Gravy's Cooking Thread

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just say 'Asians', LOL

I mean that looks like traditional green cabbage (the 'hard' stuff) but I'd have to hold some in my hand to see if it's softer while looking the same.

Fuuuuck, now I want some cabbage.

I come from a long line of German immigrants and I miss cabbage and sauerkraut. We grew a lot of cabbage as a kid and we made our own sauerkraut a number of times. But it's just kind of died off. I remember my folks making Americanized versions of German dishes and it's just one of those childhood memories now.

Sausage/pork with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut....I miss that so much

View attachment 448915
Making your own sauerkraut is cheap and easy. Just pop your sliced cabbage into a jar. Add some salt. Let it sit on the counter for a few days. Boom, done! Make some steamed or stewed cabbage and mashed taters and you're good to go.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Making your own sauerkraut is cheap and easy. Just pop your sliced cabbage into a jar. Add some salt. Let it sit on the counter for a few days. Boom, done! Make some steamed or stewed cabbage and mashed taters and you're good to go.

One thing that mildly pissed me off years ago, happened when we moved my mother to a new house. She was kind of a pack rat and she'd been living there by herself.

We'd had this really old cabbage slicer. The old wooden ones with the knives in the bottom. We'd do a fuckton of kraut at a time. I still have a big 30 or so gallon stoneware crock that we used, but I think we usually lined it with a heavy plastic garbage bag before doing a batch, then bundled it all up inside of the crock. But it's been 30+ years so I dunno anymore

To be fair to my sisters, they were having to go through and throw a lot of shit away, because there's only so much room and only so much you can take. But they tossed that slicer away early and by the time I thought to ask if they'd seen it, it had been tossed into the trash and it wasn't worth digging out.

But it really wasn't the loss of a really old cabbage slicer, it was more that my sisters didn't attach any value to a slew of old stuff from the family, and a lot of stuff got tossed. It's like they were 180 degrees away from my mom, who attached too much value to things that were objectively worthless.

To your point though, you're absolutely right and I should probably try that. I just think I miss a lot from my childhood, you know?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One thing that mildly pissed me off years ago, happened when we moved my mother to a new house. She was kind of a pack rat and she'd been living there by herself.

We'd had this really old cabbage slicer. The old wooden ones with the knives in the bottom. We'd do a fuckton of kraut at a time. I still have a big 30 or so gallon stoneware crock that we used, but I think we usually lined it with a heavy plastic garbage bag before doing a batch, then bundled it all up inside of the crock. But it's been 30+ years so I dunno anymore

To be fair to my sisters, they were having to go through and throw a lot of shit away, because there's only so much room and only so much you can take. But they tossed that slicer away early and by the time I thought to ask if they'd seen it, it had been tossed into the trash and it wasn't worth digging out.

But it really wasn't the loss of a really old cabbage slicer, it was more that my sisters didn't attach any value to a slew of old stuff from the family, and a lot of stuff got tossed. It's like they were 180 degrees away from my mom, who attached too much value to things that were objectively worthless.

To your point though, you're absolutely right and I should probably try that. I just think I miss a lot from my childhood, you know?
something like this?

This really just appears to be a multi-blade mandolin, can't fault 3 slices in one pass, even if the idea of wooden kitchen things gives me the hebejebe's for cleaning.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
something like this?

This really just appears to be a multi-blade mandolin, can't fault 3 slices in one pass, even if the idea of wooden kitchen things gives me the hebejebe's for cleaning.

Very similar.

Was kind of a PITA to slice the last inch or so, so we just used a regular knife and a cutting board.

I imagine that if I had a time machine and showed it to my great grandparents, they'd just be like "Why are you still keeping it around? It's gross. Just go buy a new one!"

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
this was actually really good for 70bucks
a4e4579ef13e1f95a459da3077c5ba87.png

TIGER JBV-A10U 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer Basket, White

if you wanna go baller, this is mine
b1c5465b8e8214f08818c28539fb7ff5.png

Zojirushi NP-HCC10XH Induction Heating System Rice Cooker and Warmer, 1 L, Stainless Dark Gray

i only have 1 criteria for any zoji, it has to say made in japan, i chose my model b/c it has the jasmine rice setting.

this one might be the cheapest made in japan model?
d92e4c90e35ed30a3a70b4201223b701.png

Zojirushi, Made in Japan Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker, 5.5-Cup, Premium White

and then they have other models that are induction and pressure heat, but they cost as much as a ps5, so i mean there are limits to silliness

my zoj broke after 2 years, ended up with the cheapo aroma and it's perfect everytime

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Nostalgia is big business for a reason, fren.

I need to get back into brining shit again too. Did some pickles a year or two back, still have the giant mason jars so I am ready to roll.

• 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
What's everyone making for Christmas? Happy to hear new ideas and other inspiration to maybe add to my menu.

We're using uncooked leftover crab dip from the last batch, cocktail shrimp, and charcuterie plate for Christmas Eve. Some type of salad or snacking vegetables, too

Gonna do a prime rib roast for the main event, which I haven't made in a while. Some sort of potato dish, creamed spinach, Caesar salad, and all the other accompaniments. Still trying to figure out dessert. I normally do bananas foster, but I think the wife is wanting to bake something.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Hosting my parents for a not-quite Christmas dinner. Never actually hosted a dinner before, so it’s just a honey glazed ham, veggies, Hawaiian rolls, etc.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit is way better for you too. Since its got natural probiotics that are cooked awaay because everything sold in store has to be pasteurized.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Are you serious? This is amazing to me.

Thanksgiving was always with my grandparents and extended family, now is always with my brother’s family and my parents since the grandparents passed. Christmas we do with my in-laws and those grandparents and extended family. Just never had the opportunity before.

Was nice tonight to finally have a house to host in and get to use the table my parents got for our kitchen/dining room and all the various serving ware I’ve accumulated but never needed to use. Ham came out fine despite my first time making it (thankfully easy). All in all a good night!

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Does uncooked leftover seafood usually keep well?
No it doesn't.

The crab was already cooked and just mixed with the other ingredients. Vacuum packed and froze it immediately when I realized how much I was going to make for that particular meal or two, and how much we had left over. Just need to add a little bit more dairy and a few other ingredients, pop it in the oven, it should be good to go. Done the same thing in the past and not had any issues.

I'm pretty cautious about seafood in general, and I've not had any problems so far.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In the past I never really did a Christmas meal. Was gone a lot. Normally would just cook some deer or duck. This year I'm gonna throw 2 cornish hens on the rotissarie and call it good. Never been a big fan of the huge meals with a dozen dishes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
In the past I never really did a Christmas meal. Was gone a lot. Normally would just cook some deer or duck. This year I'm gonna throw 2 cornish hens on the rotissarie and call it good. Never been a big fan of the huge meals with a dozen dishes.
I haven't done that in a long time. I need to get a rotisserie option for the grill. What are you using?

Growing up we always used to do a lot of cornish game hens, especially for Thanksgiving. Mom used to always do it just because it was easy but it was always fun to have your own little bird, and when you're a kid it was pretty cool.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I almost didn't get any. At the store an older couple had every one in the store in their cart. I asked if I could have two and talked a minute. They were buying all of them for a church dinner.

I use a 30 year rotissrrie oven and thats all it does. I got it and kept it around for cooking duck mostly. Set it and forget it lol. Got my moneys worth out of it.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I almost didn't get any. At the store an older couple had every one in the store in their cart. I asked if I could have two and talked a minute. They were buying all of them for a church dinner.

I use a 30 year rotissrrie oven and thats all it does. I got it and kept it around for cooking duck mostly. Set it and forget it lol. Got my moneys worth out of it.
Hahaha, good ole RonCo. There was an old couple that our family was very good friends with in Charleston that always used one. They used to make pork roast in it, and it always turned out delicious. Enjoy your birds, I'm sure they'll turn out great.

33d6e1a2-8b3a-41f0-9430-2758dec0a401_387x405.jpg

• 3Like