Gravy's Cooking Thread

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
she was also centimeters away from being filled w/ glass
ddada9ae30ee907ef16e2207854c3830.png

while it was on!
Metal spatulas on non-stick pans, incredibly poor knife skills and improper use of mandolins are usually the worst things that really get me when watching people cook, this now wins. Pretty sure, if someone was mildly unlucky, this could actually kill them.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Metal spatulas on non-stick pans, incredibly poor knife skills and improper use of mandolins are usually the worst things that really get me when watching people cook, this now wins. Pretty sure, if someone was mildly unlucky, this could actually kill them.

Looks like a CSI crime scene analyzing blood spray patterns

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looks like a CSI crime scene analyzing blood spray patterns

this is even more dumber when the nutribullet is one of those that you seal it off, flip it upside down to use it
4-blades-on-Nutribullet_wehjfm.jpg

so she left the spoon, closed the lid/blade, flipped it upside down onto the bullet, and

pushed down, and blam.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice vid if you enjoy shopping at restaurant supply stores like "US Foods CHEF'STORE" and wonder at the 'proper' way to handle some of these 20-30lb chunks of flesh.

Overall I tend to be less picky than most youtube butchers. I see them take so many bits off just so the steak is pleasingly shaped; or cutting out the chewy bits off a 4hr slow roast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nice vid if you enjoy shopping at restaurant supply stores like "US Foods CHEF'STORE" and wonder at the 'proper' way to handle some of these 20-30lb chunks of flesh.

Overall I tend to be less picky than most youtube butchers. I see them take so many bits off just so the steak is pleasingly shaped; or cutting out the chewy bits off a 4hr slow roast.

the youtube butchers are retards, they trim for presentation, competition and "i wouldn't serve this in my restaurant"

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the youtube butchers are retards, they trim for presentation, competition and "i wouldn't serve this in my restaurant"
Seems like that depends on the butcher. I've watched a series of carcass processing guides by The Bearded Butchers and the dude will mention that something needs to be cleaned up before going into the display case but he just moves on to the next part of the demonstration.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
had to delay my brisket a day, cuz of tornado!

gonna try goldie method

if you haven't watched the goldie doc, it's a nice brisket shop doc

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
had to delay my brisket a day, cuz of tornado!

gonna try goldie method

if you haven't watched the goldie doc, it's a nice brisket shop doc
The Goldie's guy has been on the Meat Church channel in the past. Think that's where I first heard of them.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to cook next weekend for Easter now that I'm back home.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The Goldie's guy has been on the Meat Church channel in the past. Think that's where I first heard of them.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to cook next weekend for Easter now that I'm back home.
goldie method seems to be gear towards restaurant cooking than home cooks (if you watch the interviews they even say, it's geared towards wrapping last cuz of the time crunch)

i'll say it seems to have kept the flat more moist, i'll try again next, next month

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
goldie method seems to be gear towards restaurant cooking than home cooks (if you watch the interviews they even say, it's geared towards wrapping last cuz of the time crunch)

i'll say it seems to have kept the flat more moist, i'll try again next, next month
We're you just not that impressed with the results?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
it didn't blow me away, but i'll still try it again next time.
What do you think it was lacking? I just know it's supposed to be the bee's knees when it comes to cooking brisket nowadays if you believe all the dumb shit on the internet. Just curious what could have been better specifically or maybe what to avoid trying to do if you're going to invest the time in smoking a brisket.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What do you think it was lacking? I just know it's supposed to be the bee's knees when it comes to cooking brisket nowadays if you believe all the dumb shit on the internet. Just curious what could have been better specifically or maybe what to avoid trying to do if you're going to invest the time in smoking a brisket.
yea thats probably it, the time invested? i'm going to rework it to a more home cook thing. i'm sure we all mostly agree that smoking (putting on the bark, infusing smoke flavor) is done by the 6hr mark, you can't shove more smoke in there once the bark is formed. so usually i just butcher wrap and put it in the oven for 12hrs on 220. then turn off the oven and let it rest in there for another hour or 2.

w/ the goldies i kept in the smoker for 20hrs, but it was annoying babying the fire for that long, then foil wrapping it and putting it in the oven for 110.

next time i'll smoke for 6, transfer it to a 220 oven unwrapped for another 12 then wrap towards the end.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea thats probably it, the time invested? i'm going to rework it to a more home cook thing. i'm sure we all mostly agree that smoking (putting on the bark, infusing smoke flavor) is done by the 6hr mark, you can't shove more smoke in there once the bark is formed. so usually i just butcher wrap and put it in the oven for 12hrs on 220. then turn off the oven and let it rest in there for another hour or 2.

w/ the goldies i kept in the smoker for 20hrs, but it was annoying babying the fire for that long, then foil wrapping it and putting it in the oven for 110.

next time i'll smoke for 6, transfer it to a 220 oven unwrapped for another 12 then wrap towards the end.
Man I know I really want to smoke a brisket soon just to see what I can do. I haven't done a whole packer in a long time, but now want to see what the best method might be with the equipment I have. We had to figure out some weird method to do a barbecue cook-off across the forum or something. I don't know how the hell you'd go about it, but it'd be something fun to try.

Already pulled a couple of hams out of the freezer that needed to get cooked for Easter this weekend. I normally make porchetta, and ended up getting everything I need to try to turn the hands into porchetta, so we'll see how this experiment goes.

I do think I'm going to have to just find a brisket on the cheap, and cook one soon.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Normally make gumbo couple times a year, and we had some colder weather coming in, so figured might as well. The wife had bought some smoked pork neck that was on sale at HEB it's kind of a mystery ingredient type deal we've been trying just to change things up with dishes.

Went ahead and grabbed some chicken thighs, shrimp, andouille, and some other smoked sausage we had sitting around in the freezer. I've been using the baked flour method where you roast a whole bunch of flour and a cast iron skillet in the oven for a couple of hours. You can jar the stuff up, and use however much you need whenever. Still had quite a bit left from the last time I made gumbo, and man does it make it easy just to get your roux going. I can't tell the difference between making a fresh batch of root versus using this method, and it's virtually foolproof. Pretty much makes gumbo into a weeknight meal versus an all afternoon affair.

Turned out great and made enough to give a few jars away to the neighbors who all reported back positively. Was really happy with the pork neck, and I think cooking it for a while broke down all that collagen and fat, and the meat itself was delectable, only problem is you had to pick bones and stuff out but whatever. No different if I use a whole chicken I have to pick the bones out from there. I think the next time I make gumbo I'll either use that or maybe pick up a ham hock the toss them for extra flavor.

IMG_20230404_184429333_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230404_221823658~2.jpg

IMG_20230404_222047092_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 5Quality Calories
Reactions: 10 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Man I know I really want to smoke a brisket soon just to see what I can do. I haven't done a whole packer in a long time, but now want to see what the best method might be with the equipment I have. We had to figure out some weird method to do a barbecue cook-off across the forum or something. I don't know how the hell you'd go about it, but it'd be something fun to try.

Already pulled a couple of hams out of the freezer that needed to get cooked for Easter this weekend. I normally make porchetta, and ended up getting everything I need to try to turn the hands into porchetta, so we'll see how this experiment goes.

I do think I'm going to have to just find a brisket on the cheap, and cook one soon.
nation wide it'd be either costco or restaurant food suppliers, i've made nice w/ my kroger meat dept and come in and ask when the next brisket sale is gonna be, it used to be 1.99$/lb, but biden it's now 2.99/lb and the interval is less so i stock up when it's lit

• 1Solidarity