Gravy's Cooking Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't know what else is going on in this thread but Kenji Alt-Lopez does not have good recipes... or cook times. That guy is such a weirdo. "Eggs are best at this temperature sous vide which makes them have the consistency of a fucked up amalgamation of jell-o and blood sausage!" "Definitely sous vide chicken breast at this temp for this timing so it comes out looking and tasting like a sink soaked sponge!"

Seriously, ugh. That guy... no.

• 1Wow!
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
time to try some woks
58d1a0aadb3497fdb42859625b198c63.png

Sunrise Kitchen Supply 14" Japanese Style Steel Wok

i had only wanted to get the jap wok cuz it's imported, but the winco one is like 10bucks now guess i'll give it a try, it surprisingly has good reviews. my nephew said he doesn't have a wok atm (wife cooks and shes on induction), by then i'll have the new ones seasoned, or i also send my current seasoned one (i'd just have to attach a handle to it).

i'd already checked my asian grocer and those woks were thin and mass produced (no hammering), and i just don't like em. (probably why i'll try the winco and hate it)
jap wok "feels nice" the fitment for my induction wok cooker is also better, i broke down my outdoor wok station, but it'd only take a few minutes to set up again, but i haven't used the wok yet b/c i have to burn off the oil and season it. (and of course doing that outside is way preferred, and the propane burner gets it done in seconds.

winco is seemingly lost in the mail, so i'll either get it a week later, or some white ppl on my cul de sac are gonna ask me how to use their new wok soon

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone have any recommendations for a spice grinder? I've been using the Kitchenaid Blade Coffee Grinder and it gets the job done but the design makes it messy as fuck and almost impossible to clean properly.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone have any recommendations for a spice grinder? I've been using the Kitchenaid Blade Coffee Grinder and it gets the job done but the design makes it messy as fuck and almost impossible to clean properly.
I bought a cheap coffee grinder from home goods couple years ago for maybe 10 bucks, don't even remember the name but it seems to work fine. I don't necessarily think you need anything more than just one that works and turns on every time you try to use it. If it eventually shits the bed just go out and buy another cheap one. There might be ones out there that little fancier with some sort of catch cup or something, but what's the point.

Bought another cheap one though to make homemade dubbing for tying flies, that one's not holding up as well, but it's probably because of the textile stuff that I throw in there.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I bought a cheap coffee grinder from home goods couple years ago for maybe 10 bucks, don't even remember the name but it seems to work fine. I don't necessarily think you need anything more than just one that works and turns on every time you try to use it. If it eventually shits the bed just go out and buy another cheap one. There might be ones out there that little fancier with some sort of catch cup or something, but what's the point.

Bought another cheap one though to make homemade dubbing for tying flies, that one's not holding up as well, but it's probably because of the textile stuff that I throw in there

The problem I have with my current one is that it has a detachable blending cup as well as a lid that you press down to activate it, but this leaves a significant gap between the lid and the top of the cup for shit to slip outside the cup and some of it actually gets all the way underneath the cup and it's such a colossal pain the get that clean. So I'm mostly just looking for someone to say 'X version has a design that isnt a huge pain in the ass to clean'.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I found a tiny food processor that works okay and is easy to clean, but the coffee grinder works better especially for smaller amounts of things. Even works better for making egg shell powder for the dog. Almost easier to vacuum out than wipe out though.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The problem I have with my current one is that it has a detachable blending cup as well as a lid that you press down to activate it, but this leaves a significant gap between the lid and the top of the cup for shit to slip outside the cup and some of it actually gets all the way underneath the cup and it's such a colossal pain the get that clean. So I'm mostly just looking for someone to say 'X version has a design that isnt a huge pain in the ass to clean'.
Take a pic of it and post. I think I have an idea of what you're talking about but I just want to look at it. The one that I have for grinding spices doesn't have a removable cup but it's just the lid and the button deal is up on top of it. Once you slap it on and start grinding I've never had an issue with stuff escaping.

Here's the one I use. Nothing fancy but it's pretty hefty, and it does a phenomenal job. Best thing I use it for is when I'm grinding up toasted cumin or fennel seeds.

IMG_20231216_162800943.jpg
IMG_20231216_162754433.jpg

It's funny because I want to go pull it out and take a picture of my wife asked me what the hell I was doing, explain the situation and she was like I think we only paid $8 or 10 bucks or something for it. Just go to a HomeGoods and pick up something like that and you should be good to go.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

if you look at the third picture on the product page you can see that there's a substantial gap between the lid and the top of the metal bowl so the stuff you're grinding falls between the lid and the metal bowl.
It actually looks like it's a pretty decent deal where you can grind coffee with a separate cup and do spices in another. It's a nice idea, but guess it's kind of fucked up if it doesn't work like the original intention, but I can see where you're going to get shit falling between that other layer. KitchenAid is pretty damn reliable, but maybe that's just an odd product they put out that just doesn't work.

Like I said earlier though just go out and buy a cheap one and all you use it for is grinding spices. Make certain that doesn't have one of those removable cups, and you should be good to go. Just check it to see if it's got a nice solid seal on the cap, the blade looks good and it's got a heavier base.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I have two mortar and pestle, because I forgot I bought one many years prior and tried it once and was like nope. Having one actually came in handy grinding szechuan peppercorns and rosemary because of skin or flower or whatever to pick out.

Keep telling myself I'm gonna do my own curry from scratch in one but ain't nobody got time for that.

Maybe next time we have company over for dinner I'll hand grind some black pepper in one just to seem extra snobby.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Take a pic of it and post. I think I have an idea of what you're talking about but I just want to look at it. The one that I have for grinding spices doesn't have a removable cup but it's just the lid and the button deal is up on top of it. Once you slap it on and start grinding I've never had an issue with stuff escaping.

Here's the one I use. Nothing fancy but it's pretty hefty, and it does a phenomenal job. Best thing I use it for is when I'm grinding up toasted cumin or fennel seeds.

View attachment 504492View attachment 504493

It's funny because I want to go pull it out and take a picture of my wife asked me what the hell I was doing, explain the situation and she was like I think we only paid $8 or 10 bucks or something for it. Just go to a HomeGoods and pick up something like that and you should be good to go.
these are the best ones imo

i had an old proter silex
1a08b37c2f0853d61562e783850a353f.png

it only has 2 pieces the unit and the cover, you can't remove shit, which is good cuz that means shit doesn't fall down into wierd ass nook and crannies, also retractable cable!

use it for eggshells atm

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
these are the best ones imo

i had an old proter silex
1a08b37c2f0853d61562e783850a353f.png

it only has 2 pieces the unit and the cover, you can't remove shit, which is good cuz that means shit doesn't fall down into wierd ass nook and crannies, also retractable cable!

use it for eggshells atm
What's the deal with you eggshells? You and popsicledeath popsicledeath mention them. We always throw ours out in the compost bin. Am I missing something?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What's the deal with you eggshells? You and popsicledeath popsicledeath mention them. We always throw ours out in the compost bin. Am I missing something?
powdering is the best way for worms and eventually plants, they don't breakdown so you gotta have a way for the worms to eat it (all it is is roughage for worms)

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

We do home cooked dog food. Kibble is packed pretty well with nutrients, and we tried to still feed him some but he won't touch it after getting fresh food. He's always been healthy with blood work, but as a precaution we give him egg shell powder (instead of expensive supplements) to make sure he's getting enough calcium. Along with wheat germ and other random things.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We do home cooked dog food. Kibble is packed pretty well with nutrients, and we tried to still feed him some but he won't touch it after getting fresh food. He's always been healthy with blood work, but as a precaution we give him egg shell powder (instead of expensive supplements) to make sure he's getting enough calcium. Along with wheat germ and other random things.
Do you put the powder b4 or after? I read some ppl are afraid of salmonella to the point they bake the eggs then grind

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Do you put the powder b4 or after? I read some ppl are afraid of salmonella to the point they bake the eggs then grind

Rinse really well and remove the membrane, then bake, then grind. Smell bad baking, but no smell once ground even if heating.

• 1Like