Gravy's Cooking Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Normally make gumbo couple times a year, and we had some colder weather coming in, so figured might as well. The wife had bought some smoked pork neck that was on sale at HEB it's kind of a mystery ingredient type deal we've been trying just to change things up with dishes.

Went ahead and grabbed some chicken thighs, shrimp, andouille, and some other smoked sausage we had sitting around in the freezer. I've been using the baked flour method where you roast a whole bunch of flour and a cast iron skillet in the oven for a couple of hours. You can jar the stuff up, and use however much you need whenever. Still had quite a bit left from the last time I made gumbo, and man does it make it easy just to get your roux going. I can't tell the difference between making a fresh batch of root versus using this method, and it's virtually foolproof. Pretty much makes gumbo into a weeknight meal versus an all afternoon affair.

Turned out great and made enough to give a few jars away to the neighbors who all reported back positively. Was really happy with the pork neck, and I think cooking it for a while broke down all that collagen and fat, and the meat itself was delectable, only problem is you had to pick bones and stuff out but whatever. No different if I use a whole chicken I have to pick the bones out from there. I think the next time I make gumbo I'll either use that or maybe pick up a ham hock the toss them for extra flavor.

View attachment 467699 View attachment 467700

View attachment 467701
We use smoked neck bones all the time to make Fejouada. Brazillian black bean stew. I love the neck bones over hocks any day of the week. Never even thought about using smoked shit, other then sausage, in gumbo though, might give it a try.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
We use smoked neck bones all the time to make Fejouada. Brazillian black bean stew. I love the neck bones over hocks any day of the week. Never even thought about using smoked shit, other then sausage, in gumbo though, might give it a try.
Yeah, only ever used smoked sausage or maybe taso before. I think mom used to use smoked ham hock in red beans and rice or white beans and rice. Was really happy with the results in the gumbo, and glad it'll be part of our repertoire from now on.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Easter dinner upcoming:

starting with a smoked cheese and sausage course. All cheese made within 10 miles of here, I made the sausage myself (venison and pork)

smoked lamb legs (one of my own, home grown lambs, killed and hung 9 days ago, fully processed yesterday. Lots of meat, very happy). Mustard and pepper bark. Smoking it for 14 hours because it's so thick and is still bone in.

garlic mashed potatoes (garlic and potatoes grown here)

pomegranate apple salad (apples grown here), with goat cheese made down the road

home made bread, several types, done on the grill

salmon cooked on cedar planks

asparagus with garlic and spec. wish they were local, wrong season

home grown cabbage braised in duck fat

finishing with bread pudding in a whiskey sauce
also available is panna cotta with blueberry compote (we grew the blueberries, neighbour gave us the milk, whole and unprocessed)

I'm horny for dinner.

• 2Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
All sounds pretty good. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around cabbage confit. I don't have an analogue and all I keep thinking is greasy cabbage.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm having...salami, bologna, and havarti sliders on everything seasoned brioche buns, so fancy sammiches. My sister is hosting this year and I've had a sore throat for two days straight so I didn't want to go over there and spread a cold (or worse) around to everyone. I'll undoubtedly have access to some bitching leftovers this evening but it sucks missing family get togethers. Which is kinda funny because for so many years I avoided them like the plague.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
All sounds pretty good. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around cabbage confit. I don't have an analogue and all I keep thinking is greasy cabbage.

Keep the center core on, get things hot, and it stays pretty good on texture and extremely good on flavour. When it's nearly done I'll put chicken stock on it (just a little), season it again, and it doesn't feel/taste greasy at all.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm having...salami, bologna, and havarti sliders on everything seasoned brioche buns, so fancy sammiches. My sister is hosting this year and I've had a sore throat for two days straight so I didn't want to go over there and spread a cold (or worse) around to everyone. I'll undoubtedly have access to some bitching leftovers this evening but it sucks missing family get togethers. Which is kinda funny because for so many years I avoided them like the plague.

That sucks. Hope you feel better soon. Glad you're not spreading the plague or whatever.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Easter dinner upcoming:

starting with a smoked cheese and sausage course. All cheese made within 10 miles of here, I made the sausage myself (venison and pork)

smoked lamb legs (one of my own, home grown lambs, killed and hung 9 days ago, fully processed yesterday. Lots of meat, very happy). Mustard and pepper bark. Smoking it for 14 hours because it's so thick and is still bone in.

garlic mashed potatoes (garlic and potatoes grown here)

pomegranate apple salad (apples grown here), with goat cheese made down the road

home made bread, several types, done on the grill

salmon cooked on cedar planks

asparagus with garlic and spec. wish they were local, wrong season

home grown cabbage braised in duck fat

finishing with bread pudding in a whiskey sauce
also available is panna cotta with blueberry compote (we grew the blueberries, neighbour gave us the milk, whole and unprocessed)

I'm horny for dinner.
Pics mother fucker! Sounds good though, enjoy.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
For Easter, pulled a couple of hams out of the freezer that needed to be used up, and rubbed them down with a lot of fennel, Rosemary, another porchetta type aromatics, bit of brown sugar and let them sit for a couple of days. I'm not a super huge fan of ham, but this was more of an experiment to see if I could take a normal ham and elevate it. Roasted it in a foil tray on the grill with some peroni beer, and just basted often. Had some good mustard sitting around to dip with.

Make baked macaroni and cheese but put an Italian sort of twist with a bunch of ricotta and other Italian cheeses. Not the best I've ever made but the wife loved it. She made a white bean salad we've really been enjoying with fennel, kale, and a lemon vinaigrette. We were going to make caprese salad put some good heirloom tomatoes,but ended up feeling lazy and will make it with the leftovers tonight.

I just remember growing up mom always made ham and macaroni and cheese and stuff on Easter, so I figured I'd use up what I got floating around. Ended up making a blackberry cobbler and vanilla ice cream to go with everything. Everything was pretty simple, and now we got plenty of ham to make sandwiches and stuff.

IMG_20230409_194029055_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230409_194114604~2.jpg

IMG_20230409_194135867~2.jpg

Not near as fancy as what lurkingdirk lurkingdirk made for his family ( which I'm jealous of your menu by the way), but all in all turned out enjoyable. The bean salad has been something we've been doing a lot of and man I can eat that stuff almost everyday. We'll also thin sliced radishes or daikon the throw in it, or good fresh cucumbers. I was never a fan of butter beans growing up but for some reason I'm really enjoying them now.

• 7Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 7 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Did you cook the lamb medium rare?

How else would one cook lamb? It sided closer to rare. Took it to 125 while in the smoker, then wrapped it in foil for 45 minutes, it didn't heat up more than that it seems. Lovely pink center and a good bark on the outside. Very happy.

For Easter, pulled a couple of hams out of the freezer that needed to be used up, and rubbed them down with a lot of fennel, Rosemary, another porchetta type aromatics, bit of brown sugar and let them sit for a couple of days. I'm not a super huge fan of ham, but this was more of an experiment to see if I could take a normal ham and elevate it. Roasted it in a foil tray on the grill with some peroni beer, and just basted often. Had some good mustard sitting around to dip with.

Make baked macaroni and cheese but put an Italian sort of twist with a bunch of ricotta and other Italian cheeses. Not the best I've ever made but the wife loved it. She made a white bean salad we've really been enjoying with fennel, kale, and a lemon vinaigrette. We were going to make caprese salad put some good heirloom tomatoes,but ended up feeling lazy and will make it with the leftovers tonight.

I just remember growing up mom always made ham and macaroni and cheese and stuff on Easter, so I figured I'd use up what I got floating around. Ended up making a blackberry cobbler and vanilla ice cream to go with everything. Everything was pretty simple, and now we got plenty of ham to make sandwiches and stuff.

View attachment 468362

View attachment 468363
View attachment 468364

Not near as fancy as what lurkingdirk lurkingdirk made for his family ( which I'm jealous of your menu by the way), but all in all turned out enjoyable. The bean salad has been something we've been doing a lot of and man I can eat that stuff almost everyday. We'll also thin sliced radishes or daikon the throw in it, or good fresh cucumbers. I was never a fan of butter beans growing up but for some reason I'm really enjoying them now.

Dude, that ham looks amazeballs. And can you give me the recipe for your bean salad? My wife loves that sort of thing.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
How else would one cook lamb? It sided closer to rare. Took it to 125 while in the smoker, then wrapped it in foil for 45 minutes, it didn't heat up more than that it seems. Lovely pink center and a good bark on the outside. Very happy.

Dude, that ham looks amazeballs. And can you give me the recipe for your bean salad? My wife loves that sort of thing.
IMG_20230410_173618338.jpg

Don't hesitate to use canned beans. Makes a hell of a lot easier for just doing a week night meal and adding a side dish.

We just use the recipe is an inspiration. We always add different aromatics or herbs, and whatever types of cans of beans available. I've done a southwestern version with roasted poblano and pinto and black beans. Lots of cilantro and lime juice. It just depends on what flavor you're looking for and whatever the hell you're pairing it with. I don't typically add the salami in it, but yeah obviously could if you wanted to do more of a heartier salad and maybe some fresh mozzarella or something. I guess you could even fry up bacon and toss it in there if you were going a different route with your flavor profile and beans and what have you.

Anyways make it your own and enjoy

Edit: forgot we actually grilled some endives last night over the coals, and I sliced it up to go in the salad. Was really delicious just having that charred bitter green to go with the creaminess of the beans. Point being is you can mix whatever the hell you want and it's, just all about balancing shit out.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
View attachment 468405
Don't hesitate to use canned beans. Makes a hell of a lot easier for just doing a week night meal and adding a side dish.

We just use the recipe is an inspiration. We always add different aromatics or herbs, and whatever types of cans of beans available. I've done a southwestern version with roasted poblano and pinto and black beans. Lots of cilantro and lime juice. It just depends on what flavor you're looking for and whatever the hell you're pairing it with. I don't typically add the salami in it, but yeah obviously could if you wanted to do more of a heartier salad and maybe some fresh mozzarella or something. I guess you could even fry up bacon and toss it in there if you were going a different route with your flavor profile and beans and what have you.

Anyways make it your own and enjoy

Edit: forgot we actually grilled some endives last night over the coals, and I sliced it up to go in the salad. Was really delicious just having that charred bitter green to go with the creaminess of the beans. Point being is you can mix whatever the hell you want and it's, just all about balancing shit out.

you = awesome.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I don't really like cumin so that might have something to do with it.
Why? Reason I ask is I know people that say it smells like sweaty Mexicans. Does that kind of describe why you don't like it?

It's definitely a different flavor for spice, but one of the best meals I ever had in my life was at a Chinese restaurant in Charleston South Carolina. Apparently there's a Mongolian style dry fried lamb dish with lots of cumin. Wife had taken me there when we were dating, and it was the first time I ever found it on a menu. Was utterly delicious, and I just found out that place is actually closing down after it being a local hit for Lord knows how long. I tried to replicate it but you've got to get the whole cumin seed and I haven't found the good fresh stuff, and you got to get your damn walk ripping hot. Lanx Lanx knows what I'm talking about.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why? Reason I ask is I know people that say it smells like sweaty Mexicans. Does that kind of describe why you don't like it?

It's definitely a different flavor for spice, but one of the best meals I ever had in my life was at a Chinese restaurant in Charleston South Carolina. Apparently there's a Mongolian style dry fried lamb dish with lots of cumin. Wife had taken me there when we were dating, and it was the first time I ever found it on a menu. Was utterly delicious, and I just found out that place is actually closing down after it being a local hit for Lord knows how long. I tried to replicate it but you've got to get the whole cumin seed and I haven't found the good fresh stuff, and you got to get your damn walk ripping hot. Lanx Lanx knows what I'm talking about.
as w/ most all chinese stir fry it'll be your combination of soy/oyster marinade and cornstarch, did you also include sichuan peppercorn? that might be what you were missing.