Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Tried making bread in my Dutch oven again. Came out amazing. I think that's how I am going to do it from now on. Very easy recipe (link below for basic recipe) that you can add whatever you want to. No knead bread that has a fantastic crust and nice air pockets in the bread when it's finished. Would recommend.

That's the one. It's so damn tasty.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
literally not one person in my household drinks milk or eats it on cereal and we still use up at least a half gallon a week.

wtf man
If its a cooking ingredient, asian recipes dont really call for milk

You get thai calling for coconut milk, lulz

But i use half a gallon for coffee mixed with creamer (the real milk kind i talked about last time)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't drink milk for 20 years but someone gave me some goat milk and then some regular raw cow's milk and drinking that sort of reminded me that I like milk so I am drinking it fairly regularly again.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I didn't drink milk for 20 years but someone gave me some goat milk and then some regular raw cow's milk and drinking that sort of reminded me that I like milk so I am drinking it fairly regularly again.
Truly white privilege

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I've done a few dough recipes recently where it sits in the fridge a few days. Made a big difference over the bread machine mix and bake method. Have thought about maintaining a dough starter but would probably forget and kill it. Gotta try something because homemade pizza dough keeps not being as good as I want.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I've done a few dough recipes recently where it sits in the fridge a few days. Made a big difference over the bread machine mix and bake method. Have thought about maintaining a dough starter but would probably forget and kill it. Gotta try something because homemade pizza dough keeps not being as good as I want.
Start a pizzeria in your garage.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Start a pizzeria in your garage.

I can't even make pizza dough that I like!

I did screw up focaccia by letting it sit in the fridge for too long. After 48 hours the dough was so wet it poured out of the bowl. The dough ended up so light and puffy might do pizza hut style bread sticks or Detroit pizza with it. Was just terrible focaccia and don't think it would work for non deep dish style pizza dough.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't even make pizza dough that I like!

I did screw up focaccia by letting it sit in the fridge for too long. After 48 hours the dough was so wet it poured out of the bowl. The dough ended up so light and puffy might do pizza hut style bread sticks or Detroit pizza with it. Was just terrible focaccia and don't think it would work for non deep dish style pizza dough.

What recipe are you using? What don't you like? Keep in mind, the most important part of pizza dough is going to be texture and how thick you want it. Flavor should come from your toppings. Also, whats your cooking method? Outside of a special pizza oven, the 1/4" metal pizza plates work great

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
What recipe are you using? What don't you like? Keep in mind, the most important part of pizza dough is going to be texture and how thick you want it. Flavor should come from your toppings. Also, whats your cooking method? Outside of a special pizza oven, the 1/4" metal pizza plates work great

Have tried a few recipes. Most the dough gets too think and bready. Prefer thinner Brooklyn style, but keeps being too thick. In part because I haven't had a good oven for like three years and just been "baking" pizza in the toaster oven which was causing some of the issue.

Got a new oven that fits my cast iron pizza pan I use as a pizza stone, and a new range hood, so should be back to experimenting soon. Gonna try really smashing flat the dough like I've seen some places do, see if that helps it from getting too bready and puffed.

And yeah, have had my eye on a pizza steel but the exact size that I think will fit in my oven in a rack slot keeps not being available. Some cheap ones if anyone is interested: Factory Seconds - 50% OFF

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Have tried a few recipes. Most the dough gets too think and bready. Prefer thinner Brooklyn style, but keeps being too thick. In part because I haven't had a good oven for like three years and just been "baking" pizza in the toaster oven which was causing some of the issue.

Got a new oven that fits my cast iron pizza pan I use as a pizza stone, and a new range hood, so should be back to experimenting soon. Gonna try really smashing flat the dough like I've seen some places do, see if that helps it from getting too bready and puffed.

And yeah, have had my eye on a pizza steel but the exact size that I think will fit in my oven in a rack slot keeps not being available. Some cheap ones if anyone is interested: Factory Seconds - 50% OFF

If its too thick and bready you're either using too much yeast, letting it proof too long, or using too much dough and not stretching it out enough. Or all of the above. I also make mine a day ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge, makes it easier to stretch out. I'd start weighing out how much you use for whatever size pie you're making.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Best purchase of the year?
1695219246807.png

I'm loving my Blackstone. I've always been a cast iron pan cooker, so this is just like having that but BIGGER AND HOTTER and less setting off smoke detectors.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If its too thick and bready you're either using too much yeast, letting it proof too long, or using too much dough and not stretching it out enough. Or all of the above. I also make mine a day ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge, makes it easier to stretch out. I'd start weighing out how much you use for whatever size pie you're making.
In the restaurants I worked in that served pizza, the dough was always made the night before. If we had to make another batch we were not allowed to use it til the next day. Aging appears to matter, probably to get that right stretchiness.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In the restaurants I worked in that served pizza, the dough was always made the night before. If we had to make another batch we were not allowed to use it til the next day. Aging appears to matter, probably to get that right stretchiness.
Proofing of dough is critical.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If you like thinner crust, pizza steel/stone is very helpful. But using just the steel/stone is a pain in the ass and it cooks the crust faster than the cheese. I'll start on a regular aluminum pan for about 7 minutes or until it easily releases from the pan. Then it goes onto the steel/stone and I turn on the broiler to brown the cheese.

The only disappointment is that the dough smells very yeasty from days in the fridge and absolutely none of that comes through in the pizza.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Back in my youth I ran a Domino's location. Commissary delivering dough late on Friday (ie..in the afternoon instead of the night before) meant doing the Friday dinner rush with unproofed dough. It was hard to work with and tasted like shit because it hadn't proofed long enough.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you like thinner crust, pizza steel/stone is very helpful. But using just the steel/stone is a pain in the ass and it cooks the crust faster than the cheese. I'll start on a regular aluminum pan for about 7 minutes or until it easily releases from the pan. Then it goes onto the steel/stone and I turn on the broiler to brown the cheese.

The only disappointment is that the dough smells very yeasty from days in the fridge and absolutely none of that comes through in the pizza.

What temp are you using the oven at? I preheat the pizza steel at 500 for about 30 minutes. Then turn it down to 450 and slide the pizza in, and both sides are perfect at about 5 minutes or so, depending on size of oven/pizza. But no need for multiple steps

• 1Like