Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
as w/ most all chinese stir fry it'll be your combination of soy/oyster marinade and cornstarch, did you also include sichuan peppercorn? that might be what you were missing.
No, I think it's just because I can't get a wok hot enough. I'll have to find the recipe I followed and I think it was something Kenji Lopez head posted on serious eats way way back in the day. That's where I had heard about the dish and then when I found it on a menu I finally got a chance to have it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Indians use the shit out of cumin and cumin seeds in their cuisines. And I love me some Idian. Covid shut down all the all you can eat places around me, I used to frequent often, several times a week. They are still around but no all you can eat and who the fuck knows what to order in those places by name, lol. I just saw some good looking slop and ate it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No, I think it's just because I can't get a wok hot enough. I'll have to find the recipe I followed and I think it was something Kenji Lopez head posted on serious eats way way back in the day. That's where I had heard about the dish and then when I found it on a menu I finally got a chance to have it.
maybe try adding a good amount of oil to start the stir fry, almost like youre deep frying it to seal in the marinade

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
For Easter we noped out of family dinner and I made a vaguely Asian noodle dish. Was basically a drunken noodle sauce with yakisoba noodles and no protein because I forgot to take anything out. Was good enough.

The fun thing is we were making egg rolls out of leftover pulled pork, but didn't have regular wrappers. I love cha gio with the rice paper so used that instead. Oops. First batch exploded, stuck together, tore open. Apparently with rice paper you have to fry twice, first time much lower or they explode.

Overall shit show but good times.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
nation wide it'd be either costco or restaurant food suppliers, i've made nice w/ my kroger meat dept and come in and ask when the next brisket sale is gonna be, it used to be 1.99$/lb, but biden it's now 2.99/lb and the interval is less so i stock up when it's lit
Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded i just checked out costco and they have whole briskets for 3.49/lb, the difference tho is that these are prime whereas kroger is choice for 2.99/lb (at least my area)

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded i just checked out costco and they have whole briskets for 3.49/lb, the difference tho is that these are prime whereas kroger is choice for 2.99/lb (at least my area)
May have to renew my membership. We just never shop there enough to warrant keeping it active. I know they've got some pretty good deals on other things like cheeses and sometimes fish, and their meat if I'm not mistaken is all either choice or prime. Think the a last set of tires for my truck I got from there.

I'll have to check to see what H-E-B is currently running, but it sounds like Costco might be cheaper

Did fall out a waygu chuck roast to cook this weekend. Watched an America's test kitchen video the other day where they took a chuck roast and trussed it up and itno a cylindrical shape and treated it like a Sunday roast. Probably going to cook it tomorrow, and will report back. I reverse your them before and then just sliced them, but I want to see if maybe changing the shape might get some pretty good results. If I can get a cheaper version of prime rib, I'm all for it, and I don't think I paid but maybe $20 for the wagyu.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
May have to renew my membership. We just never shop there enough to warrant keeping it active. I know they've got some pretty good deals on other things like cheeses and sometimes fish, and their meat if I'm not mistaken is all either choice or prime. Think the a last set of tires for my truck I got from there.

I'll have to check to see what H-E-B is currently running, but it sounds like Costco might be cheaper

Did fall out a waygu chuck roast to cook this weekend. Watched an America's test kitchen video the other day where they took a chuck roast and trussed it up and itno a cylindrical shape and treated it like a Sunday roast. Probably going to cook it tomorrow, and will report back. I reverse your them before and then just sliced them, but I want to see if maybe changing the shape might get some pretty good results. If I can get a cheaper version of prime rib, I'm all for it, and I don't think I paid but maybe $20 for the wagyu.
i nabbed a rack of beef ribs, i might play w/ it this weekend, only b/c my freezers are full now

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i nabbed a rack of beef ribs, i might play w/ it this weekend, only b/c my freezers are full now
I've been clearing stuff out and looking to restock.

Yeah HEB had baby backs on sale through Easter and I bought two racks for maybe $6 $7 a rack. They also had pork butts for 87 cents a pound if I'm remembering correctly and I bought a couple of those. I think I even posted that deal. I ran to the grocery store earlier and grabbed a whole pork loin for a $1.97 a pound, so it's been about 15 bucks on about 8 lb of meat. I know Costco is always had a really good prices on those, but that's the best deal I've seen on them in a while with my local chain.

I got a lot of stuff specifically pork to burn through over the next handful of months, but I'm hard-pressed not to go ahead and buy a nice piece of meat when I can get a good deal on it especially in this day and age.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What do you do with pork loin? I always want to buy it because it's so cheap but there is no drier, less flavorful piece of meat on the planet. Even chicken breast has more flavor than that shit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What do you do with pork loin? I always want to buy it because it's so cheap but there is no drier, less flavorful piece of meat on the planet. Even chicken breast has more flavor than that shit.
pork wellington

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Plop it in a slow cooker and turn it into pulled pork for bbq?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

We usually drench it in olive oil and garlic, roast it, and eat it with some greens like spinach, asparagus, or brocoli rabe. For tail gating we'd slice it thin and make sandwiches loaded up with loin and rabe.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I typically just roast on the grill. I just watch my temps and when I'm hitting about 140 I'll go ahead and pull it off, and carry over will get it past edible temperatures. The other thing you can do is just cut it in the pork chops and then fry those up, or pound them out and make schnitzel. How you can take it slice it thin and use it for stir fry. I know Lanx Lanx posted a velveting method for chicken I think, you probably do the same thing with the pork. Just treat the damn thing like a primal, and the sky's the limit. If I'm roasting it whole day I season very liberally and typically dry brine it overnight. Just use whatever the hell you like.

It is not the cut for brazing, and if you throw it into a slow cooker or anything like that it's going to get mealey and dry, despite all the liquid.

I always try to buy the fattiest one I can find though and I don't do any trimming. I think the last big one I bought I had cut it in a three sections, rolled it out and made porchetta, then brought it to my physical therapy clinic for the folks working there as a thank you. Gave them specific instructions on cooking it in the oven and sounds like it was a smashing success.

The tenderloins are a different ball game. You really have to be watching your shit not to screw them up but again it's all about monitoring temps, they're just not as forgiving.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Plop it in a slow cooker and turn it into pulled pork for bbq?
You can do that with a pork butt but don't even try to do with the tenderloin it'll just be disgusting. You need a hell of a lot more fat and connective tissue to break down, and you're not going to find that on a pork loin.

• 2Solidarity

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I find that the tenderloins aren't bad just grilled but the loin is just too lean. I like the idea of pounding it out for schnitzel though. Might give that a shot.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You can do that with a pork butt but don't even try to do with the tenderloin it'll just be disgusting. You need a hell of a lot more fat and connective tissue to break down, and you're not going to find that on a pork loin.

This is also why pork shoulder blade steaks are better than loin chops. I don't understand why the steaks are cheaper than the chops but I'm glad they are.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I find that the tenderloins aren't bad just grilled but the loin is just too lean. I like the idea of pounding it out for schnitzel though. Might give that a shot.
Yeah if I do The tenderloins it's typically just grilled, and then sliced on the bias. I've screwed them up enough times, but when you got to dialed in they're nice and tender.

HEB has been selling a ribeye roast of pork, or at least that's what they're calling them. I can typically get one for maybe five or six bucks, and we'll get a few meals out of it, but they're even better than a loin. Not necessarily sure where the hell they're pulling that cut from, but there's a little bit more connective tissue and quite a bit more fat, which is fine by me. There's a noticeable difference in flavor between it and a standard pork loin and I'm guessing that's because of whatever muscle group is coming from. I can probably look it up and figure out what the hell it is but whatever.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah if I do The tenderloins it's typically just grilled, and then sliced on the bias. I've screwed them up enough times, but when you got to dialed in they're nice and tender.

HEB has been selling a ribeye roast of pork, or at least that's what they're calling them. I can typically get one for maybe five or six bucks, and we'll get a few meals out of it, but they're even better than a loin. Not necessarily sure where the hell they're pulling that cut from, but there's a little bit more connective tissue and quite a bit more fat, which is fine by me. There's a noticeable difference in flavor between it and a standard pork loin and I'm guessing that's because of whatever muscle group is coming from. I can probably look it up and figure out what the hell it is but whatever.
i use tenderloins when recipes call for minced pork for added flavor (like how ppl are talkin this week, most of the mapo tofu flavor is pork and szechuan), slivers for soups like hot n sour, soondu bu, etc.

it's more of a "'meat garnish"

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Something I've had great success with is this: sear the loin hard, then put it in the oven to get it to about 120 degrees. In the mean time, make stuffing. And make it wetter than you usually do. When the loin is at 120 take it out, make a ring with it if you can, and put the stuffing both inside the ring and around it. If you can't make a ring, just surround it with the wet, uncooked stuffing. Put it back in the oven until the stuffing is where you want it to be. While you're letting that cook, you can make a gravy using some of the liquid in your baking dish from the loin. When everything is done, make fairly thin slices of the loin, serve these thin slices with plenty of stuffing and cover the whole thing with the gravy you made. Pork gravy is incredibly delicious, especially if you include a little bacon in it.

I've done this a lot, never feels dry, and if you seared the pork well in the first place you get a good texture combination with the pork and stuffing.

This dish pairs incredibly well with green beans cooked as you like them. Also goes very well with drunken apples, or, my favourite, drunken pears. Cook the fruit in butter and whiskey until it is soft, but not yet applesauce. A little crunch and tartness from (for example) green apples done this way is great. Add a little brown sugar to the fruit, not too much, and it's a nice plate of food.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I havent noticed this stated yet in this discussion of pork loin, but almost all pork loin I've ever been served that was cooked by someone else shared the same flaw: it was cooked well done.

Pork loin is a cut you don't cook well done, its gonna be dry as shit if you do.

• 1Truth!