Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Okay faggots. Especially Lanx Lanx

Recommend me a solid deep fryer.

My heart is ready.
for me, finding a good deep fryer was mostly about cleanup

for instance i hate these deep fryers w/ these exposed elements where you have to clean
9007794898500276d611624713b4c166.png

theres all these nooks and crannies where they merge and the sponge just gets caught on it, i hate it. currently i have to deal with it for my turkey fryer, but thats a twice use fryer a year at most.

also if your nose is sensitive and you hate the frying "smell" then you have look for one w/ a carbon filter at the vent

for those two reasons i got the cool daddy
f6c01a1bae1abb45b58e529002597a11.png

Presto 05442 CoolDaddy Cool-touch Deep Fryer - Black

and i'm happy with it, the lid is a bit flimsy, imo but it works fine, it's not like i'm gonna hulk smash and lift the lid

if easy oil filtration is more your want, then the tfal handles that

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
for me, finding a good deep fryer was mostly about cleanup

for instance i hate these deep fryers w/ these exposed elements where you have to clean
9007794898500276d611624713b4c166.png

theres all these nooks and crannies where they merge and the sponge just gets caught on it, i hate it. currently i have to deal with it for my turkey fryer, but thats a twice use fryer a year at most.

also if your nose is sensitive and you hate the frying "smell" then you have look for one w/ a carbon filter at the vent

for those two reasons i got the cool daddy
f6c01a1bae1abb45b58e529002597a11.png

Presto 05442 CoolDaddy Cool-touch Deep Fryer - Black

and i'm happy with it, the lid is a bit flimsy, imo but it works fine, it's not like i'm gonna hulk smash and lift the lid

if easy oil filtration is more your want, then the tfal handles that
You can clean the elements by heating them up while empty and spraying them with easy off, but only heat them to 160-200. Or get a generic caustic, mix with water, and do a boil out

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Fancy mofos. I just use my induction single burner. Then I can customize the size of the pot to the job. Cleanup is easy because it's just wipe down, filter oil, clean pot. Keeps oil temps high enough have to modify some recipes and times that expect the oil to drop a lot, but that's a benefit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
after my last brisket on monday i took all my fat trimmings (probably 8lbs worth?) and made beef tallow

i just dumped it all in an instapot and pressure cooked it. strained w/ a coffee filter and got 1 and 1/2 prego bottles of beef tallow. note if youre doing this your gonna have to pour out the water that settles on the bottom once it solidifies and turns white (otherwise i'd have 2+ prego bottles, but you want to pour out the water to prevent spoilage)

this will be exclusively for french fries, idk what else i'd use it for

We just butchered our Mangalitsa pigs and had them save all the fat so we need to have a lard experiment.

I had a deep fryer and it was frustrating to me how small and inflexible it was. Now I just use my wok or a big pot on top of the stove and put a thermometer in there to watch the temp. Lanx Lanx is the one that tipped me off on it but those gold reusable coffee filters are the shit for filtering the oil after you use it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Okay faggots. Especially Lanx Lanx

My heart is ready.
LOL go to wallmart and buy a 1800w $50 fryer, one basket. Then after like a year or two when the shit gets all filthy with oil residue all over the place just throw it out and get a new one. The one basket fryer I got was even less than $50 I think it was actually like $40. I dont bother filtering oil or whatever, thats dumb. Just use until oil gets brownish, then dispose and get new oil. I can get about 4-5 fry out of an oil. I find the Kroger 1 gallong jugs of oil to be perfect. The fryer uses like 3/4? of one. Save the jugs to dispose of the old brown shit. I take it to my cabin and use the old oil as an aid to start bonfires with it, especialkly if its damp and wet out.

The fryers work well but you will have to fry shit twice to make it crispy. 1800w is just not hot enough to keep the temp where it needs to be. Take for example some frozen fries, I fry them initially 4-5 min depending on size. Then take them out, wait for fryer to heat back up and then fry them again for like 1-2 min to make crispy. If its from fresh potatoes, I usually soak the potato in water, like you should for a few hours, dry them as best as possible and then triple fry them. Like 3 min then 2 min and then final fry for like 1-2 min.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If I'm ever rich and building myself a house I wouldn't go crazy on it but I would think about having a restaurant level deep fryer in the kitchen. That would be pretty sweet.

• 3Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If I'm ever rich and building myself a house I wouldn't go crazy on it but I would think about having a restaurant level deep fryer in the kitchen. That would be pretty sweet.

While I was redoing my kitchen I thought about this too, but I didn't want to have to put in an industrial hood to keep the smell out of the rest of the house.

I did make myself a spot beside my stove where I can unlatch a small portion of my counter to reveal my sous vide tank. It's directly below my pot filling tap, and I love it.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider

As someone who did 10 years time in a fast food restaurant those things aren't worth the hassle. Cleaning them is the biggest pain in the ass. Don't even get me started on changing/filtering the oil.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
As someone who did 10 years time in a fast food restaurant those things aren't worth the hassle. Cleaning them is the biggest pain in the ass. Don't even get me started on changing/filtering the oil.

Yeah it would have to be a situation where someone else has to clean it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Commercial fryers benefit volume and sperate fry oil more than anything. If building a kitchen, probably better to have a home use fryer but maybe with dedicated spot to support it over a huge, high volume unit unless doing high volume frying.

My plan is a spot for frying and/or an indoor gas grill where the current cooktop is along the wall. New larger cooktop moved to the island. Fans over both. Commercial grade ventilation is my goal as imo it's never overkill if set up right and doesn't have to be jet engine loud unless needed.

Have seen plenty of custom home kitchen that had overkill on appliances, most commonly huge 8 burner stoves that never got used. But rarely ever seen one that I felt had good enough ventilation.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Commercial fryers benefit volume and sperate fry oil more than anything. If building a kitchen, probably better to have a home use fryer but maybe with dedicated spot to support it over a huge, high volume unit unless doing high volume frying.

My plan is a spot for frying and/or an indoor gas grill where the current cooktop is along the wall. New larger cooktop moved to the island. Fans over both. Commercial grade ventilation is my goal as imo it's never overkill if set up right and doesn't have to be jet engine loud unless needed.

Have seen plenty of custom home kitchen that had overkill on appliances, most commonly huge 8 burner stoves that never got used. But rarely ever seen one that I felt had good enough ventilation.
Wouldn't it be simpler (and safer) to have a fryer be part of your grilling area outside? You could put an overlook or something over it to keep weather out/off, and you wouldn't have to worry about making the house smell like fried food for all eternity.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
1648465181097.png

Brutul with an industrial grade deep fryer in his fucking kitchen.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Wouldn't it be simpler (and safer) to have a fryer be part of your grilling area outside? You could put an overlook or something over it to keep weather out/off, and you wouldn't have to worry about making the house smell like fried food for all eternity.

I wouldn't say outdoor frying is inherently more safe. Probably less safe the way many do it hah. I wouldn't personally fry outside with kids, pets or a wife without some kind of built in unit or something. No way I'd fry with a single burner and open pot like I do in the kitchen now.

Currently have a regular shitty range hood fan and fry on the island and smell isn't too bad, especially not long term.

Going back and forth inside the house while smoking or grilling on my covered patio might create more indoor smell than just doing everything inside because I'm usually doing something else in the kitchen so the fan is on and sucking air through the house.

More comfortable leaving the smoker unattended, so might make a spot farther away for it or do it by the side door in the driveway. Everything else would rather just have more control and be able to attend to easier in one place in the kitchen with better ventilation fans set up.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah when we fry turkeys for Thanksgiving it's a full time job shooing dogs and kids away from the fryer.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Anyone got a good easy thin crust recipe? My regular pizza dough is on point, but I find myself preferring thin crust the more I get older. Smashing my dough flat as hell and precooking it a bit to make it crispier works pretty good. I guess I haven't tried broiling it and then flipping.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Made my first attempt at making oyakodon tonight. Didn’t turn out horribly like most of my first attempts do. Not the prettiest looking thing but pretty tasty. Thinking I should maybe try having the chicken in strips instead of small pieces next time and maybe it’ll look nicer.

416235CE-C8AD-4743-A301-4658E3D8AE28.jpeg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users