Gravy's Cooking Thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Fuck birds. They're garbage. All you fuckers are doing is trying to make them as edible as possible, but then it's just edible garbage.

Cook beef instead for the holidays.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
I was going to do Brisket and the only reason we did Turkey is because the fam asked and we had done a BBQ tour a bit during the week. I also made ribs for them on Wednesday.

I was considering a smoked pork belly but meh.

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Points off for missing "Grilled Kimcheese".

Mozzarella seems like an odd choice. Unless it's that low moisture version that you should be using on pizza...how would you taste that over the kimchi?

• 1Worf

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Points off for missing "Grilled Kimcheese".

Mozzarella seems like an odd choice. Unless it's that low moisture version that you should be using on pizza...how would you taste that over the kimchi?
Could be more for the texture/richness/fat.
I assume a more mellow cheese is preferable so you aren’t fighting the strong kimchi funk/flavor.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
bought me a duck w/ the neck, had to goto the asian grocer (publix had duck but no neck)

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lanx Lanx

I am a big fan of the Chinese style chef knife. I have been using one I got for $8 at the Korean market for like 6 years and I always liked it. If I wanted a nicer one... what do you think of smth like this?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx

I am a big fan of the Chinese style chef knife. I have been using one I got for $8 at the Korean market for like 6 years and I always liked it. If I wanted a nicer one... what do you think of smth like this?

thats a meat cleaver tho, it's very heavy and only really to chop up bones, most chinese cleavers vs chinese chef knifes would be differentiated by the eyehole, if it has eyehole it chops meat.

these are some shi ba zi chef knives you can look at, they have many various ones, a lot of times it comes down to the handle, traditional chinese (the honey comb), western, or metal forged
9e501dc112056273e3a2727830593731.png

search for
"chinese chef knife"
"chinese vegetable knife"

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I really haven't frequented this thread much so before I do a deep dive, has there been much discussion of Indian food in here?

I haven't eaten much of it in my life, put this past year I have ordered it a few times. My orders have just been random, I had no idea what any of the shit was when I ordered it. I have enjoyed almost everything and few items more than others. I do enjoy cooking and have been considering learning how to cook Indian food. Any recipes in this thread or YouTube channels you guys could recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
thats a meat cleaver tho, it's very heavy and only really to chop up bones, most chinese cleavers vs chinese chef knifes would be differentiated by the eyehole, if it has eyehole it chops meat.

these are some shi ba zi chef knives you can look at, they have many various ones, a lot of times it comes down to the handle, traditional chinese (the honey comb), western, or metal forged
9e501dc112056273e3a2727830593731.png

search for
"chinese chef knife"
"chinese vegetable knife"
I understand that but are these of passable quality?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I understand that but are these of passable quality?
while i haven't used shi bazi, theyre actually a brand name in china (and not some no name) like henkels

also

you can return knives in amazon, and since it's holiday, you have until jan31 to return stuff, so why not test out and try

a good shibazi would be this one
80d85b7f76a1ebb61b22bb5077e30792.png

nice, big, wide and almost zero belly
SHI BA ZI ZUO Kitchen Knife Professional Chef Knife Stainless Steel Vegetable Knife Safe Non-stick Finish Blade with Anti-slip Wooden Handle (9 inch)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really haven't frequented this thread much so before I do a deep dive, has there been much discussion of Indian food in here?

I haven't eaten much of it in my life, put this past year I have ordered it a few times. My orders have just been random, I had no idea what any of the shit was when I ordered it. I have enjoyed almost everything and few items more than others. I do enjoy cooking and have been considering learning how to cook Indian food. Any recipes in this thread or YouTube channels you guys could recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Chef John chicken tikka masala on YouTube although yes yes that’s a British dish, he even mentions it.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Problem with indian food is the fucking ingredient lists. 100 different herbs and spices, different cooking techniques that all boils down to just do the takeout or lunch buffet. Its not worth trying to cook the shit. I tried and it was OK but never like they do it, kinda like chinese.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Problem with indian food is the fucking ingredient lists. 100 different herbs and spices, different cooking techniques that all boils down to just do the takeout or lunch buffet. Its not worth trying to cook the shit. I tried and it was OK but never like they do it, kinda like chinese.
That is kind of what I was worried about. I need to check Blue Apron or a similar service and see if the have Indian recipes, just to start out.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
That is kind of what I was worried about. I need to check Blue Apron or a similar service and see if the have Indian recipes, just to start out.
The first person to post a Jamie Oliver video goes on the list. Don't do it.

• 1Worf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nah, tikka masala is not a complicated dish. You could buy all those esoteric spices that you'll only use on that dish, or you could find a curry mix you like and just use that.

Brown the meat, saute the veggies, add the spices and tomato paste at some point so they get some frying action, add the fat(dairy or coconut) and tomatoes, stew for a while to finish cooking everything. Serve over rice. Or add some potatoes and carrots, make it a stew. Toast up some naan to dip in it. 1 pan if you don't cook any rice.

Don't be intimidated. You'll never be as good as someone who cooks at a restaurant, but that's not realistic. My wife used to hate Indian food, but now she requests my chicken tikka. You'll understand the basics of the dish and tailor it to how you like it, same as cooking anything else.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This Indian restaurant I live by had (PRE COVID) the best lunch buffet for like $12. Man I used to go there like 3-4 days a week, I could not get enough of it. They had this butter chicken that was to die for. Their chicken 65 was also so good. Goat curry? Fuck man, mouth crack. They had other good shit that was different every day. But like I said I tried and tried and could never even get close to the taste they had. I watched youtube, I even found some old school indian chef (see below) making the shit and what came out was good, dont get me wrong, the kids and wife loved it, but it was not the same. Maybe its just my problem, I wanted it to taste like the restaurant.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
This Indian restaurant I live by had (PRE COVID) the best lunch buffet for like $12. Man I used to go there like 3-4 days a week, I could not get enough of it. They had this butter chicken that was to die for. Their chicken 65 was also so good. Goat curry? Fuck man, mouth crack. They had other good shit that was different every day. But like I said I tried and tried and could never even get close to the taste they had. I watched youtube, I even found some old school indian chef making the shit and what came out was good, dont get me wrong, the kids and wife loved it, but it was not the same. Maybe its just my problem, I wanted it to taste like the restaurant.

It takes years of shitting in the street to perfect Indian cooking. Don't be so hard on yourself.

EDIT: Funny thing. This really isn't that far from the truth. Living in a culture is the best way to learn to cook their food.

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users