Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I ended up just grabbing some pork steaks
I like big butts and I cannot lie...

IMG_20220703_111406204_HDR~2.jpg

Just threw it on. I think it's almost a 9 lb roast, so it's going to take quite a bit of the afternoon, but we'll have plenty of food for a while and I'm sure the neighbors will be happy.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Up to 130, but still have a ways to go before I wrap.

Also, is it wrong but I really want to try the bacon mac and cheese slovenly pizza. It sounds so wrong but it feels so right.

View attachment 420159

I did a 12lb'r a few weeks ago, 18 hours no wrap (my wife loves heavy crusty bark mixed into the pull). Turned out great.

Here's a 5lb flat i'm doing today, will wrap with juice around 160

1656876155288.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I did a 12lb'r a few weeks ago, 18 hours no wrap (my wife loves heavy crusty bark mixed into the pull). Turned out great.

Here's a 5lb flat i'm doing today, will wrap with juice around 160

View attachment 420161
Yeah that's what I'm debating on is whether or not I want to wrap foil or butcher paper, or not even wrap it at all. My wife loves pork butt more than anything else BBQ wise. It's not my favorite, but we both prefer a crustier bark, but this one is looking pretty good, so I'm excited.

I think I probably will wrap because I don't want to have to eat late at night, which I'm guilty of screwing up the schedule on other cookouts.

Post a pic of the final product if you don't mind, I hope your barbecue turns out great.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that's what I'm debating on is whether or not I want to wrap foil or butcher paper, or not even wrap it at all. My wife loves pork butt more than anything else BBQ wise. It's not my favorite, but we both prefer a crustier bark, but this one is looking pretty good, so I'm excited.

I think I probably will wrap because I don't want to have to eat late at night, which I'm guilty of screwing up the schedule on other cookouts.

Post a pic of the final product if you don't mind, I hope your barbecue turns out great.

Ya the no wrap was why mine took 18 hours, if I would have wrapped it it woulda be 12. I'll snag a pic before I wrap it. I like my brisket simple so just salt pepper garlic on it so it won't look all crazy, and since it's just the flat i'll wrap tight in foil with some bacon fat ah jus. The flat is the only thing I ever wrap in foil, cause it can dry pretty easy. I usually use butcher paper on most things but i've been trying no wrap on a bunch of different stuff recently.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Ya the no wrap was why mine took 18 hours, if I would have wrapped it it woulda be 12. I'll snag a pic before I wrap it. I like my brisket simple so just salt pepper garlic on it so it won't look all crazy, and since it's just the flat i'll wrap tight in foil with some bacon fat ah jus. The flat is the only thing I ever wrap in foil, cause it can dry pretty easy. I usually use butcher paper on most things but i've been trying no wrap on a bunch of different stuff recently.
Right on.

That's a pretty good idea with the bacon fat. I know I've seen a lot of videos recently about using beef Tallow or pork fat for different types of barbecue. Luckily I got a bunch of fresh bacon grease from getting stuff ready for potato salad. I've been spritzing the butt with an maple/ apple cider vinegar, Crystal, and beer. I can't see why adding that bacon grease prior to wrapping won't do me any disservice.

Your brisket sounds like it's going to turn out fantastic. Have you thought of screwing around with the waygu beef Tallow or anything like that?

I don't do briskets very often, but I think the next time I'll probably try adding an additional fat to keep things nice and juicy. Can't imagine something like duck fat wouldn't hurt, or even a little bit of lard.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Right on.

That's a pretty good idea with the bacon fat. I know I've seen a lot of videos recently about using beef Tallow or pork fat for different types of barbecue. Luckily I got a bunch of fresh bacon grease from getting stuff ready for potato salad. I've been spritzing the butt with an maple/ apple cider vinegar, Crystal, and beer. I can't see why adding that bacon grease prior to wrapping won't do me any disservice.

Your brisket sounds like it's going to turn out fantastic. Have you thought of screwing around with the waygu beef Tallow or anything like that?

I don't do briskets very often, but I think the next time I'll probably try adding an additional fat to keep things nice and juicy. Can't imagine something like duck fat wouldn't hurt, or even a little bit of lard.

You probably don't need extra fat on a pork butt, it's got a lot of fat. The flat part of the brisket is pretty lean so i'll be adding a few table spoons to my au jus. Probably throw like 3/4 cup total of liquid into a tight wrap (some will spill out) so hopefully it's moist. I honestly should have injected it yesterday but I fucking forgot like an idiot. If I was doing a full packer I wouldn't bother with any juice or fat and i'd just wrap it in butcher paper a couple hours into the stall.

The beautiful thing about a pork butt is no matter what the fuck you do to it it always seems to turn out good as shit once it passes the poke test. Yours looks primo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
You probably don't need extra fat on a pork butt, it's got a lot of fat. The flat part of the brisket is pretty lean so i'll be adding a few table spoons to my au jus. Probably throw like 3/4 cup total of liquid into a tight wrap (some will spill out) so hopefully it's moist. I honestly should have injected it yesterday but I fucking forgot like an idiot. If I was doing a full packer I wouldn't bother with any juice or fat and i'd just wrap it in butcher paper a few hours into the stall.

The beautiful thing about a pork butt is no matter what the fuck you do to it it always seems to turn out good as shit once it passes the poke test. Yours looks primo.
Oh absolutely, but I figured I would just give it a try sense I've got the bacon grease sitting around. Pork on pork isn't necessarily A bad thing.

Butts are pretty forgiving to cook though, and I didn't trim one at all, fat cap still intact. I'm maybe about 10° from the stall, but the bark is setting up nicely.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Oh absolutely, but I figured I would just give it a try sense I've got the bacon grease sitting around. Pork on pork isn't necessarily A bad thing.

Butts are pretty forgiving to cook though, and I didn't trim one at all, fat cap still intact. I'm maybe about 10° from the stall, but the bark is setting up nicely.

I trim but not a ton. Every time I trim all I can think is trimming is for pussies

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I trim but not a ton. Every time I trim all I can think is trimming is for pussies
Yeah I don't ever typically trim the fat off. I might get rid of some silver skin if it's pretty prominent, but even things like the skirt steak I leave all the fat on. Same thing with a tenderloin roast. It gives you a little bit more wiggle room from having things dry out at the end of the day.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This is what I should have injected it with (only used like 1/3 the packet of ah jus) yday, but it can go in the wrap should be fine

1656881049992.png

1656881080712.png

and right before wrap - doesn't look too crazy, zero sugar on outside to black it up

1656881144392.png

sitting at 160 so we'll see how long till two hundo

• 3Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm using some basic propane grill at this air. B n b nothing grand but I will be trying a swine apple pork stuffed in a pineapple

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Looks really lean. Was it juicy enough?

Here's a squeeze pic I took showing the moisture

1657042822040.png

Juicy enough, i'd probably give it a 6/10 (keeping in mind I've probably never, in my opinion, smoked anything higher than 8/10). Flats are a little harder, and smaller flats are even harder. Mine was a 4lb'r from a cow I fed out a year and a half ago. More room for error for the unskilled smoker (me) the bigger it is so i'd have rather had a 6lb'r. I should have injected it the day before but I forgot, so my strat 250 temp till meat was 160 then tight foil wrap with juice and lower temp to 225 till meat was 205. The poke test wasn't perfect in the thickest spots at 205 so I should have let it go a little longer but I wanted an hour rest and with the kid dinner time was pretty set. I'd say it was just as good as your chain bbq places.

Imma do a full packer for freezing soon. I really wanna haver a bunch of deep freeze vacume packed family bbq meals rdy to go that we can just pop in the pan or microwave. We did it with a pork butt and ended up with 8 1.5lb packs in the freezer. Unthawed one the other day and reheated in pan and it was still money so i'm very happy with the instant access bbq meat for quick cheap meals.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Here's a squeeze pic I took showing the moisture

View attachment 420423

Juicy enough, i'd probably give it a 6/10 (keeping in mind I've probably never, in my opinion, smoked anything higher than 8/10). Flats are a little harder, and smaller flats are even harder. Mine was a 4lb'r from a cow I fed out a year and a half ago. More room for error for the unskilled smoker (me) the bigger it is so i'd have rather had a 6lb'r. I should have injected it the day before but I forgot, so my strat 250 temp till meat was 160 then tight foil wrap with juice and lower temp to 225 till meat was 205. The poke test wasn't perfect in the thickest spots at 205 so I should have let it go a little longer but I wanted an hour rest and with the kid dinner time was pretty set. I'd say it was just as good as your chain bbq places.

Imma do a full packer for freezing soon. I really wanna haver a bunch of deep freeze vacume packed family bbq meals rdy to go that we can just pop in the pan or microwave. We did it with a pork butt and ended up with 8 1.5lb packs in the freezer. Unthawed one the other day and reheated in pan and it was still money so i'm very happy with the instant access bbq meat for quick cheap meals.
Looks great. Though I’m pretty sure that pic would get flagged on twitter 😆

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Pork butt took way longer than expected the other day. Should have got it rolling with my coffee. Just ended up eating super late.

All in all, turned out really tasty though. My wife said it was the best pork barbecue she's ever had, and she's pretty critical about my cooking. Was able to give it at least an hour rest in the cooler, and still piping hot and juicy. Still had some pretty good bark on it even though it was dark from the sugars in my rub, which we don't mind.

IMG_20220703_215449203_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20220703_220021410_HDR~2.jpg

• 2Quality Calories
  • 1Like