Gravy's Cooking Thread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
but when I have used it to sear steak I found it to work a little too well and filled the house with smoke.

That's how you know it's working!

Good vent fan system is definitely on the list because making pizza inside sets off my smoke alarms as well as when I'm searing steak.

All my pans are induction compatible. Just not sure about burner size or searing on the smaller griddle burners. And induction cooktops seem to all have finicky controls.

Wish appliances stores had tester model kitchens where I could try them out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Needing a new oven, which means I've been looking at induction cooktops. Always been stuck with provided electric ranges, but now I'm looking to upgrade kitchen appliances. Definite want induction (maybe gas later when I do renovations).

Most of the largest induction cooktop burners are 11". Samsung has 12". Largest All Clad pan is 12 inch, so 11" base, but really want a larger burner and pan for searing two larger steaks or 4 burgers. Or maybe I could use the bridged griddle burners? Any experience? Thoughts?
i almost exclusively use my induction wok
529f254db6ca594a7cfb591df8af81bb.png

the wok it came w/ is junk, but the unit is nice, i can turn it on and a cup of water boils in 10seconds, like you've i've just used whatever range/stove came w/ the house, this one is practically new and heats up faster than my privious house but doesn't even comare to the wok.

this is the only experience i have had w/ induction stuff, i almost cook everything in here, even ramen cuz it just boils faster.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Needing a new oven, which means I've been looking at induction cooktops. Always been stuck with provided electric ranges, but now I'm looking to upgrade kitchen appliances. Definite want induction (maybe gas later when I do renovations).

Most of the largest induction cooktop burners are 11". Samsung has 12". Largest All Clad pan is 12 inch, so 11" base, but really want a larger burner and pan for searing two larger steaks or 4 burgers. Or maybe I could use the bridged griddle burners? Any experience? Thoughts?
We picked this up during our kitchen remodel.

It works pretty well there certainly is some adjustments from our old gas range.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
i almost exclusively use my induction wok
529f254db6ca594a7cfb591df8af81bb.png

the wok it came w/ is junk, but the unit is nice, i can turn it on and a cup of water boils in 10seconds, like you've i've just used whatever range/stove came w/ the house, this one is practically new and heats up faster than my privious house but doesn't even comare to the wok.

this is the only experience i have had w/ induction stuff, i almost cook everything in here, even ramen cuz it just boils faster.

As someone who has a shit oven I'm really interested in one of these but I've never used a wok.

1. Did you pick a better pan to go with it and will any "better" wok pan work or does it have a special shape?
2. What all do you cook in it, I guess what foods would be the limitations?
3. If you had to buy one again would you get this model you linked?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As someone who has a shit oven I'm really interested in one of these but I've never used a wok.

1. Did you pick a better pan to go with it and will any "better" wok pan work or does it have a special shape?
2. What all do you cook in it, I guess what foods would be the limitations?
3. If you had to buy one again would you get this model you linked?
3. as far as i know this is the only consumer level curved/bowled induction wok, there are pro-sumer levels but that'll cost more, so yea i'd get this again
2. i try to cook everything in it, basically if it's asian, it'll fit in a wok, if i make a breaded chicken/pork cutlet, i gotta whip out the skillet.

1. yes i did not like the included wok which is a shame, it fit the contour of the induction cooker perfectly but i just hate the way the wok felt, it didn't feel like a "wok" that i've ever used

when i bought my new wok i didn't have an asian grocer nearby, but of course amazon is good enough

0c3408065e05079df7647c07c4046641.png

i also really like this wok as well.

i do NOT consider a flat bottom wok, a wok
Hffb9613b7f0a43c4960f266cb6d6968ex.png_300x300.png

to mean it's just a tall skillet, it's like using a hunting knife to make juiliane cuts.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Made some Italian sausage, onions and peppers this weekend and it came out incredibly well, my only mistake was forgetting mozzarella at the store and having to use a spicy cheese blend. Still was A+

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Cooked 1/2" thick pork chops on the grill tonight. Bit of soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. When I flipped them (4 minutes in) I put goat cheese on top, then topped that with seasoned tomatoes from the garden and left them for another four minutes. It was simple and delicious.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
saw this way of cutting a slit in the skin and criss crossing the legs over to sorta close a filled chicken cavity

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
since i now have a proper (ghetto) workbench in my garage i decided i need some fun toys
ea1f3d20fd8ebd49253852ee6993ecf8.png

i'm not gonna bother with the guided tools, i'll just free hand it

why? my main knife is a chinese chef knife anyway

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
One benefit of living with the in laws while renovations are going on at home.

Attachments

• 88621AAF-B7BC-463E-B57A-B6CFC38AFF98.jpeg
    88621AAF-B7BC-463E-B57A-B6CFC38AFF98.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 25

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
??? Who still uses “oriental”.

Anyway, it’s Korean pressure cooked pork spare ribs and kimchi(not sure of the name, some kind of radish like veggie).
I do, hell my dad used to say ornamental as a joke. Asian oriental whatever. I guess I'm racist, but I do know how to cook.

I spotted the kimchi though, just couldn't tell what the protein was. Almost looked like meatloaf or some type of uncased sausage.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I do, hell my dad used to say ornamental as a joke. Asian oriental whatever. I guess I'm racist, but I do know how to cook.

I spotted the kimchi though, just couldn't tell what the protein was. Almost looked like meatloaf or some type of uncased sausage.
Never feel bad about being racist when asians are involved. They sure as shit aren't. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, whatever. They hate each other and every other race out there and are proud of it. Based nationalist motherfuckers. We could learn a lot from them.

• 1Double Worf

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Our grocery store does these little weekly free meal deals (buy a main item, get a bunch of other shit to go with it free). This week is a bone-in pork butt for some pulled pork sandwiches. Never touched one of these before. Usually when I do pulled pork, I throw a couple tenderloins in the slow cooker, cover it in Dr Pepper and let it roll for a few hours. Can I do similar with this or does it require some other special treatment (other than having it in there a lot longer, I’d imagine)?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Our grocery store does these little weekly free meal deals (buy a main item, get a bunch of other shit to go with it free). This week is a bone-in pork butt for some pulled pork sandwiches. Never touched one of these before. Usually when I do pulled pork, I throw a couple tenderloins in the slow cooker, cover it in Dr Pepper and let it roll for a few hours. Can I do similar with this or does it require some other special treatment (other than having it in there a lot longer, I’d imagine)?
does it also gots the skin?