Gravy's Cooking Thread

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
2 cans bush's chili magic, 2 pounds ground beef, 2 cans diced tomatoes. 2 cans pinto beans. one whole white onion. bam chili for 2 for 4 days.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have had 2 roncos, one of which my mom stole from me. So I had to buy another one. Now I have not used it in a while but yeah its great for shit like chicken, pork, I even made beef in it as well. Only thing that sucks about it is there is no temp control. If it had that I would consider it a top notch gadget. But since it does not, I would give it 3/5 wood spoons.

• 2Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have had 2 roncos, one of which my mom stole from me. So I had to buy another one. Now I have not used it in a while but yeah its great for shit like chicken, pork, I even made beef in it as well. Only thing that sucks about it is there is no temp control. If it had that I would consider it a top notch gadget. But since it does not, I would give it 3/5 wood spoons.
perhaps try a temperature controlled power controller.
1672094807999.png

Before I got my Instant Pot, I used one of these to keep an off/low/high crockpot at appropriate temperature when making yogurt; worked excellently on dumb devices where more power = more heat.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont think that would work, because in rotisserie you want to control the temp, but you want the thing to still spin, I mean thats the whole point of it. I would think this controller would just power off the whole thing and keep it from spinning.

They do have a no heat rotate setting and thats what I use to sort of control the heat but as you can guess its annoying. If I knew how to wire some shit together im sure you could come up with something beacuse the controls are all there but no thermocouple and no temp display or setting.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
There's ways to make it work, but unless you're into that kind of stuff already it probably isn't remotely worth the effort.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Did not get to use my rotissarie. I didn't feel good on Christmas and slept most of the day. Mom just put the cornish hens in the oven.

Never hd a problem with temp, ducks and cornish hens are small and you can coke them fast so I just check on them a few times and that's it. Not like I was cooking for 5 hours or something.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Bag of noodles, pound of ground beef, 2 cans of cream of mushroom (plain, golden, or beefy all work).

My Dad was a firefighter and this was one of the dishes they made at the station to feed a big group and he made it at home too. You have to add some cheese though.

We called it "Targoo" and fucking loved it.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My Dad was a firefighter and this was one of the dishes they made at the station to feed a big group and he made it at home too. You have to add some cheese though.

We called it "Targoo" and fucking loved it.
I frequently add shredded cheese as a topping but don't really care for it melted into the mix, I make shells and cheese product with sage sausage if I have a hankering for mac and cheese.

• 2Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
Sous Vide is overrated.

Sous Vide is great, it used to be my favorite and I still use it for chicken sometimes. Keeps it moist and tender, not all dried out like some people's chicken. It's also good for people who don't cook very well. Throw it in and you are done in 3 hours or whatever.

But now I just smoke everything. It just gives way more flavor and I can do a steak in like 45 min.

Reverse Sear < sous vide/sear < smoker imo.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Sous Vide is great, it used to be my favorite and I still use it for chicken sometimes. Keeps it moist and tender, not all dried out like some people's chicken. It's also good for people who don't cook very well. Throw it in and you are done in 3 hours or whatever.

But now I just smoke everything. It just gives way more flavor and I can do a steak in like 45 min.

Reverse Sear < sous vide/sear < smoker imo.
I haven't broken out the Anova in ages. Honestly can't remember the last time I sous-vided, I think maybe a couple of tri-tips for a get together with some buddies where I didn't want to have to monitor shit. In that aspect it's wonderful.

I do reverse sear all the time, but I do it with my smoker / grill. Since I've gotten it dialed in, that's why my anova is sitting in the pantry. A probe thermometer and knowing your temps is all you really need to make excellent meat. I agree that using a grill smoker or whatever is infinitely better for more flavor, but then again sometimes I don't want that much smoke on a steak, or a piece of chicken. Guess it just depends on what mood we're in.

Didn't put any smoke on the Christmas rib roast, but low and slowed it on the gas grill. Was shooting for a classic steakhouse type flavor profile, and it turned out perfect to my tastes. I'm more of a medium with prime rib slow roasted to render the fat, and the wife had really never had anything like it before and was blown away. Made taters au gratin and a simple family recipe "Caesar" salad we always made growing up. Just the classic family Christmas meal I remembered enjoying. Did do some roasted brussel sprouts and some creamed spinach the next day to go with the leftovers.
IMG_20221225_212747128.jpg

IMG_20221225_212907966.jpg

IMG_20221225_211710363_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221227_212016159.jpg

IMG_20221225_211721042_HDR.jpg

• 3Like
  • 3Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Sous vide is a tool like any other, good when appropriate and helpful. Too many people treat it like the retarded instant pot craze where people were making everything in an instant pot even when it made the dish more complicated. Lazy cooks will just sous vide every meat as if it magically makes everything perfect.

My favorite method being getting a crust on the grill after doing that nights dinner and then finishing it sous vide. Have done pulled pork several times that way and turned out perfect each time without much risk of variance and makes it easier to have pulled pork fresh on a work night or when I'm otherwise unable to tend to the smoker.

I see a lot of people just sous vide everything and while it has advantages needing less attention it's not a magic trick. Same lazy people often used to instant pot everything and now think doing everything sous vide will overcome their laziness.

Sous vide makes a lot of things very easy, but only after putting in the effort to learn when and how to use it right.

• 1Like