I wouldn’t clean it. 60 years of build up only takes you to
View attachment 415513
Happy GIF

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Lol thanks for the tips. I personally wouldn't clean it. I mean, if scrubbing it well with soapy water doesn't get it off then there's nothing there that will kill you, and it gives it character. But Mother doesn't like it. I may try to convince her otherwise. Worst case I'll buy her a new one and keep this for myself.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
oh speaking of fat chefs
2 years ago mario got metoo'd

he won

pretty sure there hasn't been a case of a valid metoo, ever
That's pretty awesome.

He's honestly one of my favorite chefs. Just encyclopedic when it comes to Italian cuisine. I used to watch Malto Mario all the time, and was great because there wasn't an audience, but just him sitting there cooking for a few people and explaining the cuisine. You can really learn a lot from those old episodes.

• 3Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Got some cheap tri-tip "steaks" which just means random hunks, but they were so nicely marbled I almost thought they mislabeled them. Good timing as I got a charcoal grill after years without a grill.

Made two mistakes:

First, there was a particularly skinny, weird cut of tri-tip that I threw on the grill unseasoned for my dog. We do homemade food, including cheap roasts that he likes, but this was next level for him. So the couple times since that I've grilled he gets very excited thinking he's going to get fire grilled meats. Gotta be some primal, evolutionary thing, and I'm like me too, dog, so now I'm gonna have to start making small vacuum sealed scrap bags of meat to grill for him. He's worth it, though, the little shit.

Then, I used some grilled tri-tip to make beef and broccoli. Oops. Kinda broke beef and broccoli because it was so good I don't see how I can make it without grilled beef now.

Not sure how/why I managed without a grill for so many years, but I'm glad to have corrected the problem even if it's complicating some things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got some cheap tri-tip "steaks" which just means random hunks, but they were so nicely marbled I almost thought they mislabeled them. Good timing as I got a charcoal grill after years without a grill.

Made two mistakes:

First, there was a particularly skinny, weird cut of tri-tip that I threw on the grill unseasoned for my dog. We do homemade food, including cheap roasts that he likes, but this was next level for him. So the couple times since that I've grilled he gets very excited thinking he's going to get fire grilled meats. Gotta be some primal, evolutionary thing, and I'm like me too, dog, so now I'm gonna have to start making small vacuum sealed scrap bags of meat to grill for him. He's worth it, though, the little shit.

Then, I used some grilled tri-tip to make beef and broccoli. Oops. Kinda broke beef and broccoli because it was so good I don't see how I can make it without grilled beef now.

Not sure how/why I managed without a grill for so many years, but I'm glad to have corrected the problem even if it's complicating some things.
i used to get those cheap "scraps" that they package for "beef stew" for the doggo

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
i used to get those cheap "scraps" that they package for "beef stew" for the doggo

Cheap? Around here they're usually double in price to the cuts of meat they're from because they're never on sale. Can't be that expensive to rough cut the stuff. And "fajita" meat was even more expensive, I guess because it was cut even smaller, but who want tiny bits of fajita meat? All so weird. Various flank steak or cross rib or tri tip all under $5 a pound and people paying $10 for "fajita" meat. Need to see if the Mexican grocery store does this because it confuses me.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, no kidding. Flank and Skirt is typically around 10 per lb, which is nuts for what's supposed to be a cheap cut. I love both of them, but the days of finding them for sub $5 are long gone at least where I live.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
TV chefs always talk about flank and skirt steak as "cheap cuts" but that's not my experience. They have the same problem as tri-tip in that there's not much of them per cow.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That shit is some of the best tasting too. So are much of the "tough" cuts, they have more flavor. Skirts around me are like $8/lb. And like TM said they were never really "cheap" just sometimes on special.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Inland northwest. Close to enough ranching so beef prices have gone up slower? And not saying they haven't gone up, just slower.

And not much difference in supply even through Covid except steaks sold whole in bag or whatever they call it to cut rarely seem sold anymore. Two years ago got ribeye steaks that even after trimming ended up about $5 a pound. Have only seen one sale sold that way and was already $6.99 a pound whole in the bag.

Steak is generally out of my budget now so don't follow prices and am almost out of my freezer stock. Sirloin was 4.99 and NY 5.99 recently, but pre-cut is always too thin and a bit spendy when I prefer rib eye if I'm gonna do steak.

Some Kroger distribution here, and while their meat isn't the best they seem intent on what are maybe loss leaders like 2.99 brisket, though it was 3.99 this last time, so raised or I misremembered 2.99.

I scour ads and buy bulk to freeze when cheap, so even locally people will say they never see a certain type of meat below a certain price, but they aren't waiting for sales or letting sales dictate what they get.

I mean, most people I know haven't changed their habits, boomers still driving around to check if stores have random things instead of looking or ordering online or consolidating trips, who complain most about gas prices. Gen Zers who didn't take the opportunity during Covid to learn to cook a single thing when they couldn't eat out every day now complaining about the cost of GrubHub or takeout. Millennials too out of it to even know they should be complaining about something other than video games.

Anyhow, tangents aside, unfortunately I know how to poor. And gas is higher here than many places and while house values are rising a lot of people seem to be abandoning yard care and maintenance which will hurt long term, so I suppose it all balances out.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
II mean, most people I know haven't changed their habits, boomers still driving around to check if stores have random things instead of looking or ordering online or consolidating trips, who complain most about gas prices. Gen Zers who didn't take the opportunity during Covid to learn to cook a single thing when they couldn't eat out every day now complaining about the cost of GrubHub or takeout. Millennials too out of it to even know they should be complaining about something other than video games.
i have a horrible green thumb and seem to only do well w/ grass, and i started planting 3 tomato plants (just bought 1 today to space it out), squash rasp and black berries.

the annoying part is weeding the garden i guess

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
i have a horrible green thumb and seem to only do well w/ grass, and i started planting 3 tomato plants (just bought 1 today to space it out), squash rasp and black berries.

Put down grass clippings around plants. Keeps moisture in and keeps weeds from spreading massive like they do. At least thats what I do. It needs to be a good 2" layer though, not jsut a dusting of it, lol. You could also use that landscape fabric too.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Put down grass clippings around plants. Keeps moisture in and keeps weeds from spreading massive like they do. At least thats what I do. You could also use that landscape fabric too.
yea i reading about bagging clipping and using it as mulch, do i have to dry it first or i can put down fresh?

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Was gonna build some raised garden beds, but just too expensive. Basil and red/ripe jalapenos are all I really miss. Bell peppers too, but only because they're weirdly expensive. Have some random stuff coming up like taragon, raspberries along the edge of the front yard, chives. I used to make the excuse gardening took too much time, but now that I have the time my excuse is that it's too expensive.

Weren't you doing mung bean or something indoor? How'd that turn out?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Put down grass clippings around plants. Keeps moisture in and keeps weeds from spreading massive like they do. At least thats what I do. It needs to be a good 2" layer though, not jsut a dusting of it, lol. You could also use that landscape fabric too.

Landscaping fabric tends to kill and starve the soil in my experience. Which kills weeds, but I haven't liked it except under rocks or decorative mulch. Spent a lot of time pulling that crap up from the previous owners because there were still weeds on top of it and the actual plants with holes were all being choked out. Now stuff is growing a bit wild, but at least it's starting to look alive again. Some people swear by the landscape fabric but long term it seems to do more harm. Looks great short term though.

Grass clippings or mulch and still having to do some weeding seems to work okay. Or layers of paper bag to temporarily block weeds for new plants to get established.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Was gonna build some raised garden beds, but just too expensive. Basil and red/ripe jalapenos are all I really miss. Bell peppers too, but only because they're weirdly expensive. Have some random stuff coming up like taragon, raspberries along the edge of the front yard, chives. I used to make the excuse gardening took too much time, but now that I have the time my excuse is that it's too expensive.

Weren't you doing mung bean or something indoor? How'd that turn out?
oh yea the mung bean is easy cuz its literally entirely automatic, no sun, no soil, just maybe put half a cup of water after the inital 3 days and sprouts start sticking out of the container.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you live where there's livestock, alfalfa hay is great for spreading on the garden to stop weeds and it's cheap compared to a lot of things.

• 1Like