Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I would limit how much easy off cleaning you use. It can eventually start to pit stainless if used too much. I'd also hit it with an acid after cleaning like vinegar to neutralize it. That's what we do for our fryers after each boil out since we use a heavy caustic, which is what easy off basically is. You should only need to use easy off if its super burnt on black carbon.
yea i should note i'm testing the easy off on the outside of the pots, like the bottoms where i let them get blackish (did not trust it for inside surface)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can avoid all the scouring altogether by just using cast iron. I don't really get why people want to use stainless when cast iron just works better?

• 1Picard

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You can avoid all the scouring altogether by just using cast iron. I don't really get why people want to use stainless when cast iron just works better?

Cast Iron is HEAVY, so when you're making sautees, or sauces, or anything that requires you to have to manipulate the pan itself while cooking, cast iron sucks.

Professional kitchens basically don't use cast iron, so... there's your answer.

Also, proper technique and cooking doesn't require scouring anyway. You can deglaze a stainless pan the same way you deglaze a cast iron one.....

Oh shit look at all this stuck on bullshit, guess I better heat this pan up and then just pour water on it and use a spatula to scrape it all away in seconds.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cast Iron also takes longer to heat up or cool down than stainless, which makes stainless more ideal for temperature sensitive dishes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It's very cheap to make is the point. Not sure what you're raging about.

Nobody is raging, fucktard.

The discussion was literally how the quality used to be superior to the shit they're making now. Shit product that is propping up our ideological and economic enemy. And your big brain point is that cheap shit products are cheap, and that's still only true if you can't think any deeper than one variable.

The problem is you have no ability for any nuance. You state idiotic simplistic facts that are technically true, but barely relevant or so obtuse it makes Xequel look like an honest broker, and then get confused when people boggle at the annoyance of your mundane contributions.

Ralph from the Simpsons in boomer form. The reason this country is going to shit and literally can't have nice things. If the issue were as simple as glass all just being melted sand we wouldn't be stuck with shit products with lead warnings made with slave labor that props up the economy of a communist government that wants us destroyed.

If it's just melted sand, then we'd all be swimming in high quality glass products instead of lamenting how glass used to be great but sucks so bad now people look for fucking antiques for daily use products.

But sure, the issue and valuable discussion is that Chinese manufacturing is cheaper, for now, than recycling or making our own glass. Thanks for sharing, Ralphy!

Now make another retarded, emotional appeal about me raging when I'm very calmly explaining why you're a dumb mother fucker who should probably balance out your karmic debt by finding a horse to kick in the head like I suspect happened to you as a child.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Cast iron pans don't have great design for some cooking with high, straight sides that trap in more moisture. Are a few pans with flared (?) sides like stainless steel, but are rare to find. It's apparently controversial as it's started a few arguments, but imo stainless steel is better for seering meat because of it, unless you're using a cast iron griddle or something without the standard high, straight sides.

I love cast iron for what it is, but people who pretend it's ideal or even good enough for all cooking or matches the versatility of stainless steel are bad cooks.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
a dude that barely cooks is NOT gonna be able to care for cast iron/carbon steel

• 1Truth!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Think of how many things you could put cottage cheese in. If only you cooked more.

• 2Worf
  • 2Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
OK , maybe you're right and I should start cooking more

What do you think Soygen Soygen ?

1675830927874.png

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

fresh

<Gold Donor>
The best knife for 90% of what needs to be done in the kitchen is a $7 Kiwi knife. I’ve stopped purchasing anything else for my crew, and have had no complaints.

Cast iron is really great for cooking for a small group, but does not scale well at all. I use it at home, but not at work. I wouldn’t recommend it for almost anyone.

You guys focus way too much on gadgets and fancy bullshit. Stop listening to Lanx.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
you find em in asian grocer
ba11c8a9ac5fd3a21a5bad50fcc4d06e.png

its like cutting w/ 3 sheets of paper

Seems kinda choppery. Maybe it's a personal failing, but I've never been able to get used to that style knife. Even Santoku knives feel clunky to me. Probably too white.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
no cleaning stainless steel is easy, it's probably the easiest since you can do whatever you want to stainless steel.

Well, not anything. Chlorine will oxidize stainless steel. So it’s better to avoid breaking out the pool chemicals if you can avoid it. People at my work learned that lesson when they sprayed down all the stainless steel machines with chlorine disinfectant at the start of the pandemic and they ended up rusting almost comically bad.

• 1Like