Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If you live where there's livestock, alfalfa hay is great for spreading on the garden to stop weeds and it's cheap compared to a lot of things.
i've only seen alfalfa in pet stores when i bought it for bunnies a few years back

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
straw hay is cheaper and won't overload your garden on nitrogen if you've already got it balanced

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
White BBQ sause? oh Alabamastan....
Dude white barbecue sauce is pretty awesome because it's white.

Honestly it's just really tasty I enjoy the horseradish kick in the recipes I've done. That's really good for dark meat and grilled chicken to help cut through the richness of a fatty piece of meat, but it's also White, which makes it even better.

I'm not joking.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anybody got something delectable on the menu this weekend?

We're going to smoke a pork butt tomorrow, and make all the traditional barbecue sides. Haven't made one in a good long while, but the wife enjoys it more than any other type of barbecue from being up in the Carolinas.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Am doing some brisket (not a whole, just a part).

A while back did a pulled pork by charring it on the grill after doing steaks and then doing sous vide for 36 hours to have pulled pork a few days later. It turned out great, with perfect texture and just enough smokiness. Easier than firing up the smoker.

So, the brisket.... Was going to do the same method, but something broke in my brain and I put it in the sous vide first, and a day early. So, now gonna take it out, refrigerate it over night, then reheat on the grill or in the smoker which should work okay, just wasn't the plan.

Brisket for me and mine, burgers for boring family members who think anything with pepper is too spicy. Girlfriend makes great brioche buns so probably have a burger too.

Might try baked beans again. First try were too firm. Last time too mushy. Third time, and not forgetting them on the stove, may be the charm.

• 1Trump

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Am doing some brisket (not a whole, just a part).

A while back did a pulled pork by charring it on the grill after doing steaks and then doing sous vide for 36 hours to have pulled pork a few days later. It turned out great, with perfect texture and just enough smokiness. Easier than firing up the smoker.

So, the brisket.... Was going to do the same method, but something broke in my brain and I put it in the sous vide first, and a day early. So, now gonna take it out, refrigerate it over night, then reheat on the grill or in the smoker which should work okay, just wasn't the plan.

Brisket for me and mine, burgers for boring family members who think anything with pepper is too spicy. Girlfriend makes great brioche buns so probably have a burger too.

Might try baked beans again. First try were too firm. Last time too mushy. Third time, and not forgetting them on the stove, may be the charm.
Man don't overthink baked beans. Get some Bushes, or HEB, and just doctor it up. Some onion, some cubed up bacon, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, and maybe any other seasonings you want.

It's not worth having to dick around soaking beans. I reserve that for making red or white beans and rice and frying catfish. Same thing with black eyed peas.

For barbecue side dishes, the canned stuff is
just as good, just give it a little bit of attention.

I'll be curious to hear how your brisket turns out. Post some pictures if you don't mind.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Made filet mignon tonight with creamy polenta. Asparagus, drunken apples, corn on the cob on the side. It was slightly erotic.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Got a huge pork butt from Kroger when it was on sale for $2/lb, cut that shit up into steaks and BBQ 1/2 with sauce, 1/2 plain. Cut the steaks into little strips on wraps with cole slaw or with salsa and cheese. Yummy.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Got a huge pork butt from Kroger when it was on sale for $2/lb, cut that shit up into steaks and BBQ 1/2 with sauce, 1/2 plain. Cut the steaks into little strips on wraps with cole slaw or with salsa and cheese. Yummy.
I got a pack of heavily larded cheap ass tortillas from HEB. I don't remember the brand but I know them by sight, and they're fantastic and then maybe about 1.25 for a large pack. I plan on making copeious amounts of tacos with the leftovers.

Might even do enchiladas or something. It's a 9 lb roast, and there's no way in hell the two of us are going to get anywhere close to finishing it before it needs to get repurposed. Probably bring some over to my neighbors. I think he's doing a brisket, and they're normally pretty good about sharing barbecue when either of us make stuff, so it should be in pretty decent trade for 4th of July barbecue.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
For barbecue side dishes, the canned stuff is
just as good, just give it a little bit of attention.

I dunno. I really like beans, which means I usually don't like beans. The Bush's Grillin Beans are pretty good, but getting expensive and a tad mushy to me like many canned/flavored beans are. There's a local place that has good mustard bbq beans, but not quite . I like the taste of the ones I've done better, just working out kinks to get the firmness how I like.

It's more of a personal goal, though, than a matter of needing to get sides done. Last year was focusing on Asian cuisine, which almost sucks because I'm making Asian food on par with anything local which is demotivating for going or taking out. But, now doing grilling/bbq/cookout cuisine so gotta practice beans.

I always try to take pictures, but it's hard because I forget until meat is tore up... and have often teased my girlfriend over the posting food pics on Facebook thing. And my food usually tastes better than it looks. Self conscious about my sloppy meat......

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I dunno. I really like beans, which means I usually don't like beans. The Bush's Grillin Beans are pretty good, but getting expensive and a tad mushy to me like many canned/flavored beans are. There's a local place that has good mustard bbq beans, but not quite . I like the taste of the ones I've done better, just working out kinks to get the firmness how I like.

It's more of a personal goal, though, than a matter of needing to get sides done. Last year was focusing on Asian cuisine, which almost sucks because I'm making Asian food on par with anything local which is demotivating for going or taking out. But, now doing grilling/bbq/cookout cuisine so gotta practice beans.

I always try to take pictures, but it's hard because I forget until meat is tore up... and have often teased my girlfriend over the posting food pics on Facebook thing. And my food usually tastes better than it looks. Self conscious about my sloppy meat.....

Don't worry about the aesthetics, because if you're having a family barbecue, people are going to just be scooping out potato salad or baked beans or macaroni and cheese, slapping on to the plate and throwing a big honking rib or piece of chicken on top of everything, it's going to look good and people will be happy.

I do know one of the things that I have a problem with is asking my family members or friends whether or not my food taste good. I get pretty paranoid, because I always ask them to give me their honest opinion, because if I messed up, I wish to improve, and try to be better in the kitchen. I typically do or at least at this point I can tell whether or not they're bullshitting me.

I can't imagine anyone on the forums doesn't deal with the same thing cooking for their friends and family. At the end of the day it's all about having fun in the kitchen and putting a smile on people's faces by making a nice meal.

• 1Solidarity

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Anybody got something delectable on the menu this weekend?

We're going to smoke a pork butt tomorrow, and make all the traditional barbecue sides. Haven't made one in a good long while, but the wife enjoys it more than any other type of barbecue from being up in the Carolinas.
I was really tempted to make some pulled pork as the roast was $2 a pound

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars
I was really tempted to make some pulled pork as the roast was $2 a pound