatoes, white bean salad, and caprese. Just got to pick up some good hard rolls to make sandwiches with the leftovers now.

IMG_20220417_171836537_HDR~4.jpg
IMG_20220417_193128505_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220417_193936393~3.jpg

• 4Like
  • 3Quality Calories
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users