Gravy's Cooking Thread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
no real sales at my kroger for the usual memorial day bbq food

Brisket was $3.99 again around me. Still haven't made any from the last one I butchered (literally butchered, but also the negative connotation being only the second one I've done and it was pretty ragged).

Bought 4 more whole chickens, just have to decide if I want to freeze them whole or spatchcock them first and try to fit them into vacuum seal bags. Are delicious and cheap, but annoying to freeze I'm learning.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Brisket was $3.99 again around me. Still haven't made any from the last one I butchered (literally butchered, but also the negative connotation being only the second one I've done and it was pretty ragged).

Bought 4 more whole chickens, just have to decide if I want to freeze them whole or spatchcock them first and try to fit them into vacuum seal bags. Are delicious and cheap, but annoying to freeze I'm learning.
yea the chickens i get whole, i cut into 8s, also saves a bit of space in the chest freezer.

i was doing this cuz leg/thighs are usually always on sale, but you get that quarter part hipbone/spine so i've gotten used to just deboning that first when i buy em.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
no real sales at my kroger for the usual memorial day bbq food
HEB had choice ribeyes on sale for 6.77, and spare ribs, St Louis, and baby backs 3 and less.

Grabbed six decent looking steaks to throw in the freezer, and a rack of baby and a full spare rib. Going to do the baby backs and chicken legs tomorrow with traditional barbecue sides.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
HEB had choice ribeyes on sale for 6.77, and spare ribs, St Louis, and baby backs 3 and less.

Grabbed six decent looking steaks to throw in the freezer, and a rack of baby and a full spare rib. Going to do the baby backs and chicken legs tomorrow with traditional barbecue sides.
Good God.

If I saw choice ribeyes for 6.77 I would probably buy them the fuck out.

Bought my first brisket of the last 9 months at 3.99/lb for prime. That is more than twice what I paid for the last one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Good God.

Bought my first brisket of the last 9 months at 3.99/lb for prime. That is more than twice what I paid for the last one.
I hear ya. If there's a decent deal I'll typically buy quite a bit.

They ran the same deal month or two ago, and I bought six or eight steaks to throw in the freezer. I just culled through the stuff they had packaged and grabbed the best looking ones with the most cap meat.

We're definitely doing more chicken and pork, but those prices are getting retarded. At least if I want to steak night on the weekend I've got some reserves waiting. Just got to pace myself.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Good God.

yea last week i saw brisket for 3.99, i still have a few in the freezer that are from 2.99 but i figured 3.99 is now the new brisket sale to shoot for since biden flation

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We're definitely doing more chicken and pork, but those prices are getting retarded. At least if I want to steak night on the weekend I've got some reserves waiting. Just got to pace myself.
i guess here regionally in tn, pork is climbing to cow prices and like i said i used to buy whole chickens but chicken leg quarters are constantly on sale for 99c and i'm figuring its cuz of nashville wings and breasts for sandwiches

i try to talk to nashville reddit about it, but all they care about is RvW and marsha blackburn nra
i need a conservative nashville reddit lulz

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i guess here regionally in tn, pork is climbing to cow prices and like i said i used to buy whole chickens but chicken leg quarters are constantly on sale for 99c and i'm figuring its cuz of nashville wings and breasts for sandwiches

i try to talk to nashville reddit about it, but all they care about is RvW and marsha blackburn nra
Why do you consult Reddit for anything? FOH is the true way.

There's nothing wrong with buying leg quarters, though. That's typically what we always pick up, and it's cheap and a taste infinitely superior to breast meat. I do buy whole chickens when I can get them on sale, and either roast them whole for separate them out for different dishes. Just seems you can get a better price if you buy the dark meat, what you can make plenty of wonderful meals from.

I know beef is going through the roof, but it's annoying to see pork and chicken prices skyrocketing as much as they have, but then again let's go Brandon, so I'm not exactly shocked.

That's obviously whole other conversation that we all are familiar with.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why do you consult Reddit for anything? FOH is the true way.

There's nothing wrong with buying leg quarters, though. That's typically what we always pick up, and it's cheap and a taste infinitely superior to breast meat. I do buy whole chickens when I can get them on sale, and either roast them whole for separate them out for different dishes. Just seems you can get a better price if you buy the dark meat, what you can make plenty of wonderful meals from.

I know beef is going through the roof, but it's annoying to see pork and chicken prices skyrocketing as much as they have, but then again let's go Brandon, so I'm not exactly shocked.

That's obviously whole other conversation that we all are familiar with.
oh yea, i immensely prefer the dark meat, i was just saying that usually whole chickens would be the most economic per pound but theyre practically giving away leg quarters for 99c a pound. i mean i can easily butterfly a chicken thigh and make a panko patty out of it.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Ground turkey has pretty much reached the same price as ground beef up here. Fucking annoying but I guess it’s a good excuse to move back to beef.

• 1WTF
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Forgot to ask, what are the wing prices you're seeing? Here in Houston you're limited to two packages of wings, whether fresh or frozen, and they're pushing $10 a pound. The prices have skyrocketed, and the last time I saw something like this was when McDonald's decided to sell hot wings. Curious what a different portion of the country is experiencing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Forgot to ask, what are the wing prices you're seeing? Here in Houston you're limited to two packages of wings, whether fresh or frozen, and they're pushing $10 a pound. The prices have skyrocketed, and the last time I saw something like this was when McDonald's decided to sell hot wings. Curious what a different portion of the country is experiencing.
its gotten better actually, it's 4-5$ now from 7-8$ before

i don't actually buy chicken wings anymore (since i don't goto no pool parties no more, new state and covid stopped that), and the last time i bought 2 packages they were mislabed at like 1.19/lb or something heh

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I like the whole chickens for the organ meats I boil and give to the dog, then make gravy. And bones and bits to make a stock. Girlfriend likes breast meat if we're doing meat on the plate, still preferring dark meat for curry and the like. I like breast meat slices for cold sandwiches or chicken salad. And these days whole has always been the same price as parts, so just started getting the whole birds.

Gonna smoke one soon. Smoked chicken is one of my favorite things. Makes great chicken noodle soup, or chili or posole with leftovers. I mean I guess I could smoke chicken parts, but whole bird seems more natural.

Buying them in bulk is new for me and still just don't have a good freezer plan. Haven't figured out how to vacuum seal them well yet. I guess will just keep freezing them as is and hoping for the best long term.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage

You'd be lucky to even find wings in stock at any of my local grocers. Fresh or frozen. They just dont exist anymore apparently.

Also, about cheap "choice" steaks. I've stopped buying beef entirely. The last few times I bought on sale (7.99/lb porterhouse for instance) the steaks were fucking terrible. Barely edible. Like they came from dollar general. Even though they were labeled USDA choice. USDA Prime doesnt exist outside of high end restaurants anymore as far as I can tell. Never see it for sale anywhere these days

Inflation is bad enough but the quality has nosedived as well. I'm going to re-up my Costco membership just so I can get decent meat.

• 1Mother of God

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
You'd be lucky to even find wings in stock at any of my local grocers. Fresh or frozen. They just dont exist anymore apparently.

Also, about cheap "choice" steaks. I've stopped buying beef entirely. The last few times I bought on sale (7.99/lb porterhouse for instance) the steaks were fucking terrible. Barely edible. Like they came from dollar general. Even though they were labeled USDA choice. USDA Prime doesnt exist outside of high end restaurants anymore as far as I can tell. Never see it for sale anywhere these days

Inflation is bad enough but the quality has nosedived as well. I'm going to re-up my Costco membership just so I can get decent meat.
Man that's fucking nuts.

Do you have any idea why you can't get wings?

Regarding the other stuff, our prices at least in my area have jumped, but the quality hasn't slipped and it's probably due to the fact that it's HEB. They really do a good job of making certain you're happy with what they provide. Pick up produce and every now and then, it might turn a hell of a lot more quickly then expected. I just bring my receipt back, explain the issue, and they'll replace cucumbers or head of lettuce no problem.

Point being that's what they do a pretty phenomenal job of promoting their store brand at high level of quality. I'll always buy their store brand versus any name brand bullshit.

It's definitely reminder to keep an eye on things, though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do you have any idea why you can't get wings?
actually now that i think about it kroger didn't have wings for months while publix always did.

over time i prefer the publix chicken over the kroger chicken beef and pork is about the same tho

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
actually now that i think about it kroger didn't have wings for months while publix always did.

over time i prefer the publix chicken over the kroger chicken beef and pork is about the same t

I haven't shopped at Kroger's since college. I really need to swing by one of the local locations, just to compare prices on things.

I think Brad2770 Brad2770 bought his primals for his aging experiment from Kroger's if I'm not mistaken, and the price didn't seem bad.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I haven't shopped at Kroger's since college. I really need to swing by one of the local locations, just to compare prices on things.

I think Brad2770 Brad2770 bought his primals for his aging experiment from Kroger's if I'm not mistaken, and the price didn't seem bad.
all my briskets have been from kroger, they never get advertised in the digital flyer