Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Looking for recommendations on cooking ware (pots, pans, etc) that won’t give me cancer Lanx Lanx I believe you said this thread was place to post for plan of attack
Pyrex works for almost everything in terms of baking and cooking and storing it for later. Not sure about pots and pans, but anything that isn't teflon and is stainless steel is usually a good place to start, or so I have gleaned from this thread.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Pyrex works for almost everything in terms of baking and cooking and storing it for later. Not sure about pots and pans, but anything that isn't teflon and is stainless steel is usually a good place to start, or so I have gleaned from this thread.

yea if you have old pans, especially ones w/ teflon or some type of non stick quick release, maybe replace em w/ aluminum baking sheets, these were test kitchens number 1
340912099633f12d67ab1324d5c72a9f.png

i have em and use em for everything, i even use em w/ a cooling rack to prep my brisket and it's a good way for me to transfer the brisket from grill to oven and it's also what i lay the brisket on too. (w/ the rack)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
All-Clad's patent for triple ply pans expired, so now you'll see a ton of brands able to do it. I bought a $215 Cuisinart Multiclad Pro set 4 years ago and it's been good and held up well. Biggest pan was 10 inch, so I bought a 12inch All-Clad that is my work horse and high-temp seering or stir fry pan. Even the cheaper Tramontina get good reviews (and more importantly good heat distribution in testing) because the All-Clad patent/tech was just that good it can now be duplicated with great results for cheap. All-Clad is superior quality still, but imo not worth the cost if you're cheap like I am, unless you're trying to impress or really beating up pans in a professional setting (and even still I'd honestly almost prefer 3 or 4 cheaper pans to be more disposable of sorts).

Also added a mid-size Cuisinart pot smaller than the larger stockpot that has drain holes on top. I wanted the size, but the gimmick of drain holes on top has been great, too.

For cast iron, I have a smoothed/machined Griswold 10inch that is amazing for everything from crisping tortillas to seering. My newer Lodge cast iron is annoying to work with. The factory seasoning sucks. It's rough, which some people claim doesn't effect the non-stick nature, but shit sticks to my rough Lodge cast irons no matter what in a way that never did with smoothed ones I learned to cook on as a kid (that I wish I still had). And the rough surface makes it obnoxiously loud to work with metal utensils in it. Some very nice/expensive brands machining the surface smooth or can do it oneself, or look to find an antique pan from Griswold or Wagner that will be far superior (and probably have all the lead leeched out by now? hah).

That said, cast iron baking sheets are amazing if treated like a baking stone for baking and expecting some cleanup for roasting. Have smaller ones we do bacon or biscuits on in the toaster oven. Large round pizza pan that works best treated as a baking stone. Even have cast iron bread loaf pans that are great for a better crust and faster cooking. And they'll all go on the stovetop to use as griddles, too. Otherwise just basic Nordic-ware is still king for baking.

Nonstick for anything in the kitchen is an abomination. Releasing toxins, teaching people bad/lazy habits, and not lasting nearly long enough to bother with them. Whether it's chemical coating style or marketing about some new and improved surface, it's just not worth bothering if you're at all serious about cooking/baking.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Pyrex works for almost everything in terms of baking and cooking and storing it for later.

Old Pyrex was great. Remember they used to have stovetop rated glass cookware? It was relatively cheap, durable, easy to clean. And fun as a kid to watch stuff like rice cooking from the side of the pot.

A few years back I accidentally put a newer Pyrex baking dish on a burner that was turned off, but still hot, and even though the dish was hot from the oven after a few minutes the Pyrex baking dish exploded, shooting hot shards of "glass" all over the kitchen. Was already heated, but couldn't handle any direct heat? Thankfully it missed me through some Pulp Fiction miracle since I was standing close by, but there were shard shaped burns in the floor and I was finding those weird glass cubes it breaks into for months.

I blame liberal women. The same mental illness that put the scare of "nukes" into any nuclear power put the scare of glass into society. High quality glass is amazing for everything from cooking to storage, but they don't even recycle it where I am anymore. They only take plastic and paper, and the plastic they're not even recycling in favor of just burning it or putting it into the dump. All because of the fear kids would just randomly slice their heads off anywhere near broken glass I guess. That was obviously pushed by corporations who realized glass was too good and too cheap and too easy to clean and recycle, so had to demonize it in favor of a bunch of inferior shit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Glass is just melted sand. It doesn't make sense to recycle because by the time you transport it, clean it, and melt it back down you have more money and energy into it than you would from just making new glass.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
btw since i've been using no nonstick for a few years, i've really grown to love this fish spatula
a118ad8d6b02fd213d470e720a72ec36.png

(not the one i have but theyre all about the same)

i love the flex it has and it can "break/separate" the food from the pan and the fond really, i even use it for my wok over the wok spatula (except when i use the outside burner cuz thats so hot i need the distance)

it feels "real" when youre cooking rather than using some limpy silicone trapezoid shaped monstrosety

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Old Pyrex was great. Remember they used to have stovetop rated glass cookware? It was relatively cheap, durable, easy to clean. And fun as a kid to watch stuff like rice cooking from the side of the pot.

A few years back I accidentally put a newer Pyrex baking dish on a burner that was turned off, but still hot, and even though the dish was hot from the oven after a few minutes the Pyrex baking dish exploded, shooting hot shards of "glass" all over the kitchen. Was already heated, but couldn't handle any direct heat? Thankfully it missed me through some Pulp Fiction miracle since I was standing close by, but there were shard shaped burns in the floor and I was finding those weird glass cubes it breaks into for months.

I blame liberal women. The same mental illness that put the scare of "nukes" into any nuclear power put the scare of glass into society. High quality glass is amazing for everything from cooking to storage, but they don't even recycle it where I am anymore. They only take plastic and paper, and the plastic they're not even recycling in favor of just burning it or putting it into the dump. All because of the fear kids would just randomly slice their heads off anywhere near broken glass I guess. That was obviously pushed by corporations who realized glass was too good and too cheap and too easy to clean and recycle, so had to demonize it in favor of a bunch of inferior shit.

Pyrex changed the recipe awhile ago in a claim to reduce fall damage, but it no longer withstands thermal shock as well as the old borosilicate recipe

However, in the early 90s, Corning, the company that invented Pyrex, started using soda lime silicate glass instead of borosilicate (another manufacturer now owns the line). The switch was, its makers say, to boost the glassware's ability to withstand being dropped

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Pyrex changed the recipe awhile ago in a claim to reduce fall damage, but it no longer withstands thermal shock as well as the old borosilicate recipe
yeaa thats why ppl always goodwill dive for old cast iron pans and old pyrex (look for the boy on the horn)
1.-Take-A-Look-At-The-Marker.jpg

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Glass is just melted sand. It doesn't make sense to recycle because by the time you transport it, clean it, and melt it back down you have more money and energy into it than you would from just making new glass.

New shitty glass is cheaper to just make, maybe. Glass is one of the few non-scam recyclables that make any sense, which is why it got pushed out in favor of pretending plastic is recyclable when it's actually what you're describing with glass these days, but toxic shit of poor quality turning your analytical skills gay.

Just like new shitty steel full of literal garbage from China is maybe cheeper. I mean, metal is just melted ore! Should be cheap and it's all the same, right, just melted ore.

Lumber is just cutted up trees! Consider that explained!

Why are you the way you are?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
New shitty glass is cheaper to just make, maybe. Glass is one of the few non-scam recyclables that make any sense, which is why it got pushed out in favor of pretending plastic is recyclable when it's actually what you're describing with glass these days, but toxic shit of poor quality turning your analytical skills gay.

Just like new shitty steel full of literal garbage from China is maybe cheeper. I mean, metal is just melted ore! Should be cheap and it's all the same, right, just melted ore.

Lumber is just cutted up trees! Consider that explained!

Why are you the way you are?
Does this post have a point?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's very cheap to make is the point. Not sure what you're raging about.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
btw since i've been using no nonstick for a few years, i've really grown to love this fish spatula
a118ad8d6b02fd213d470e720a72ec36.png

(not the one i have but theyre all about the same)

i love the flex it has and it can "break/separate" the food from the pan and the fond really, i even use it for my wok over the wok spatula (except when i use the outside burner cuz thats so hot i need the distance)

it feels "real" when youre cooking rather than using some limpy silicone trapezoid shaped monstrosety
Ordered your allclad recommendation. Thanks. Is this the spatula you’d recommend using with it? I’ve always used those plastic spatulas…

or should I just order this allclad set?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
All-Clad's patent for triple ply pans expired, so now you'll see a ton of brands able to do it. I bought a $215 Cuisinart Multiclad Pro set 4 years ago and it's been good and held up well. Biggest pan was 10 inch, so I bought a 12inch All-Clad that is my work horse and high-temp seering or stir fry pan. Even the cheaper Tramontina get good reviews (and more importantly good heat distribution in testing) because the All-Clad patent/tech was just that good it can now be duplicated with great results for cheap. All-Clad is superior quality still, but imo not worth the cost if you're cheap like I am, unless you're trying to impress or really beating up pans in a professional setting (and even still I'd honestly almost prefer 3 or 4 cheaper pans to be more disposable of sorts).

Also added a mid-size Cuisinart pot smaller than the larger stockpot that has drain holes on top. I wanted the size, but the gimmick of drain holes on top has been great, too.

For cast iron, I have a smoothed/machined Griswold 10inch that is amazing for everything from crisping tortillas to seering. My newer Lodge cast iron is annoying to work with. The factory seasoning sucks. It's rough, which some people claim doesn't effect the non-stick nature, but shit sticks to my rough Lodge cast irons no matter what in a way that never did with smoothed ones I learned to cook on as a kid (that I wish I still had). And the rough surface makes it obnoxiously loud to work with metal utensils in it. Some very nice/expensive brands machining the surface smooth or can do it oneself, or look to find an antique pan from Griswold or Wagner that will be far superior (and probably have all the lead leeched out by now? hah).

That said, cast iron baking sheets are amazing if treated like a baking stone for baking and expecting some cleanup for roasting. Have smaller ones we do bacon or biscuits on in the toaster oven. Large round pizza pan that works best treated as a baking stone. Even have cast iron bread loaf pans that are great for a better crust and faster cooking. And they'll all go on the stovetop to use as griddles, too. Otherwise just basic Nordic-ware is still king for baking.

Nonstick for anything in the kitchen is an abomination. Releasing toxins, teaching people bad/lazy habits, and not lasting nearly long enough to bother with them. Whether it's chemical coating style or marketing about some new and improved surface, it's just not worth bothering if you're at all serious about cooking/baking.
Lanx Lanx want to convert rest of my pots/pans to stainless. Should I stick with allclad or look at Cuisinart Multiclad Pro set or something else? Allclad running some steel discount sales on their website for some reason.

maybe this?

or maybe this

Last edited:

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Ordered your allclad recommendation. Thanks. Is this the spatula you’d recommend using with it? I’ve always used those plastic spatulas…
since youre going stainless theres no reason to use plastic/silicone anymore really, they were only invented as a limp wristed solution to protect the teflon coating
Lanx Lanx want to convert rest of my pots/pans to stainless. Should I stick with allclad or look at Cuisinart Multiclad Pro set or something else? Allclad running some steel discount sales on their website for some reason.

maybe this?

or maybe this

i mean i don't know how much you cook or what pots and pans you'll need/ currently do need thats really up to you. if you can swing for a set off all clad, sure, do note tho that these "sets" usually count the lid as a piece, so youre not really getting "much" cooking ware.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm starting to suspect you pop into various grownup threads with madeup scenarios and questions just so you can give the appearance playing by the rules.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Thoughts on enamel coated cast iron? My buddy is telling me stainless is for cooks who don’t have to clean their own pots.. Allegedly a huge pain to clean?

no cleaning stainless steel is easy, it's probably the easiest since you can do whatever you want to stainless steel.

actually i'm testing a method right now (easy off) yea the oven cleaner, works well, all you do is spray it on and wait 30mintutes, and it comes off, if it's really stuck on, spray again and wait...

another method is using baking soda in hot/boiling water, grime comes off

and another method i've used the most is bartenders friend, this gets off anything

for regular cleaning
just use a regular scrubbing sponge and dawn and you should be good, get a steel wool pad for an easy to clean spot stain

or even dishwasher, stainless steel is dishwasher safe

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
no cleaning stainless steel is easy, it's probably the easiest since you can do whatever you want to stainless steel.

actually i'm testing a method right now (easy off) yea the oven cleaner, works well, all you do is spray it on and wait 30mintutes, and it comes off, if it's really stuck on, spray again and wait...

another method is using baking soda in hot/boiling water, grime comes off

and another method i've used the most is bartenders friend, this gets off anything

for regular cleaning
just use a regular scrubbing sponge and dawn and you should be good, get a steel wool pad for an easy to clean spot stain

or even dishwasher, stainless steel is dishwasher safe

I would limit how much easy off cleaning you use. It can eventually start to pit stainless if used too much. I'd also hit it with an acid after cleaning like vinegar to neutralize it. That's what we do for our fryers after each boil out since we use a heavy caustic, which is what easy off basically is. You should only need to use easy off if its super burnt on black carbon.

• 1Like