Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

How do we feel about frog legs?
Delicious. We used to go frog gigging when I was growing up in New Orleans. Get your trident and a high beam flashlight, shine it on them, and spear them at night. Golf courses were the best places to go, just need to be friends with the security guard.

They really do taste like chicken, but the texture is different. True coonass cuisine, and I'm nowhere near Cajun.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
24hr marinated galbi on the hibachi grill

0308232053_HDR.jpg

note these chops are huge, i cut them from a pork shoulder i was smoking

• 2Quality Calories
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx Thoughts on butter sprayers?

View attachment 463942

I think I want a butter sprayer.
yea i remember that thing on shark tank a few years ago, as with any spray bottle of fats and oils, it will and does get clogged

sometimes you can clean and reuse, sometimes it's just dead, only w/ a spray bottle it's just 10$ for a new bottle, this thing is like a hundred bucks everytime.

just use a level 2 felony weapon
f05837d8222c5394d9099a6d865f7660.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
yea i remember that thing on shark tank a few years ago, as with any spray bottle of fats and oils, it will and does get clogged

sometimes you can clean and reuse, sometimes it's just dead, only w/ a spray bottle it's just 10$ for a new bottle, this thing is like a hundred bucks everytime.

just use a level 2 felony weapon
f05837d8222c5394d9099a6d865f7660.png
hiayaa

imageedit_114_8117152828.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck that. You should apply enough melty butter that it changes not just the taste but the texture of the bread/toast.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Butter sprayer? Gag. Just buy foil wrapped butter chips. Quick enough to soften in your hands and easily portable to inlaws that eat fake butter oil spread that is disgusting. Yeah, that's right losers, I brought my own butter.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
using lump charcoal on hibachi grill is amazing, not only does it "feel" hotter (i'll test this next time, 1 side briquettes, 1 side lump w/ gun) it lasts 2 - 3x longer than briquettes.

now i'm interested in the binochan charcoal
04030ac8c3b78fa8913b05416efbc0a4.png

but not at these prices

also i have no idea why or how this is even profitable, but amazon has lump charcoal for like less than a 1$ a pound

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
using lump charcoal on hibachi grill is amazing, not only does it "feel" hotter (i'll test this next time, 1 side briquettes, 1 side lump w/ gun) it lasts 2 - 3x longer than briquettes.

now i'm interested in the binochan charcoal
04030ac8c3b78fa8913b05416efbc0a4.png

but not at these prices

also i have no idea why or how this is even profitable, but amazon has lump charcoal for like less than a 1$ a pound
I thought you were using the super duper Japanese coal. B&b has some of those cylindrical charcoal. I know the woods going to be different, but it might be a good option. You can pick it up from academy. I bought a bag not too long ago and for doing barbecue and smoking type stuff I'm learning that it burns a little bit differently but man does it stay lit for a long time.

IMG_20230318_104704164_HDR.jpg

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Made corned beef and cabbage last night with colcannon. Managed to find more of a point piece. I don't necessarily boil it but I braise it covered in a foil tray for a good long while with beer, stock, and aromatics. Threw a link of kielbasa in there towards the end for some pork fat and tasty sausage. Before roasting, browned it after rubbing it with small spice and garlic pepper, deglaze the pan with a little bit of whiskey and stock.

Slow braised some cabbage and bacon, and whipped up the colcannon (taters, kale, leeks, and parsley). Horseradish sauce to finish everything. Turned out great, and I'm looking forward to leftovers.

IMG_20230317_223143676.jpg

I know my plating still leaves a lot to be desired, but we got a big cold snap here in Texas and was honestly the perfect meal after a rainy day.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I thought you were using the super duper Japanese coal. B&b has some of those cylindrical charcoal. I know the woods going to be different, but it might be a good option. You can pick it up from academy. I bought a bag not too long ago and for doing barbecue and smoking type stuff I'm learning that it burns a little bit differently but man does it stay lit for a long time.

View attachment 464168
oh cool i didn't know b&b made some

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
oh cool i didn't know b&b made some
Yeah I didn't either except the last time I pop by academy to look for shoes, I needed to pick up some smoking wood and typically I'll buy some lump charcoal because they've got decent prices and a nice selection. Decided to spend a little bit more to grab that type and don't remember what I paid but it's definitely more expensive.

I've been happy with it, but it's a little different then regular lump or briquettes. Haven't used it much lately and I'm still getting used to it, but it burns for a hell of a lot longer than anything else, and seems to get much hotter temperatures. I guess it's all coming down to the quantity I need for the amount of heat I'm wanting to produce.

I can't imagine it wouldn't work well for your hibachi.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I didn't either except the last time I pop by academy to look for shoes, I needed to pick up some smoking wood and typically I'll buy some lump charcoal because they've got decent prices and a nice selection. Decided to spend a little bit more to grab that type and don't remember what I paid but it's definitely more expensive.

I've been happy with it, but it's a little different then regular lump or briquettes. Haven't used it much lately and I'm still getting used to it, but it burns for a hell of a lot longer than anything else, and seems to get much hotter temperatures. I guess it's all coming down to the quantity I need for the amount of heat I'm wanting to produce.

I can't imagine it wouldn't work well for your hibachi.
looks like i have to special order it from academy, eh i can wait, it's better than traveling further out to ace to get some

• 1Like