Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Total bachelor night. 2 lb. steak, sauteed mushrooms, and a big glass of chocolate milk. 1% of course.

And I have about half the steak left. I feel like I let McCheese down.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I enjoy a peanut butter and bologna sandwich sometimes. Well, I used to, anyway. Wife won't let me have bologna anymore.
How does a PB&J, mustard, and deviled ham sammich sound to you?

Out camping one year when I was younger and we made a bunch of PB&J sandwiches for everyone. Friend grabs what he thinks is 2 slices of bread and slathers on mustard and deviled ham. Goes to flip the bread and jams his fingers into the PB&J. He shrugs and devours the sandwich. Nearly made me vomit. So fucking disgusting. He was also 300+ pounds so it didn't really surprise me that he ate it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I enjoy a peanut butter and bologna sandwich sometimes. Well, I used to, anyway. Wife won't let me have bologna anymore.
Went and tried this, this is a weird ass taste, maybe i needed different bologna, i got turkey.

ended up using bologna in my ramen instead, haven't bought deli meat in a while.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Went and tried this, this is a weird ass taste, maybe i needed different bologna, i got turkey.

ended up using bologna in my ramen instead, haven't bought deli meat in a while.
Tastes can change! Loved these as a kid, but went to try one more recently, and I didn't really like it as much. It was still good though!

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
Peanut butter + ramen is a winning combo, as well
smile.png

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
We sat around the table one day at work talking about the disgusting things we do with ramen noodle soup. I put milk, crackers, and chips in mine. It turns into a mush. One other guy said he cracks an egg in his at the 2 minute mark, then I think he seasons it with some slap ya mamma or something similar. I'm not sure who won that round. Everyone thought they both sounded pretty good.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
One of the more funny challenges they had on top chef I saw was making a ramen dish from ingredients from college kids leftovers. Had some unique dishes to say the least

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
cracking an egg raw in ramen/soups is pretty asian. It's a way to supercharge the soup base, i'd rather have a fried egg tho. Most disgusting thing i did to ramen was crush it up into little quarter sized pieces rip open the soup base and pour it into a ziploc bag and shake n bake it style eating that way.
I have no idea why the korean kids did this, tasted fine, i'd rather have the ramen.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Peanut butter + ramen is a winning combo, as well
smile.png
I can't believe I've never tried that. Can't eat ramen anymore either... that shit is horrible for a person's body, but I love it.

I liked adding heat and extra garlic and some oyster sauce.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Chopped up olives, blue cheese or feta and some shredded lettuce in my ramen. No im not pregnant.

Crone

cracking an egg raw in ramen/soups is pretty asian. It's a way to supercharge the soup base, i'd rather have a fried egg tho. Most disgusting thing i did to ramen was crush it up into little quarter sized pieces rip open the soup base and pour it into a ziploc bag and shake n bake it style eating that way.
I have no idea why the korean kids did this, tasted fine, i'd rather have the ramen.
Made ramen last night for dinner, and for the first time dropped an egg into the boiling water. Also cut up a chicken breast and added it as well, and the whole thing turned out really good.

I'm now on a Ramen kick, and going to sub in low sodium chicken broth instead of the flavor packet, and add cabbage, and maybe add siracha or figure out a way to add some heat.
smile.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Probably a dumb question, but when you drop in the egg, do you let the thing boil whole, or do you stir it up so that it ends up more the consistency of eggdrop soup, with little ribbons of egg everywhere?

I have zero experience with cooking asian cuisine

Crone

Probably a dumb question, but when you drop in the egg, do you let the thing boil whole, or do you stir it up so that it ends up more the consistency of eggdrop soup, with little ribbons of egg everywhere?

I wasn't sure, and opted for the sorta let it sit for a second, and give it a light stir. So it's not like egg drop soup, there were definite bigger chunks of cooked egg. Was kind of in between, and I think I prefer that. Guess you could go either way.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
or figure out a way to add some heat.
smile.png
use this, good spice for ramen/noodle broths
S&B - Nanami Togarashi

Amazon.com : House - Shichimi Togarashi - Japanese Mixed Chili Pepper 0.63 Oz : Mixed Spices And Seasonings : Grocery Gourmet Food

I'm now on a Ramen kick, and going to sub in low sodium chicken broth instead of the flavor packet, and add cabbage, and maybe add siracha or figure out a way to add some heat.
smile.png
have you tried nissin demae?
Amazon.com : Nissin Demae Ramen Variety Pack (6 Flavors) : Ramen Noodles : Grocery Gourmet Food
(not nissin top ramen thats american made, this is HK imported)

i wouldn't normally recommend this, as it's expensive at 2bucks a noodle packet, but they're trying to give you the six flavors, so theres that. Depending on where you live a packet of nissin demae should cost you a dollar. (my local asian grocer has it for 79c for reference)

if you want a better deal with less flavor options, theres this
Amazon.com : Nissin Demae Ramen, Sesame Oil, 3.5 oz (30 packs) : Packaged Asian Dishes : Grocery Gourmet Food
at 30bucks for 30packets it's a good price for the standard flavor.

if you haven't already you can try the chewier/spicier korean noodles by nongshim, shin ramyun
Amazon.com : Nongshim Shin Noodle Ramyun Gourmet Spicy, 4.2-oz. Packages, 20-Count : Ramen Noodles : Grocery Gourmet Food

you can actually find these at walmart

Crone

Great finds! Reason I would sub in the chicken broth is lower sodium, and I feel better flavor. Will check out those other ramen noodles. It's not a huge deal, because by using chicken broth, all I'm doing is using the noodles themselves.

But I have a feeling it's going to turn into a staple, because it was so good, and actually filling with the chicken + egg, so I better do research and perfect the process.
smile.png

Gravy

Bronze Squire

I have no experience, but I believe I've seen it both ways. I think if you keep it whole, you might leave the yolk runny to mix in the soup?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, you break open the poached egg before you eat it and get all that rich yolk. That's how I've seen it usually.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Another option is to put the egg, still in the shell, in with the noodles. Pour in the boiling water, let it sit for three minutes, then gently crack the egg into the soup and let it sit a bit more. You'll get a quasi poached egg feel to it, and, like Soy said, concentrated yolk deliciousness which is awesome with the noodles.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
One thing i left out, i don't know if most of you do it, but also the cracked raw egg in noodle/ramen is to give the broth a heavier/richer feel at the end when it's drank, don't know how many of you drink it at the end, usually instant ramen soup base is too heavy for me. (i can do the korean nong shim)