Gravy's Cooking Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Back in my youth I ran a Domino's location. Commissary delivering dough late on Friday (ie..in the afternoon instead of the night before) meant doing the Friday dinner rush with unproofed dough. It was hard to work with and tasted like shit because it hadn't proofed long enough.

An often missed fact of proofing dough, is that while the main purpose of proofing is the yeast producing co2 to rise the dough, the yeast also produces an alcohol as a byproduct as well. That's why you'll see some recipes where they'll make you proof the dough, knock it down, and proof it again, because you also want a certain amount of the alcohol for flavor profile without over rising it. At Dunkin', we'd have to proof the donut dough for 45 minutes, degas it in a press, and then reproof it for another hour before going in the fryer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Back in my youth I ran a Domino's location. Commissary delivering dough late on Friday (ie..in the afternoon instead of the night before) meant doing the Friday dinner rush with unproofed dough. It was hard to work with and tasted like shit because it hadn't proofed long enough.
Yup. I worked at Pizza Hut, Domino's, and Papa John's back in the day. At Pizza Hut we used to make our own dough, proof it, and put it in the fridge. The other 2 had it delivered already proofed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
An often missed fact of proofing dough, is that while the main purpose of proofing is the yeast producing co2 to rise the dough, the yeast also produces an alcohol as a byproduct as well. That's why you'll see some recipes where they'll make you proof the dough, knock it down, and proof it again, because you also want a certain amount of the alcohol for flavor profile without over rising it. At Dunkin', we'd have to proof the donut dough for 45 minutes, degas it in a press, and then reproof it for another hour before going in the fryer.
Yep. Its why badly over-proofed dough has that nasty smell and taste. The alcohol.

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What temp are you using the oven at? I preheat the pizza steel at 500 for about 30 minutes. Then turn it down to 450 and slide the pizza in, and both sides are perfect at about 5 minutes or so, depending on size of oven/pizza. But no need for multiple steps
Preheat to 450. The "slide the pizza in" is the part I don't like about using just the pizza steel. That requires a stupid amount of flour/corn meal or I'm just bad at it. I'll roll out my dough to the rough shape of my pan and then fit it with the palm of hand. I want it to stick at the point as it helps the dough hold shape.

I might try 500, 450 is already a ridiculous temperature/time that makes the kitchen really hot in the summer. We use preshredded cheese(hard to find low moisture high fat mozzarella otherwise) and I suspect the anticaking agents(starch) impedes browning.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Preheat to 450. The "slide the pizza in" is the part I don't like about using just the pizza steel. That requires a stupid amount of flour/corn meal or I'm just bad at it. I'll roll out my dough to the rough shape of my pan and then fit it with the palm of hand. I want it to stick at the point as it helps the dough hold shape.

I might try 500, 450 is already a ridiculous temperature/time that makes the kitchen really hot in the summer. We use preshredded cheese(hard to find low moisture high fat mozzarella otherwise) and I suspect the anticaking agents(starch) impedes browning.
Wooden pizza peel, little bit of dusting flour, and blow under the pizza before sliding it in. Use cold dough and work quickly, the longer it sits on the peel the more it'll stick. Do quick back and forth motions if its still sticking a little. Source: made pizzas in a non conveyor oven for a couple years

• 2Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any recommendations for pots/pans that are basically zero maintenance? (I know there are some relevant posts earlier in the thread, but iirc, I don't think those were focused on the "zero maintenance" part.) Wife likes non-stick pans but the coating always flakes. She loves to cook, but any maintenance that isn't "throw it in the dishwasher" just isn't going to happen. (I stay as far away from the kitchen as possible and will probably get what I deserve via teflon cancer.)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Get Hexclad.

The Only True Hybrid Cookware{sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=e&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvL-oBhCxARIsAHkOiu0zVF118nx90xUV9fAf1A6Vj100qgxbiIM6yY9UptwiutQp_01wR0EaAlarEALw_wcB
test kitchen says hexclad sucks

Control Control test kitchen always recommends the oxo for non stick
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Dishwasher safe 12" Open Frypan & Non-Stick Pro Dishwasher safe 8" Open Frypan,Gray,8-Inch

i have personally never used these, looks like amazon only sells it in a 12 and 8inch set now, but honestly if youre buying 1 pan, you'll find a use for the other pan anyway.

just know that, once it starts flaking or rather if your wife is complaining that the eggs are now "sticking" throw out the pan and buy another, you just have to treat teflon pans as not lasting longer than 3 years if youre lucky.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
just know that, once it starts flaking or rather if your wife is complaining that the eggs are now "sticking" throw out the pan and buy another, you just have to treat teflon pans as not lasting longer than 3 years if youre lucky.
This. If you want the least maintenance, just buy the cheapest Teflon pan at Walmart and as soon as there's anything wrong with it throw it away and buy another one.

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Get decent stainless steel pans and if the wife can't use them then she's actually not that into cooking... and time to throw her out.

• 2Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is Lanx Lanx you are talking to. He can just stir fry her into something.
i tried a new way of fried rice yesterday, after cooking, i spread all the rice on a sheet pan and put it in the fridge along w/ this
30fbd398f71a3a64baceaf2a287cb81b.png

to dry it out faster

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This. If you want the least maintenance, just buy the cheapest Teflon pan at Walmart and as soon as there's anything wrong with it throw it away and buy another one.
maybe buy a decent teflon pan instead of the walmart great value

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users