Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
the egg steamer is objectively one of the weirder single purpose gadgets i have laying around but it gets more use than say my rice noodle maker
a2af4688421a31c84d7bf40910840856.png

it's just taking up space, haven't used it since i moved here and it's in the cabinet i desinated for "grains" (rice cooker/pasta maker/bread machine) are all there.

i think the next fun thing to test out is if i want to get a hibachi grill
553f4fd4f4065afbf4bab9384c13cf3e.png
Actually I've looked at getting a hibachi and the appropriate coal to do what is it teppanyaki? It's that Japanese grilled chicken on skewers. If you do pick one up I'd appreciate a report.

Edit: yakitori is what I meant. Saw a pretty cool video not too long ago of a famous Japanese restaurant there with butchering an entire chicken and cooking all the organ meats, forever you skewer was supposed to be a different part of the chicken with different textures and flavors. Thought it might be something really fun to do. I'll hunt around for it. It was a pretty good watch, and really shows what you can do with just a simple whole chicken.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
While we're on the subject of gadgets, has anyone here used the meat grinder attachment for a kitchenaid? How does it compare to a decent dedicated grinder like a Cabela's Deluxe?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
While we're on the subject of gadgets, has anyone here used the meat grinder attachment for a kitchenaid? How does it compare to a decent dedicated grinder like a Cabela's Deluxe?

No where near as good. And a meat grinder attachment is hard on your kitchenaid, it works the motor harder than any other attachment. I would advise against the attachment and go for a dedicated grinder if you think you'll use it much.

• 2Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No where near as good. And a meat grinder attachment is hard on your kitchenaid, it works the motor harder than any other attachment. I would advise against the attachment and go for a dedicated grinder if you think you'll use it much.
Annoying but good to know, sounds like it definitely is not a viable option for handling the trim from carcass processing.

We've been buying meat bundles but we're not entirely satisfied with the results anymore and aside from just hopping around to different butchers hoping for a different result, all that's left is buying hog sides/beef quarters and butchering them at home. Which I'm aware is a lot of work, but I'm confident I could handle it even if my first attempt or two weren't very pretty.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Actually I've looked at getting a hibachi and the appropriate coal to do what is it teppanyaki? It's that Japanese grilled chicken on skewers. If you do pick one up I'd appreciate a report.

Edit: yakitori is what I meant. Saw a pretty cool video not too long ago of a famous Japanese restaurant there with butchering an entire chicken and cooking all the organ meats, forever you skewer was supposed to be a different part of the chicken with different textures and flavors. Thought it might be something really fun to do. I'll hunt around for it. It was a pretty good watch, and really shows what you can do with just a simple whole chicken.
yea the coal is this
0027eac62871e5c5f23ae28ddc15e75d.png

i have my doubts on if i want to test w/ the binchotan charcoal (even tho it does do what it says, cook longer at a steady rate w/ no smoke)

this video has a nice vs. test, also he's a good guy to watch if youre "getting into" yakitori

one thing i'd recommend you get right away if youre gonna yakitori is get some flat skewers
0b96804bfff02d07e12973e7b1f5eb3d.png

when you put em on the grill, they won't be rolling away and theyre stronger too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
You can do small quantities of things but don't plan on grinding all of your bits and pieces from a deer carcass, or making 20 lb of sausage. It's okay for maybe grinding up a chuck roast to make fresh burger meat or something, but like lurkingdirk lurkingdirk said, you're better off running a dedicated machine.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea the coal is this
0027eac62871e5c5f23ae28ddc15e75d.png

i have my doubts on if i want to test w/ the binchotan charcoal (even tho it does do what it says, cook longer at a steady rate w/ no smoke)

this video has a nice vs. test, also he's a good guy to watch if youre "getting into" yakitori

one thing i'd recommend you get right away if youre gonna yakitori is get some flat skewers
0b96804bfff02d07e12973e7b1f5eb3d.png

when you put em on the grill, they won't be rolling away and theyre stronger too.
B&B actually has a cylindrical charcoal like that now, I think it's maybe 25 bucks a bag or something. It's obviously not the same wood, but I think it's supposed to be long burning and clean. I saw it at academy the last time I had popped in there, and debated on picking up a bag, but opted for their regular lump. I'd be curious if it would do the same thing.

Found that video I was thinking of earlier:

• 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems kinda choppery. Maybe it's a personal failing, but I've never been able to get used to that style knife. Even Santoku knives feel clunky to me. Probably too white.
Well, our Algorithmic overlords are like 2 weeks late, but what just popped into my feed?

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I have a hand grinder (old school), the attachment for my KitchenAid (I actually like it for small batch sausage making, think five to ten pounds), but the big lem, is much better for larger scale tasks, not that I have used it in the past 7 years, as I gave it to my nephew for processing his venison.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
not quite yakitori but we do this fairly often in the spring and fall, this is from tonight, pork steak for me and center cut for the old lady:

1676859994927.png

got it for camping but use it at our place more often, in spots I don't wanna put in a perma fire pit

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have a hand crank grinder that I inherited. I didn't grind up much meat. Most stuff I wanted ground up went to the butcher. Send off a hog with enough deer to mix in to make sausage. I have never done a cow, those always go to the butcher and I pick it up. I'm sure the heavy duty electric ones work better but I don't think I used the hand one enough to justify the cost. From what people have told me there's a fair number of electric ones on the market that flat suck.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Made surf and turf pasta last night for a late Valentine's. Grilled shrimp, scallops, lobster, with pappardelle and Alfredo sauce. Kind of became a tradition to do a seafood pasta of some sort since I met the wife. First meal I ever cooked for, and it's sort of evolved over the years based upon what ingredients were available. Decided to add the steak this year because I had a couple of small fillets floating around in the freezer. Pasta was a little more al dente then I prefer but we both enjoyed it. I know my plating skills kind of suck, something I'm trying to work on. Hey as long as it tastes good.

IMG_20230219_210627302.jpg

• 4Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Made surf and turf pasta last night for a late Valentine's. Grilled shrimp, scallops, lobster, with pappardelle and Alfredo sauce. Kind of became a tradition to do a seafood pasta of some sort since I met the wife. First meal I ever cooked for, and it's sort of evolved over the years based upon what ingredients were available. Decided to add the steak this year because I had a couple of small fillets floating around in the freezer. Pasta was a little more al dente then I prefer but we both enjoyed it. I know my plating skills kind of suck, something I'm trying to work on. Hey as long as it tastes good.

View attachment 459718

Parsley falling off edge of plate 2/10 would not eat

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Parsley falling off edge of plate 2/10 would not eat
Arugula... I just like bitter greens with a rich alfredo sauce. I do go kind of heavy-handed on it, but it tastes good, and always Spritz a little bit of lemon juice and maybe a drizzle of olive oil on it to make sort of a pseudo salad.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Arugula... I just like bitter greens with a rich alfredo sauce. I do go kind of heavy-handed on it, but it tastes good, and always Spritz a little bit of lemon juice and maybe a drizzle of olive oil on it to make sort of a pseudo salad.

Try it with some broccoli rabe next time

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Try it with some broccoli rabe next time
That stuff's tough to find. I've had in a few times but that's always been at a restaurant. The other thing is ramps. I think it's supposed to be a natural or wild garlic green and they grow in a very specific season I think during the spring, but they're supposed to be delicious. I've never been able to find them, but would love to incorporate them into my cooking. I think they're supposed to be kind of garlicky and bitter but I don't know because I've never gotten a chance to try them.

We just buy the wild arugula because it's cheap and I like that bitter peppery flavor the balance out richer things.