Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
You don't have a covered patio?
Not currently. We're looking to try to move here soon and building, just trying to figure out where we're going to end up. My home will have a big covered patio area and outdoor kitchen.

Until then, I'm at the mercy of the weather.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The spatchcocked smoked turkey turned out really well. One of the better turkeys I've ever cooked.

I wet brined it for a day, then smoked it at 225 for 2 hours then 350 for 2 hours more. I misted it with the apple juice/vinegar dilution I use on ribs every 30 minutes or so and covered it in a poultry rub I like.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
spatchcocked smoked turkey

I think it's the best way to go. It cooks quickly and stays moist. You don't get the crispy skin you do with deep frying, but deep frying is such a project not to mention that 5 gallons of peanut oil is probably $100 these days.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think it's the best way to go. It cooks quickly and stays moist. You don't get the crispy skin you do with deep frying, but deep frying is such a project not to mention that 5 gallons of peanut oil is probably $100 these days.
for me it's $50/3gallon which is what i had to use for a 20lb turkey
1124221340_HDR.jpg

1124221500_HDR.jpg

turning a boobie and some bones into congee, gonna try using the crockpot for a more set it and forget approach

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Damn weather screwed up things, but managed to get the bird on the grill. Unintentionally developed a Vanguard theme this year with my sides. Ended up wet brining the duck & spatchcocked, just didn't have time to do the whole 4-day process of drying it out. Didn't quite get the crispy skin I was looking for, but the meat had lots of flavor, and was still tender and juicy. Potato casserole, green bean casserole, stuffing, and roasted root veggies. Star of the show was the gravy. Ended up turning it over to the wife, and she knocked it out of the park. We minced up the duck liver, mushrooms, onion, herbs, and reduced everything with some Cognac.

IMG_20221124_183504987_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221124_193853408.jpg
IMG_20221124_193750966.jpg
IMG_20221124_195043225.jpg
IMG_20221124_181747935.jpg

All in all, we were quite pleased with everything, despite too much brown. Hope everyone else's meals turned out great this year. Happy Thanksgiving.

Bonus was the crab dip the other day was perfect. Recipe changes every time we make it. Tossed the corn and sausage from the cook in there along with all the normal ingredients and was one of the best ones we've made in a while, and used up all the leftovers. Was perfect for appetizer while we were making dinner.

IMG_20221123_195900099.jpg
IMG_20221123_214953229.jpg

• 6Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 7 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Damn weather screwed up things, but managed to get the bird on the grill. Unintentionally developed a Vanguard theme this year with my sides. Ended up wet brining the duck & spatchcocked, just didn't have time to do the whole 4-day process of drying it out. Didn't quite get the crispy skin I was looking for, but the meat had lots of flavor, and was still tender and juicy. Potato casserole, green bean casserole, stuffing, and roasted root veggies. Star of the show was the gravy. Ended up turning it over to the wife, and she knocked it out of the park. We minced up the duck liver, mushrooms, onion, herbs, and reduced everything with some Cognac.

View attachment 444601View attachment 444602View attachment 444603View attachment 444604View attachment 444605

All in all, we were quite pleased with everything, despite too much brown. Hope everyone else's meals turned out great this year. Happy Thanksgiving.

Bonus was the crab dip the other day was perfect. Recipe changes every time we make it. Tossed the corn and sausage from the cook in there along with all the normal ingredients and was one of the best ones we've made in a while, and used up all the leftovers. Was perfect for appetizer while we were making dinner.

View attachment 444607View attachment 444608
So you're saying you gave your family crabs?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Fuck birds. They're garbage. All you fuckers are doing is trying to make them as edible as possible, but then it's just edible garbage.

Cook beef instead for the holidays.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

• 3Worf
  • 2Supertaster
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That reminds me.

I've never had hot crab dip.

I've also never had a lobster roll.

I've also never tried crawdads.

Dunno if I'm missing out or not.

You're missing out on garlicky butter. That's about it.

• 3Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fuck birds. They're garbage. All you fuckers are doing is trying to make them as edible as possible, but then it's just edible garbage.

We had ham and turkey last night. Single option proteins for the holiday meal is for the poors.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Glad some of you had what looks/sounds like amazing meals.

I prepped a turkey to bring to the girlfriend's grandpa's house because he insisted, then complained, that he "had to do everything" for Thanksgiving, which meant me going back and forth a few times to actually do everything.

Try to have those meaningful experiences bonding with her grandpa, but it doesn't happen. His oven is fucked so the turkey over cooked because I tried to mix in a walk for my dog and didn't get back in time to monitor it closer and he wasn't paying attention because it was "my" turkey.

Did a non-tenting recipe that gets the skin nice and crispy, was over done but at least the skin would be good.... only for him to rip off all the skin and toss it in the trash because "nobody eats that stuff!" He also tried to throw away the turkey legs for the same reason. As he's eating a wing and licking his fingers while carving.

Then asked my girlfriend if we wanted the bones and all the "extra" meat--the rest of the dark meat he was going to throw out I guess?--because he knows we "do stuff with the extras nobody wants" but then my girlfriend hadn't even asked me yet and too late already in the trash.

And that was just the turkey. We made homemade rolls, which means we got sent home with some of the two different store bought rolls her dad brought. Was three stuffings because nobody communicates and just brings random shit like it's an office potluck. Homemade desserts? Offer to make a pumpkin pie? Naaah store bought is just fine, great in fact! So get sent home with half the pumpkin cheesecake and chocolate pie she made and no need to waste your time next year!

Overall, was a shit show and I'm not sure why I endure it year after year. Sorry probably needs to be in the divorce thread lol.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Do you have a beef rouladen recipe that incorporates cottage cheese? If not you should develop such a phenomenal feat.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Glad some of you had what looks/sounds like amazing meals.

I prepped a turkey to bring to the girlfriend's grandpa's house because he insisted, then complained, that he "had to do everything" for Thanksgiving, which meant me going back and forth a few times to actually do everything.

Try to have those meaningful experiences bonding with her grandpa, but it doesn't happen. His oven is fucked so the turkey over cooked because I tried to mix in a walk for my dog and didn't get back in time to monitor it closer and he wasn't paying attention because it was "my" turkey.

Did a non-tenting recipe that gets the skin nice and crispy, was over done but at least the skin would be good.... only for him to rip off all the skin and toss it in the trash because "nobody eats that stuff!" He also tried to throw away the turkey legs for the same reason. As he's eating a wing and licking his fingers while carving.

Then asked my girlfriend if we wanted the bones and all the "extra" meat--the rest of the dark meat he was going to throw out I guess?--because he knows we "do stuff with the extras nobody wants" but then my girlfriend hadn't even asked me yet and too late already in the trash.

And that was just the turkey. We made homemade rolls, which means we got sent home with some of the two different store bought rolls her dad brought. Was three stuffings because nobody communicates and just brings random shit like it's an office potluck. Homemade desserts? Offer to make a pumpkin pie? Naaah store bought is just fine, great in fact! So get sent home with half the pumpkin cheesecake and chocolate pie she made and no need to waste your time next year!

Overall, was a shit show and I'm not sure why I endure it year after year. Sorry probably needs to be in the divorce thread lol.

He sounds like an asshole. Fuck 'em and don't waste time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user