Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
there are different methods beyond just throwing it down? lulz can you just link the method you like then, ha
He tried different things like injecting tallow, basting it on before the wrap, shit like that.

It's been a while since I watched him but I think he found he got the best results by actually smoking the tallow in a foil tray while the brisket was going. Apply that at the wrap phase, and he felt he got a much stronger smoke flavor on a brisket. I can't remember what cooker he did it on though. It was literally months ago when he did that whole experimental deal.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Guga was good at first, but then he ran out of legit stuff to do so now it's all crazy 'what if we soak steak in root beer' type shit.
Yeah I honestly pay more attention when he makes sides/appetizers than I do to whatever his experiment is. He did this thing where he tossed some chunks of round into a food processor then added dried diced shallots, garlic paste, gochujang, red miso, and then after frying that up used it as part of the topping for polenta slices. Looked incredible.

Although the more I watch his videos, the more his ending every verbal pause on an upward inflection drives me crazy.

Last edited:

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
He tried different things like injecting tallow, basting it on before the wrap, shit like that.

It's been a while since I watched him but I think he found he got the best results by actually smoking the tallow in a foil tray while the brisket was going. Apply that at the wrap phase, and he felt he got a much stronger smoke flavor on a brisket. I can't remember what cooker he did it on though. It was literally months ago when he did that whole experimental deal.
i wrap and bring inside to the oven tho

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Chef John and Sam the Cooking Guy at my main YouTube chef channels but Guga's stuff can be OK for sous vide. At least his old school content. I also like Gordon Ramsey's stuff because it's in a regular ol kitchen and he showcases a lot of full meals with side dishes and stuff and how to time everything to be done at the same time. No edits or cuts. Just the dude working in the kitchen for 10-20 minutes.

For Thai food I really like Pailin's Kitchen. Haven't been disappointed by any of her recipes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
Chef John and Sam the Cooking Guy at my main YouTube chef channels but Guga's stuff can be OK for sous vide. At least his old school content. I also like Gordon Ramsey's stuff because it's in a regular ol kitchen and he showcases a lot of full meals with side dishes and stuff and how to time everything to be done at the same time. No edits or cuts. Just the dude working in the kitchen for 10-20 minutes.

For Thai food I really like Pailin's Kitchen. Haven't been disappointed by any of her recipes.

I love both. Check out Sip and Feast for italian focus.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
time for another round of NameThatIngredient!
Alt title: Don't show your little italian nonna

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
First time cooking prime rib on the smoker, came out fucking amazing

PXL_20220506_212334687.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Actually for whatever reason I have seen rib roast at my local kroger now a few times this year for like $7/lb. you get a whole damn slab like 10" -13" in long for like $70-$100. I got one, and sliced steaks from it last time. Kept rib bones for soup. Got like 10 steaks about 1" from the thing, we ate like kings for a few days. All for the price of eating out once for all of us if that.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Goddamn you slippery slippery , now I want rib roast.

Looks like a great, simple and delicious meal.
I was nervous about it, because with Prime Rib you have expectations, but the 6 pound roast I just seasoned with Worcestershire, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano. Took 3 hours in the smoker at 275 and took it out at 125, rested for 40 minutes. Great flavor, super juicy. Was $10 a pound at Publix.

I'll definitely be doing it again, likely for most major holidays. And maybe a few other times just because.

• 3Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Actually for whatever reason I have seen rib roast at my local kroger now a few times this year for like $7/lb. you get a whole damn slab like 10" -13" in long for like $70-$100. I got one, and sliced steaks from it last time. Kept rib bones for soup. Got like 10 steaks about 1" from the thing, we ate like kings for a few days. All for the price of eating out once for all of us if that.

I came home with a rib roast that was about $80 and my wife freaked out. I reminded her how much it costs when all 7 of us go out for dinner, and she got it immediately. Plus my steaks are better than the ones I get at whatever restaurant I go to. And the wine is cheaper.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I was nervous about it, because with Prime Rib you have expectations, but the 6 pound roast I just seasoned with Worcestershire, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano. Took 3 hours in the smoker at 275 and took it out at 125, rested for 40 minutes. Great flavor, super juicy. Was $10 a pound at Publix.

I'll definitely be doing it again, likely for most major holidays. And maybe a few other times just because.

Did you smoke it covered or uncovered?

Did you rest it covered or uncovered?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So I'm getting a cast iron skillet, because I've never had one. After seasoning it I'm going to cook some bacon. My other thought is I want to try making a pizza in it.

Anything really stand out cooked in cast iron?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user